1/2 scale foam ironman build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally understand the strange looks. I turned up to one of my jobs similar to yours with boxes of steel rings and 2 pairs of pliers. A week later those strange looks were no more and had transformed into admiration of the chain mail I had made :)

Looking forward to the next update and Gratz on the new position.
Tom.

@Drack, that is hilarious how people look at you all crazy and then when they see the results they are then surprised and blown away by your work.

Foam Review

So yesterday the foam samples came in the mail!!!! It was like Christmas for me.
Although I have not done anymore as of yet on the build I decided that this was worth a quick review.

First the Volara
066365cd324712aebe1e6eeef14e861d_zps248d2f4c.jpg

Volara is a quality foam, but not for armor building. It has a shiny coating on it, that when bent has wrinkles on the inside of the bend. The density of this foam is not similar to EVA, Foamies, or Craft Foam. It compresses very easily. Volara is more of a packaging foam.

The Minicell
2a8f0ce0538ed47063fa496e17f9cb6e_zps2f7ce3bb.jpg

This Minicell foam is AMAZING, it has the exact same feeling and texture as EVA, Foamies, or Craft Foam. It is just as dense as EVA, Foamies, or Craft Foam. It is rigid and has the same compression as the EVA, Foamies, or Craft Foam. This is what i will be ordering. :$ It is relatively cheap and can be ordered in sheets 60" x 72", (60" x 72" x 1/8" sheet - $11.85/ea) , prices depend on thickness of course.)

The Neoprene
814796cd47bea3f749263b2dd01051df_zpse5c70c8d.jpg

This is another awesome product. This neoprene would be great for use as the "under Armor" layer for a Master Chief, or any other armor that has a Layer exposed. This has great stretching properties and it comes back to shape really well. Being a rubber/foam combo tho if it were to be used for an "under armor" layer I would suggest only using it on the sections where it is necessary bc this will not breathe well at all. I would also suggest strategically placing small holes in it to allow for breathing. Neoprene is what they use to make wet suits, just for a comparison.

Alright Builders of all armor that is my quick review of the foams I sampled.

These products came from www.foamforyou.com also i ordered on Friday 10/5/12 and received on Wednesday 10/10/12. Shipping rates for a full sheet (60" x 72") are a bit high, it states on the website that sheets can be cut down to reduce cost.

Keep the projects going everyone,
Until next time,

Inviktus

*** This is just a review, I sampled these products and reviewed them for the purpose of sharing information with others on this forum. I have gained alot of knowledge here and i figure i can try to give back and share knowledge I have gained. I dont want anyone thinking this is an advertisement for the site or that I am any way affiliated with this website. ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back