10 things that you may or may not want to know about Bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. The more hardener you add, the faster it will cure. This is also affected by humidity.

2. Bondo creates an exothermic reaction. Meaning; it generates heat when it cures. Not unlike fiberglass resin, plaster, urethanes, etc. Don't get it on your skin. If you do, wash it off before it starts to set, it can burn you.

3. Bondo will ruin your clothes. Wear old ones.

4. Bondo smells bad, and has harmfull chemicals in it(some known to the state of California to cause cancer and other birth defects)...But what doesn't cause that, according to California? All kidding aside, WEAR A RESPIRATOR, and only use in a well ventilated area.

5. Never put it on your pets(Just to cover ALL grounds). You never know with some people :/

6. Wood carving tools work wonders for getting corners, and details just right. Where the dremel or sander just can't get into. Especially for carving lines or reccessed areas. Files are also a great tool for getting smooth edges where precision is key. You can also make your own custom tools with a bar stock and dremel. They're wonderful.

7. Measure measure measure! Symmetry can be achieved by eye with practice. But perfect symmetry can be achieved by using a fabric measuring tape. They come in dead handy for getting that ever so illusive symmetry. Caliphers can also come in handy for that as well.

8. Bondo can be removed very quickly with an orbital sander. Sometimes to quickly, be patient. I use 80 grit to take down the bulk. Then when I have the shape that I want and it is smooth, I switch to 120 grit. After that, use a sanding sponge. You get get a wonderful surface with that. If you are molding it, you have a very smooth master to mold and do whatever damage to the casts that you want. If you're not molding it and you want a battle damaged look, well then a smooth surface is not what you want.

9. This stuff takes time and practice, use plenty of both. The internet is an endless pit, full of information...Use it. Don't rush yourself, take the time you need to get it right. The end result will be worth it. You want something to be proud of, and you will if you take the time to get everything just right.

10. Try starting from scratch with the poster board instead of using someones pep files. Yes it takes more time. Yes it is harder. But what happens if there isn't a pep of a piece you want to make? I love the idea of using pep files(haven't used one yet) just as much as the next guy. But it is just so gratifying to start from ground zero and work up to a finished piece. Plus it will only make you better :)

Hope you guys enjoyed my topic. It was my first one like this, so let me know what you think. Also feel free to check out my Security helmet WIP(link in my signature). It was started from scratch as I discussed.

Your Security Helmet is perfect and right now I'm working on a Gray Fox helmet so this could be very useful. I made a clay version then casted a plaster one and as of now I'm fighting with symmetry. I don't know if I will need bondo but your work makes me think maybe thats where I should of started. :D

I have a #11 if it's ok. Bondo and primer for that matter absorb water like a sponge. You should put a layer of paint over them if there is any chance of your work getting wet. Especially if those products are used over metal as the water will rote the metal and all your hard work will eventually fall apart as rust builds. It's better to wet sand paint then primer.

good advice for people who have never worked with bondo before :)

i like #5.. i tried to reshape my dog once.. felt he was a bit too small so i wanted to bulk him up a bit.. carve a bit here and there.. perfect!!
ahahahaha JOKE!

but seriously .. thats kind of random.. or am i reading it wrong? :p

good advice for people who have never worked with bondo before :)

i like #5.. i tried to reshape my dog once.. felt he was a bit too small so i wanted to bulk him up a bit.. carve a bit here and there.. perfect!!
ahahahaha JOKE!

but seriously .. thats kind of random.. or am i reading it wrong? :p

Haha, that one was a joke. I agree with you misfit. It would not be fun to have your work fall apart. Fortunately I havent had it happen though. :D

Your Security Helmet is perfect and right now I'm working on a Gray Fox helmet so this could be very useful. I made a clay version then casted a plaster one and as of now I'm fighting with symmetry. I don't know if I will need bondo but your work makes me think maybe thats where I should of started. :D

Grat Fox from Oblivion, or Gray Fox from Metal Gear?

4. Bondo smells bad, and has harmfull chemicals in it(some known to the state of California to cause cancer and other birth defects)...But what doesn't cause that, according to California? All kidding aside, WEAR A RESPIRATOR, and only use in a well ventilated area.

Yet one more reason I am glad I don't live in California, no birth defects for me!

Good writeup propcustomz, bondo is a tricky beast and it does take practice. Should also add to #1. if you use the same amount of hardner at 85 degrees that you did at 60 it's probably gonna kick off before you have it mixed (one little fun fact I forgot about when I started this project)

Yet one more reason I am glad I don't live in California, no birth defects for me!

Good writeup propcustomz, bondo is a tricky beast and it does take practice. Should also add to #1. if you use the same amount of hardner at 85 degrees that you did at 60 it's probably gonna kick off before you have it mixed (one little fun fact I forgot about when I started this project)

Yes very true. I meant to put that, I guess I jusr forgot after the humidity part.

#7 makes me glad, considering I actually do have a fabric measuring tape. Besides finding a respirator, the only thing I'm worried about is smoothing out the piece unevenly, though I assume that it requires some practice.

Things that you may or may not want to know about Bondo
1. Learned to the hard way. "This is also affected by humidity".. and Heat.

2. Yes its burns. [learned to the hard way] not burn the skin drastically but the feeling is uncomfortable

3. Learned to the hard way.

4. WEAR A RESPIRATOR, agreed.

6. Wood carving tools work wonders... this will help me

8. sometimes the sanding creates a beautiful 'battle damage' effect.

9. This stuff takes time and practice... And a lot of patience.

Also feel free to check out my Security helmet WIP(link in my signature). It was started from scratch as I discussed.

Honor to whom Honor Deserves

1. Learned to the hard way. "This is also affected by humidity".. and Heat.

2. Yes its burns. [learned to the hard way] not burn the skin drastically but the feeling is uncomfortable

3. Learned to the hard way.

4. WEAR A RESPIRATOR, agreed.

6. Wood carving tools work wonders... this will help me

8. sometimes the sanding creates a beautiful 'battle damage' effect.

9. This stuff takes time and practice... And a lot of patience.

Honor to whom Honor Deserves

AGREED :D

And thank you sir.

You could use spot putty for that I think, but I have yet to cast anything so I'm not sure what to use with Slim cast. Keep in mind spot putty is like Bondo just in a tube. It wont burn you sands super easy so don't sand to hard. Also spot putty (the automotive kind) smells WORSE than Bondo and will knock you out if you inhale it to much so a respirator is a MUST.

Ok will it work on my plaster model or should I wait till after I cast it... I ask because the plaster seem to have small/tiny scuff marks and scratches and no matter how much I sand I find more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back