405th Mentor Programme 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, i'm about to start a new vegas scratch build and i need alot of help. a mentor with experiance in foam builds and vacume forming would be nice.

I've teamed you up with Devious.

Update:
I've also had to do some reassigning because Toacrabman got banned.

You're supposed to set a good example as a veteran, please keep that in mind. We can't expect new members to learn the rules from people who don't know them.

Hey all!

I'd really love to get a mentor to help me.

Someone with multiple expierences of building armor and getting some quality results out of it.

I am wanting to make a complete -upperbody armor. (torso, Helmet, arms, maybe gloves if that will work, with the intentions in mind.)
This is going to be for my DJ performances. I am a Dubstep producer, and soon going to spin out my own tunes live.
Since the type of dubstep I listen to contains alot of transformer sounds, I figured it would be GREAT to have a bit of a robotic suit, while performing. This also the reason, Id like it to have some quality haha.

this however means, that I dont want to make a Halo armor, but my own design instead.
I read that I need to model it out in 3Ds max (or any other 3D software) And then load it into pepakura designer and unfold it? I have no idea how I would do that, but atleast I know how to model my things out in 3D.

Also I am total noob in making armor. I dont understand half of the process, I know what to do in big rough lines, but thats about it...
I also have never made any armor. I DO remember I made little things out of paper, just in the way with pepakura designer when I still was a 7 year old kid. My grandma printed these things out for me to build. (they were just small things, like Mario characters in a mini-scale)

If anyone with years of experience and that can make good armors reads this, please drop off a PM!

I would really love to get some help from a pro, and finish this project, to get me some kickass DJ performances, and to stand out mroe out of all the other DJs!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Ventrue,

To be a mentor on here, do the same rules apply as before? Like needing to have completed a build or enough experience in a project to be a mentor? Just curious.

Hey all!

I'd really love to get a mentor to help me. [...]

I've teamed you up with B1ahh.

Hey Ventrue,

To be a mentor on here, do the same rules apply as before? Like needing to have completed a build or enough experience in a project to be a mentor? Just curious.

I don't think Nintendude had made it a rule to have any completed projects to become a mentor. I do know that being an Infantryman was required, and I intent to keep that rule. Beyond that, people will hopefully have a realistic view of their own capabilities. Still, I check every single application and I will reject applications if I really think that member isn't up for it.

Well. I have some decent skill into this foam build Idea and I've got alot of great tips to help any body on working one. and I have The Idea down on sizing. I'm also working on building a Vaccu-former. If you have any body needing help located in or around Cincinnati, Ohio or at least a US resident, I'd be more than willing to help them get started. With a Faom build that is. But it does include alot of pep.

I don't really get to talk to Deadalus that much, and he's been a great help. Once I start casting and mold my own, I'll be turning to him more.

I'd like to mentor if possible.

I have a ton of foam, a dremel, and time. I was going to use it to build Mass Effect armor that's my goal so any help using it, learning to scale it would be awesome.

Glad this is up and running again. I must admit, I've been less than perfect in my mentor role, as my (mentee?) hasn't really had any questions, and thus, I've been inactive as a mentor for quite a while. While ownnemesis has done nothing wrong, he just hasn't really had any questions. Maybe you could give me an additional mentee?

As for my "mentor focus", I've experience with fiberglass, bondo, spraypainting, a very small amount of experience with foam, and a bit of experience with hot glue hardening.

Also, thanks for starting this up again, and keep up the great work ventrue :)

I don't really get to talk to Deadalus that much, and he's been a great help. Once I start casting and mold my own, I'll be turning to him more.

I'd like to mentor if possible.

PMed you.

I have a ton of foam, a dremel, and time. I was going to use it to build Mass Effect armor that's my goal so any help using it, learning to scale it would be awesome.

Teamed you up.

Ventrue, I am happy to help anyone in any way that I can. I've sent a message to my apprentice and I'm not sure how well I can help him/her with foam building. (as I have no experience.) I am willing, but I want to make sure that he/she has as useful a mentor as possible, and I'm sure there are more experienced people here than I am in the areas needed.

I'm not sure how much you know about my abilities since it seems you're the one running the mentor program now soooo, I'm going to list everything I am confident in helping people with:

Cardboard builds of all kinds.
Anything to do with cardboard.
I am creative with scratch builds.
I am good at coming up with creative/inexpensive solutions to complex problems.
Minor skills in liquid latex/cloth (novice)
Random junk from around the house.

I have NO knowledge in:
Pepakura
Fiberglass
Scaling things. (I do everything by eye.) Although, this is kind of a fib...my range of knowledge in this matter is limited to taking the size of the thing in-game and making it proportional/to scale with a human, just with simple math. I don't know how you pros do it; I imagine it has something to do with computers or programs of some kind.

I feel bad because I am limited in my knowledge but I am still willing to help.

Maybe you could give me an additional mentee?

There is none available right now I'm afraid, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I feel bad because I am limited in my knowledge but I am still willing to help.

That's the completely wrong way to look at this. You aren't "limited in your knowledge" - you have a unique skillset. And you can add scaling to it as well, because simple math (cross-multiplication, right?) is just what everybody uses :)
I think that skillset might come in handy when building something "unusual" like ME armour.

Also, keep in mind that one important part of this is to help your mentees just find their way around the forums, and I think every mentor can do that, regardless of focus. In fact, there may be occasions where not knowing something and helping them find the info is worth more in the long run than just giving it to them.

hi, im a noob, just started on my first helmet and i need some help with sum things. please sign me up for the mentoring program. :D
Skywalker

i would like to request a new student.

mine has not been on line for a week and has never requested help or even asked a question. he now has over 100 post as well.

BTW i specialize in everything but advanced molding and under suits. call it "intermediate"

I would like to put my self up as needing a mentor now. I know that I am mentoring someone, but I want to get into the mold making side of the hobby, and seeing as how the materials are on the expensive side, I would like to be paired up with someone who has experience in this area. Thanks. :)

hi, im a noob, just started on my first helmet and i need some help with sum things. please sign me up for the mentoring program. :D
Skywalker

I've teamed you up with Lunar Lord.

i would like to request a new student.

mine has not been on line for a week and has never requested help or even asked a question. he now has over 100 post as well.

BTW i specialize in everything but advanced molding and under suits. call it "intermediate"

I'll move you down to the available list, but while you're waiting for a new student, please do try to get in touch with Scrub and at least tell him about your decision.

I would like to put my self up as needing a mentor now. I know that I am mentoring someone, but I want to get into the mold making side of the hobby, and seeing as how the materials are on the expensive side, I would like to be paired up with someone who has experience in this area. Thanks. :)

I'll send you a PM about this in a minute.

Sent Deadalus a PM and an email. I'm available to mentor. I'm pretty Spiffy with the Foam and I know how to size in my own way.
Preferably someone who'd like to learn about foaming. And located in the US, would be a plus.

I have tried contacting my Mentee but I never got a response. Let me know if I need to be teamed up with someone else.

Ithica

Excuse me. I would like to build my own armor. I think I have the skills thanks to my plastic model and model railroading hobbies but on a scale like this is entirely new to me but I love the look of the UNSC armor and wish to build my own but am at a severe disadvantage on terms of software issues. The computer I'm using is a mac 10.4.11 and since it's a family computer, I don't dare run boot camp and my favorite PC to Mac conversion program CrossOver does not support perakura.
A new season of Sci-fi Science is around the corner and I became a hard core fan when I saw a Spartan Mk 4 there. So I want to join in the fun with my own armor.

Sent Deadalus a PM and an email. I'm available to mentor. I'm pretty Spiffy with the Foam and I know how to size in my own way.
Preferably someone who'd like to learn about foaming. And located in the US, would be a plus.

Alright then.

I have tried contacting my Mentee but I never got a response. Let me know if I need to be teamed up with someone else.

Ithica

Sorry to hear that. It's surprising actually, he seemed rather anxious to start...

When I have a moment I'll send out a few more advertising PMs to new members and see if we can find a few mentees for you and the other unassigned volunteers.

Excuse me. I would like to build my own armor. I think I have the skills thanks to my plastic model and model railroading hobbies but on a scale like this is entirely new to me but I love the look of the UNSC armor and wish to build my own but am at a severe disadvantage on terms of software issues. The computer I'm using is a mac 10.4.11 and since it's a family computer, I don't dare run boot camp and my favorite PC to Mac conversion program CrossOver does not support perakura.
A new season of Sci-fi Science is around the corner and I became a hard core fan when I saw a Spartan Mk 4 there. So I want to join in the fun with my own armor.

I'm sorry but I'm not really getting your point? If you want to enter the programme, please do say so explicitly.
If you're asking for a solution to your software problem, this is the wrong thread I'm afraid - and besides, it looks like you've already gotten the only correct answer to it on your Marine armour thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back