3d Printable Spartan Laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry I meant the laser tube cover
Ya the portion that lifts to expose the barrel is a key feature. Trying to find a way for it not to get worn out. Might not look exactly accurate Trying to desighn the 2 rotating parts of barrel and recoil. Hoorfully all while still easy to disassemble for maintenance.

Random idea, magazine of lithium batteries to power everything.

Last edited:
You will also notice that the Halo 5 version does not have any sort of display. This is because of VISR-LINK technology.
Actually it kinda has one.
Looking at some idle animations i noticed the small scope of the H5 variant.
httmawps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYo0WPwa6BI
You see it around the 2:18 mark.

Maybe that`s for normal UNSC personel without the smart scope tech/ VISR-Link?

macktruck
Would be a cool feature if added.
Nice work so far! (y)

Last edited:
Ya the portion that lifts to expose the barrel is a key feature. Trying to find a way for it not to get worn out. Might not look exactly accurate Trying to desighn the 2 rotating parts of barrel and recoil. Hoorfully all while still easy to disassemble for maintenance.

Random idea, magazine of lithium batteries to power everything.
If you put a recharging port on the end you could make a recharging station like they have in lore

Actually it kinda has one.
Looking at some idle animations i noticed the small scope of the H5 variant.
httmawps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYo0WPwa6BI
You see it around the 2:18 mark.

Maybe that`s for normal UNSC personel without the smart scope tech/ VISR-Link?

macktruck
Would be a cool feature if added.
Nice work so far! (y)
I'm not really sure what that's suppose to be. I thought those copper tubes were some kind of cooling system for the laser, but it kinda looks like it's a lever for an ejection or loading system. But there'es nothing inside. I posted a question about that a few posts ago. I really want to find a way to incorporate a LCD into this.

Okay, 2 out the 3 prints for the handle finished so it gives a good idea how the handle looks and sizes up against my hand. I have to admit, it's not a comfortable grip as I can't fully close my hand. A decrease of circumference of 8% probably would make it feel much better. Remember Spartans are huge super soldiers. The last piece for the handle that I haven't printed yet is the prism to align the pieces. I suggest using the prism so that everything aligns and so it gives the connection added stability. You really don't want those pieces coming apart if you grip it hard. . I also suggest something to be inserted into the slide while gluing so that precisely aligns. It's taking a while to print, I'm printing at .05mm layer height so every piece is taking a full day to print.
Both pieces seperate:
20170911_035856.jpg
The space where the alignment prism fits:
20170911_035908.jpg
A picture of how my hand grips the grip:
20170911_035945.jpg
A reference of the size of my hand (because your hand might not be the size of my hand)
20170911_035924.jpg

I'm not really feeling inspired right now, so I will pick this up tomorrow. This thing is going to be made of ALLOT of pieces, but I think ti will be worth it. No need to waste tons of filament on support, and the print will actually look good.

Last edited:
Here is some of the work I did today, You can see the derivative work to the left and the original to the right. I'm holding off on finalizing this back part. I want to see if I can get some kind of AC plug fitted into it. IMO, the circle with the handle looks like a fuse. I would like to make them removable. This back section is going to be made of about 5 layers. Each layer will build upon the previous.
fuse_update.png

Sorry everyone, I've had to be responsible lately and pay bills. I ran out of white PLA filament and I frankly don't like the black PLA that I have because it's hard to see the layers and where it needs sanding. Once I get more financially comfortable, I will continue this and my Master Chief Costume. I shortly entertained the idea of making a full size Halo tank, but quickly realised it would cost more to bring it to Dragon Con then actually building it. :p

I've been working on the quality of my print and cleaning up the model.

In this mean time, I've been compiling a parts list for all the electronics. This is what I got so far:
Different types of servos:
A power sullply for testing:
LCD:
Micro-Switch for trigger
Rotary Switch:
Camera:
Camera extension cable
Leds

Very thanks, nice work

Ugh..... lost about a dozen hours of work. Somehow the file saves are getting overwritten. Guess it's back to manually saving backups with consecutive numeric names.

Ew gross, sorry to hear man. Yeah I'm sure it's frustrating, I used to do the same thing with Pep unfolds.

Is there no way to get incremental saves into a seperate folder automatically?
I do that now, additionally i do a backup on an external harddrive. Had way to many throwbacks in the past :unsure:
Good to see you back on track!

Is there no way to get incremental saves into a seperate folder automatically?
I do that now, additionally i do a backup on an external harddrive. Had way to many throwbacks in the past :unsure:
Good to see you back on track!

Depending on the program used, kind of. Fusion 360 has built in User Save revisions as well as the Timeline feature that lets you step through operations performed on models which acts as a autosave type thing.

macktruck do you have access to previous versions under the file properties through Windows File Explorer?

Timeline feature that lets you step through operations performed on models

I use Rhino and installed a Plug-In called Symvol which does the same. It saves my commands as a list independently from the 3d model. That way i can re-import it into a new file if the actual model has failures or gets corrupted. Pretty neat.
Absolutely worth it, most of this add-ons are even for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back