40K Space Marine - Scratch Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandun - I have seen videos of your work, and it is amazing. Thanks for the comments (thanks everyone).

Seeing as there has been a positive response to the Bolter, I decided to open that project back up. I did alot of sanding and smoothing, and other small details, so unfortunately not much of it is very apparent in pictures. I cut grooves into the ammo magazine, and did some shaping of the gun sights.

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3782.jpg

As I also started the patching work on my helmet. The filler I am using doesn't dry as fast as I would like, but I was going fairly thick in some spots. So I have sanded and built it up in several areas. In between drying and sanding on the helmet I did some mor esanding on the forearm, and it is pretty much ready. The only downside of the foam is that almost anything will easily nick it. So I don't think I will ever have it prefectly smooth. But some of the little nicks work well as minor battle damage.

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

I was also planning on laminating more foam for the chesst piece but realized too late that I did not have enough foam. Oh well, future projects. Does anyone have any advice on molding and casting, becasue I am curious to try that out. Or should I just read through the forums?

Clothar,

Great job!

I did a scratch build bolt pistol out of insulation foam. I'm mighty impressed with your helm though. I may very well do the same for mine as I'm struggling with a pep helm!

Nice to see another SM Build :)

Watching this topic!

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Will-043 - thanks for the comments!

Celtic - Thanks as well. How did your pistol turn out?

Tiki - You are right, the bolter is a beast. But I wanted it to be big and mean looking. Bolters look pretty big in the GW mini's too, and I tried to go to roughly that scale. As for weight I don't know exactly, but I struggle to hold it out with one hand. I should grab some pics of it being held next time I get to my shop. The plan is to cast one later and hopefully lose a lot of the weight in the process. Maybe cast it hollow and then fill with foam or something.

Cheers,

I lke the bolter! Great job!

Of course, I have Thor's bolter... and it's great! Before the Bolter by Thor and Chainsword by Lee I was thinking of going with the sliced weapon thing... I have the files for the bolter and chainsword... but this year I took the "easy" way out!

Das Wife and I are still going to try the sliced weapons, but now there is no pressure.

Something you may want to try is to put a little more weight right above the pistol grip, it'll balance the prop better, making for an easier to carry gun, yo!

Again, love the Bolter!

nice job, so far, I took the even easier way out, I modded a Nerf Gun into a bolter, its not as beefy as y'alls bolters, but mine fires and took make less then a couple hours to do :) most of it was cutting out those damn aqullas for the raised emblems

Hey, I like what you've got going on here! I'm a big 40k fan, and am looking forward to seeing this progress.

Also, could you describe this lamination process? I'm unfamiliar with it, and I'm going to be working with some insulation foam for a few build parts later this summer, so maybe it can help me.

Hi sorry for delay in reply CLOTHAR,

The pistol turned out OK, BUT since it was my first scratch build I just used a block of insulating foam and free carved it. Didn't refer to the miniature or anything just went from memory. It's OK. It'll do for any immediate use but I'll more than likely make somethign better. Quite fancy a flamer ;)

Thanks all. I sort of disappeared for a while. But I have a free long weekend and hope to get some work done.

Brutus - thanks for the comments and ideas. However I don't think this prop needs any more weight, haha. My overall plan would be to make a cast of it, and hopefully lighten it up that way, and then I can make more than one as well. IF I do get to casting it, I might use your weighting tip, it could be very useful.

Amancue - That is awesome that your bolter fires. Jealous.

Extra-crispy - Thanks. Laminating goes like this. You basically take sheets of your material and glue them together. I did it with the bolter and my armour pieces so far. I used wood glue, and it worked great for the wood, and is pretty good on the foam. The only down side is it is very rigid once dry, so you feel when you hit it between layers of foam. But yeah, take your sheets of foam, apply glue of choice to both surfaces ( I brushed it on, to get it even) then stick it all together. Then you want to clamp it together or weight it all together so that there aren't any gaps. Let it all set up, then you have a newly solid block of material.

Celtic - A flamer would be very cool.

It seems like ALOT of people are makeing space marrine outfits!... and hardly any of them are makeing them in the whole "Print it out on card and then build from there"...

... I hope that I'm doing the right thing here!! O_O

dude beast ass skill dude very nice scuplting have fun wth chest tho i think it might be easy tho seeing you kileed the helm dude and most of the armor is like roundish

Hey all,

Thanks again for the comments. Forgive my absence. I do have some progress now, though it may not be entirely exciting. A few weeks back there were some questions about my method. I started a thread in the creation forums on laminating and working with foam for any who are interested:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...ials-for-scratch-building?p=436501#post436501

And in doing so I built my 'block' to get started on my chest. The glue needs until tomorrow to completely cure so for now all you get is a block.

laminate.jpg

I think I mentioned before that the helmet is on hold until I get through the rest of the suit roughed out. I need to learn a few more things before I get into fine detailing.

Clothar

OOOHHH Curvy!

Got some time to start hacking away at that block, and making it nice and curvy. I think it is coming along nicely, though I have made a few errors. I cut one notch in the back the first day I worked on it, and I have no idea why. Have you ever done that, where you do one thing one day, then come back to it and have no idea why? Oh well it might get worked out in the sculpt, or filled in later. It is really rough at this stage but it feels good to have this started in earnest. PICS:

chest001.jpg

chest002.jpg

chest004.jpg

chest007.jpg

chest009.jpg

chest010.jpg

I might be going out of town for work soon, so progress may slow down. But let me know what you think. Comments and criticism welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back