3D printer HELP thread

Does it home to some endpoint on the Z axis before or does it just blindly stop? If if homes before, you'll probably have to set the Z offset manuall, if it doesn't, I don't know what would be causing that.

Does it home to some endpoint on the Z axis before or does it just blindly stop? If if homes before, you'll probably have to set the Z offset manuall, if it doesn't, I don't know what would be causing that.
When I hit the leveling button, it automatically goes to home, but it doesn't lower. Then it goes to the center of the bed, and then just raises up.

So it knows its absolute position on the machine? Id guess the probe might be triggering it then, but the BL touch probes light up when they trigger I believe, so you would see that. Wierd.

So it knows its absolute position on the machine? Id guess the probe might be triggering it then, but the BL touch probes light up when they trigger I believe, so you would see that. Wierd.
Yeah I dunno, it doesn't even get close enough to the bed in order for the sensor to touch, I dunno how else it would be triggering it. Altho you might be on to something, this problem did start after I replaced the probe.

Is it exactly the same type of probe? I don't know if there are active high active low ones, but that might cause issues like this if it's the wrong one.

Is it exactly the same type of probe? I don't know if there are active high active low ones, but that might cause issues like this if it's the wrong one.
I bought it on Amazon, but as far as I can tell it's the same one, there's nothing else on the listing that says anything about active high or low or anything like that. I did take out the pin and hit the level button to see what It did, and it just did the same thing. Nothing changes whether it has the probe or not.

May not be the probe then, or it expects the two pins of the 2 pin connector to be normally connected and they aren't, which wouldn't change if you unplug if. You could try connecting them with a wire and pull it out when if gets somewhat close to the bed. Also, does it retract the pin when it's powered up? According to the manufacturer it should do that and it should also have a QR code on the PCB. They also describe how to start a self test via GCode. here

May not be the probe then, or it expects the two pins of the 2 pin connector to be normally connected and they aren't, which wouldn't change if you unplug if. You could try connecting them with a wire and pull it out when if gets somewhat close to the bed. Also, does it retract the pin when it's powered up? According to the manufacturer it should do that and it should also have a QR code on the PCB. They also describe how to start a self test via GCode. here
Yes it retracts and yes it does have the QR code, but it just brings you to some links (two of which are like coding and wiring stuff that I know nothing about) and the other one just brings you back to the antclabs home page. The probe I got was the official one so there shouldn't be any problems there. It does flash red when it's powered on, which According to the website means that there's an issue (obviously) but I have no idea what.

I'm very new to 3D printing as I just got my first printer, so please excuse any incorrect terminology. I got the printer set up and nothing will print. Its an Ender 3 pro and it came with two files on the SD card that came with it but not even those will print. It looks as the gear feeding filament is skipping and I looked it up and the most common response is either the bed is to close or it is clogged. The only problem is it looks like insides the motor is where its skipping not on the exterior. Despite that I have tried cleaning the nozzle a few times and I adjusted the bed so in all corners its about twice the thickness of a sheet of paper. I am also using the small amount of filament that came with the printer as I figured it would be better to start although I did get a few spools with it that were suggested along with it on Amazon. Any tips for someone new to 3D printing would also be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm very new to 3D printing as I just got my first printer, so please excuse any incorrect terminology. I got the printer set up and nothing will print. Its an Ender 3 pro and it came with two files on the SD card that came with it but not even those will print. It looks as the gear feeding filament is skipping and I looked it up and the most common response is either the bed is to close or it is clogged. The only problem is it looks like insides the motor is where its skipping not on the exterior. Despite that I have tried cleaning the nozzle a few times and I adjusted the bed so in all corners its about twice the thickness of a sheet of paper. I am also using the small amount of filament that came with the printer as I figured it would be better to start although I did get a few spools with it that were suggested along with it on Amazon. Any tips for someone new to 3D printing would also be GREATLY appreciated.
The first thing I can think of is make sure your hotend is heating up and staying heated. If the display shows the temp go up and hold try lowering the print bed and feeding the pla by hand. You can do this by compressing the spring on the extruder and slowly pushing the filament into the machine. If you can hear and feel the nozzle hit the print bed while leveling the bed, it's too close.

There should be the option to simply heat the nozzle and even have the extruder feed filament without printing anything. You can use these setting too to be sure things are working on their own.

Some other simple things to check would to be sure everything is wired up right and check that the filament isn't caught somewhere. The extruder gears might be too tight or maybe not tight enough to actually feed the pla.

If these checks are all done and everything works but the printer won't print or the extruder skips it might be a bad extruder or motor? I had a similar issue when I forgot to undo a roll of pla from the spool but still fed everything into the hotend. Any more details and what is or is not happening?

The first thing I can think of is make sure your hotend is heating up and staying heated. If the display shows the temp go up and hold try lowering the print bed and feeding the pla by hand. You can do this by compressing the spring on the extruder and slowly pushing the filament into the machine. If you can hear and feel the nozzle hit the print bed while leveling the bed, it's too close.

Some other simply things to check would to be sure everything is wired up right and check that the filament isn't caught somewhere. The extruder gears might be too tight or maybe not tight enough to actually feed the pla.

If these checks are all done and everything works but the printer won't print or the extruder skips it might be a bad extruder or motor? I had a similar issue when I forgot to undo a roll of pla from the spool but still fed everything into the hotend. Any more details and what is or is not happening?
Well it says its holding the heat and I made sure the bed isn't low enough to be touching. I put the extruder in each corner and adjusted the bed accordingly with the bed screws underneath. I have been able to hand feed it, that allows the project to print. That is how I came to the conclusion is seems to be something around that motor. I also didn't see any snags in the filament but the tubbing isn't clear so I cant 100% tell. I can try adjusting the gears idk how to I`ll have to google it. I tried adjusting the speed and on another attempt increasing heat of both the bed and the extruder as those were all suggestions from my searches but it didn't work either.

Well it says its holding the heat and I made sure the bed isn't low enough to be touching. I put the extruder in each corner and adjusted the bed accordingly with the bed screws underneath. I have been able to hand feed it, that allows the project to print. That is how I came to the conclusion is seems to be something around that motor. I also didn't see any snags in the filament but the tubbing isn't clear so I cant 100% tell. I can try adjusting the gears idk how to I`ll have to google it. I tried adjusting the speed and on another attempt increasing heat of both the bed and the extruder as those were all suggestions from my searches but it didn't work either.
This video is about the ender 5 extruder tension spring. It should be identical to the ender 3 pro one. Most parts are easy to take apart and put back together but I would highly recommend getting a second opinion and/or talking with Creality before dismantling anything.

PLA prints better for me around 205c to 210c but I've not had this issue with my extruder.

This video is about the ender 5 extruder tension spring. It should be identical to the ender 3 pro one. Most parts are easy to take apart and put back together but I would highly recommend getting a second opinion and/or talking with Creality before dismantling anything.

PLA prints better for me around 205c to 210c but I've not had this issue with my extruder.
The problem he is having sounds exactly like mine I can barely pull the lever to split the feeder when I was loading filament. I`ll see if I can find anything about that on my model. Thanks for the help.

The problem he is having sounds exactly like mine I can barely pull the lever to split the feeder when I was loading filament. I`ll see if I can find anything about that on my model. Thanks for the help.
Hopefully you get it sorted out. 3D printing is a lot of fun but some things can be a pain. If you do end up taking those few bits apart it should be fairly simple to put back. Don't over tighten anything, pretty sure that one gear not connected to the motor should turn freely.

not sure if this is the right place to ask but im using PETG on an ender 3 pro so i don't have a ton of print space, is it ok if i use the maximum print volume or should i cut it into pieces? like i paid for the whole bed can i use the whole bed?

not sure if this is the right place to ask but im using PETG on an ender 3 pro so i don't have a ton of print space, is it ok if i use the maximum print volume or should i cut it into pieces? like i paid for the whole bed can i use the whole bed?
Depending on the size of the print, you will have to print it in pieces an bring it all together.

You can use however much your slicer lets you use. The whole bed will be heated, however you will likely find the bed has "margins" where the nozzle can't reach, and thus is unprintable. Also, if you're like me and have a glass bed held down with bulldog clips, you'll want to factor them in too as they can get in the way.

You can use however much your slicer lets you use. The whole bed will be heated, however you will likely find the bed has "margins" where the nozzle can't reach, and thus is unprintable. Also, if you're like me and have a glass bed held down with bulldog clips, you'll want to factor them in too as they can get in the way.
Right now I'm using the magnetic bed cover that came with the printer, would you recommend upgrading to glass or is it more of a preference?

Right now I'm using the magnetic bed cover that came with the printer, would you recommend upgrading to glass or is it more of a preference?
If your prints are working well with a magnetic, there's not really any reason to change - mine came with the glass bed, and I've been pretty happy with it. I find it heats well, is simple to clean, and makes it easy to level as you can use the nozzle's reflection to estimate distance

If your prints are working well with a magnetic, there's not really any reason to change - mine came with the glass bed, and I've been pretty happy with it. I find it heats well, is simple to clean, and makes it easy to level as you can use the nozzle's reflection to estimate distance
Good to know thanks!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back