40K Space Marine - Scratch Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is looking awesome so far, definately going to follwo this thread

also, just to get a rough idea, about how long does it take you to carve a piece?

Thanks for commenting all.

nrettenmaier - Umm the helmet was done over a few weekends (and still has a ways to go). Rough estimate 8-10 hours?? The chest so far is probably 6-7 hours. Plus I tend to do a lot of sketching before hand to try get a good mental image of what the piece should look like.

monk1junk1 - Thanks for the heads up. You had a bad experience? I was planning on doing a mold and cast anyway. Hopefully silicone isn't bad for foam.

I Did some more shaping this morning. I think it must be said that symmetry can be a pain! I think I have most of the main shape in place now. Next step will be fine tuning some areas, and working on symmetry. Then it will be to the filler stage to fix all my mistakes. I still need to find a better material than polyfiller, which I tried earlier. It didn't bond all that well on the helmet. I am thinking of using clay for fixes and details. If anyone has any tips or ideas let me know.

chest014.jpg

chest012.jpg

chest015.jpg

chest016.jpg

I will try get some pics with the helmet included next update. But I think I need to go out of town for work come monday.

A friend helped me with mine... Black Templar... still need to paint details... I think we need to get a couple more Space Marines and have a go at the Spartans!

Ohhh man you are SO on man, bring it ON!

ps. SPARTANS NEVER DIE (jacka$$)

Mendez - Haha, true enough. They are only MIA. But I am sure we could make a few of you disappear. Haha.

Progress... finally!

I spent the last five months out of town for work, before coming home for the holidays. Upon having some free time I became inspired to build. And I am glad I did. The last two days brought the skeletal, yet functional beginnings of a POWERFIST!

powerfist010.jpg

For the uninitiated here is a full powerfist:

sm_Space20Marine20Sternguard20Veteran20with20Power20Fist.jpg

So the model is functional as is, but it still needs a lot of work. All the moving parts are good to go, and I can make a full fist. I need to mount a few things and get the strings set to the right lengths. Then I need to build all the coverings.
Does anyone have ideas for good materials to build the shell? I was thinking foamboard and/or plasticard.
I saw a tutorial a while back on DeviantArt on how to do this build. He deserves a shout out. http://aternox.deviantart.com/
Here are a few more pics of the build:

powerfist002.jpg

powerfist003.jpg

powerfist005.jpg

powerfist008.jpg

powerfist009.jpg

I am excited to do the finishing touches, and punch things, haha! WOO!

hi just wondering,what do you call the material you are using ie the foam and do you use hot wire to cut it or what?

Thanks all. glad to see that I am not the only one who is overly excited by this project, haha.

I recently just found out about the ANGRY MARINES, and they are awesome! I still have no idea what chapter I want to paint this costume as, but they are a good possibility.

Kelly - The foam I use is insulation foam, the kind they use to build houses... or insulate them, not build. It comes in big sheets and I get it from Home Depot, but most any building supply store should have it. I have heard of the hotwire technique, but have not used it myself. I use a saw for really big cuts, then an exacto knife or pocket knife for anything smaller than that. Hope that helps.

I finally got some hobby time in! It has been way too long. I have spent far too much time thinking about how to make this thing better, but I think most of my thoughts would require an entire new build. So I am attempting to at least finish this one, even if it isn't perfect. I have built up the fingers using cardboard, as I have it in abundant supply right now. I still plan to cover the fingers in plastic/sintra/pvc foam for the finish. However I think that I may need to paint the pieces before I put them on. But I figure that I can rough everythign out with carboard, and then worry about detailing afterwards. I am also not sure how to go about covering the gaps in the knuckles, or if I even need to. Let me know how it looks.
IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back