1st build masterchief 3d halo 4 + undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, today I am going to show you how I made the thermoforming machine,
IMG_20210923_194813.jpg
I am not going to go into details of the measurements, since I understand that each one will make the machine according to their needs and I will not go into the type of material in this case wood, only in the errors What did I do and how did I solve them?
I bought a pegboard used to hang tools on the wall, so I didn't have to drill the "suction bed",
IMG_20210924_171448.jpg
then raise the bed above the level of the thermoforming machine so that when I put it on top, the frame with the plastic sheet, make more vacuum. I also put a foam frame around the suction bed to make the perfect vacuum, in the first attempts it did not vacuum properly, since then everything was better, in two of the corners of the suction bed, I put a wooden rod as a guide so that when you put the hot plastic it will go straight down to the mold.
Also say that the aspirator I use is not very powerful and it still worked very well
IMG_20210923_194707.jpg
, I used some tubes to attach the aspirator to the center of the vacuum machine, I did not want the suction socket to be on one side I preferred the suction to be more uniform.
IMG_20210923_194702.jpg

To heat the plastic I used a horizontal toaster, at first I had my doubts, and I didn't know if it would be enough to reach the temperature, but then I realized that it is enough even more, I made a wooden structure lined with paper of aluminum to prevent the wood from catching fire, and everything went quite well, nothing caught fire.
IMG_20210923_194737.jpg

I also made a cardboard lid lined with aluminum foil to cover the heating oven and it will take less time for the plastic to reach temperature, it also worked that once the plastic was burned, it reduced the heating time by half (this has been translated by Google)

Hello, the mold is made of plaster.
I first made the visor that came with the 3d printed helmet model in PLA.
IMG_20220811_204253.jpg

Then I made a negative cast in plaster and filled it in plaster to get the negative out, I don't have pictures of the process but I had to repeat the positive cast up to 3 times, after a lot of sanding, fill in 10x I finished something half decent
IMG_20210825_232806.jpg
, at this point I must say that even though the mold is resistant, very heavy which comes in handy when empty, I think it is better to make a 3d printed mold and that's it, once you master the technique with one or two attempts you get a good viewer and it doesn't make much sense to have a plaster cast for a single visor, unless you want to make more visors to market

Hello, the mold is made of plaster.
I first made the visor that came with the 3d printed helmet model in PLA.View attachment 321712
Then I made a negative cast in plaster and filled it in plaster to get the negative out, I don't have pictures of the process but I had to repeat the positive cast up to 3 times, after a lot of sanding, fill in 10x I finished something half decentView attachment 321713, at this point I must say that even though the mold is resistant, very heavy which comes in handy when empty, I think it is better to make a 3d printed mold and that's it, once you master the technique with one or two attempts you get a good viewer and it doesn't make much sense to have a plaster cast for a single visor, unless you want to make more visors to market
It's looking good. Thank you.

After several attempts at thermoforming, it was very difficult for me to unmold the visor and I thought that a little foam on the sides would help me take it out more easily,
IMG_20220811_211053.jpg
and it didn't, it didn't help me unmold it more easily, but I discovered that the plastic that was fallen on top of the Foam was more transparent and could be seen better through it, than the one that was in direct contact with the plaster, that's why I lined the mold with Foam from above as well and it gave me quite a good result,
IMG_20210923_194643.jpg
I hope I have explained myself well (translated by Google)

Hello, to be finished with the thermoforming of the visor.
This is the type of plastic I use.
IMG_20220811_212551.jpg

The temperature at which I heated the plastic was 155°C and a heating time of approximately 2 minutes, the glass has to make a kind of bubble of about 4 or 5 cm and it is only necessary to turn on the vacuum cleaner and put the frame with the hot plastic on top, I have to say that it is necessary to wear a mask (because of the vapors and the bad smell) and gloves so as not to burn (in the video I forgot to put them on because of the recording).
Say that I also used a wooden stick to make the little bumps on the viewfinder that were not marked on the video if they were not clearly visible.
Also to say that this was my ninth attempt to get a decent viewer, thank you very much for following, I leave the video here.

I love your build for the fact you're making Halo 4 Chief alone and that you're taking time to do all the details on it :love:
Thank you very much, and let me tell you that your Commander Palmer thread has been a benchmark of detail and scale, very good job, looking forward to seeing your new suit, and I also hoped that the commander would come out in the halo series, too bad, good luck with your suit (translated by Google)

Thank you very much, and let me tell you that your Commander Palmer thread has been a benchmark of detail and scale, very good job, looking forward to seeing your new suit, and I also hoped that the commander would come out in the halo series, too bad, good luck with your suit (translated by Google)
Thank you so much! I'm very honored to hear that. I hope to deliver even better with this one.

What you would you estimate the price of making a thermoforming machine at?
Hello, as for the price is not much:
-vacuum cleaner €60
-horizontal toaster €19
-perforated board €9
The rest would be some screws, silicone, wood and some PVC pipe, I can't calculate the cost of the wood because I made it with some thin boards that were left over from a reform, I don't think it was more than €40 for all these things like that that between €100-150 of total cost I would say. (translated by Google)

Hello, while I am still solving the mobility of the leg area, I have made the gloves again, because the first ones were tight, the pieces of the armor of the hands are made in 3d and the details of the glove's inner suit are made in 2mm black foam and painted with silver airbrush paint, with a template I made printed in 3d,
IMG_20220905_212648.jpg
IMG_20220830_202202.jpg
IMG_20220905_212334.jpg
IMG_20220905_211655.jpg
just like the dolls painted in silver with airbrush with a hexagonal template printed in 3d, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back