3d Printable Spartan Laser

Discussion in 'Halo 3D Modeling' started by macktruck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. odst ajr

odst ajr New Member

If you put a recharging port on the end you could make a recharging station like they have in lore

2. macktruck

macktruck Jr Member

Perhaps I will, but I need to know exactly where it is. If you can, upload a photo pointing EXACTLY so the spot your talking about.

3. macktruck

macktruck Jr Member

I'm not really sure what that's suppose to be. I thought those copper tubes were some kind of cooling system for the laser, but it kinda looks like it's a lever for an ejection or loading system. But there'es nothing inside. I posted a question about that a few posts ago. I really want to find a way to incorporate a LCD into this.

4. macktruck

macktruck Jr Member

Okay, 2 out the 3 prints for the handle finished so it gives a good idea how the handle looks and sizes up against my hand. I have to admit, it's not a comfortable grip as I can't fully close my hand. A decrease of circumference of 8% probably would make it feel much better. Remember Spartans are huge super soldiers. The last piece for the handle that I haven't printed yet is the prism to align the pieces. I suggest using the prism so that everything aligns and so it gives the connection added stability. You really don't want those pieces coming apart if you grip it hard. . I also suggest something to be inserted into the slide while gluing so that precisely aligns. It's taking a while to print, I'm printing at .05mm layer height so every piece is taking a full day to print.
    Both pieces seperate:
    20170911_035856.jpg
    The space where the alignment prism fits:
    20170911_035908.jpg
    A picture of how my hand grips the grip:
    20170911_035945.jpg
    A reference of the size of my hand (because your hand might not be the size of my hand)
    20170911_035924.jpg

I'm not really feeling inspired right now, so I will pick this up tomorrow. This thing is going to be made of ALLOT of pieces, but I think ti will be worth it. No need to waste tons of filament on support, and the print will actually look good.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    mkshane81 likes this.
  5. macktruck

macktruck Jr Member

Here is some of the work I did today, You can see the derivative work to the left and the original to the right. I'm holding off on finalizing this back part. I want to see if I can get some kind of AC plug fitted into it. IMO, the circle with the handle looks like a fuse. I would like to make them removable. This back section is going to be made of about 5 layers. Each layer will build upon the previous. fuse_update.png

6. Gunthar1895

Gunthar1895 New Member

you have some pritty amazing work going on there

7. macktruck

macktruck Jr Member

Sorry everyone, I've had to be responsible lately and pay bills. I ran out of white PLA filament and I frankly don't like the black PLA that I have because it's hard to see the layers and where it needs sanding. Once I get more financially comfortable, I will continue this and my Master Chief Costume. I shortly entertained the idea of making a full size Halo tank, but quickly realised it would cost more to bring it to Dragon Con then actually building it. :p

mblackwell1002 likes this.