Status
Not open for further replies.

cujo3131

Cujo3131's Video Tutorials : Updated!

Hey 405th,

I posted this over in my ODST build thread but feel like it might have
gotten missed by most people... so I decided to create a new thread
for the Styrospray discussion....

This is my first time contributing a video at the 405th... so be easy on me!

I hope it's informative and you guys find some idea in it....

thanks for watching!

Cujo3131

Last edited by a moderator:
That stuff is pretty cool. I like how it doesn't melt the styrofoam.

One thing to keep in mind is for extra reinforcement, you could use some fiberglass cloth on the inside. That will strengthen it a lot, and you won't have to do a bunch of plain coats.

Very nice video Cujo. Your armor is coming along nicely. My family and I are in the process of moving, so my projects are on hold for a while, but I plan on getting the Styrospray 1000 to use on my foam. Thanks again for pointing me in that direction.

That was an awesome video and really gave a lot of information on this new product. I have some plasti-dip now and was going to use it for my foam suit but I might have to look into this stuff now.

I don't recall you saying what was the drying time for this product and how long you waited between coats so if you could let us now that would be great.

Again your suit is looking really good and I hope to see the end result as soon as you can get it done. Good luck!

Very nice video Cujo. Your armor is coming along nicely. My family and I are in the process of moving, so my projects are on hold for a while, but I plan on getting the Styrospray 1000 to use on my foam. Thanks again for pointing me in that direction.

tmccarty23: May be joining you on the moving thing in March... if all goes well, may be purchasing my very first house... Quite excited! Thank you for the compliments!

JUSTINIAN-117: thanks for the tip... I will definitely have to try that! Thinking about using this on the inside as well instead of rondo.....

WrathPrime: Drying time: Varies depending on ambient temperature in room and humidity. This is "cool" cure resin... doesn't heat up like a fiberglass resin... so no melted foam... but that being said... it needs a decent room temp to cure. The e-mails I recieved from the company basically said that at about 75-80 in room with about 40%+ humidity, drying time between coats should be about 40 minutes if you use VERY thin coats... Full cure to hardness in 12 hours.... I would say my lab has been around 60 degrees or so with low humidity and I think my dry times were about 4 hours or so... slower definitely... but I contribute that to thick coats and cold weather here in Wisconsin....Hope that answers it... I have a more detailed e-mail with more info in it if you want....just e-mail me....

Thanks to the rest of you that posted too!

Glad my first video didn't tank :p

Cujo3131

That is an excellent video! I look forward to seeing some follow up on how it works with the eva foam. Your pace in the video was good, you stayed on point (which I can never seem to do) and kept it succinct while addressing most of the concerns that might come up. Keep up the videos, you do a good job. I must say I am jealous of your work space! What do your students think of your hobby?

Brandon,

Thanks for the kind words on the video... much appreciated!

As for my kids....Well between my middle school and high school classes, there are different opinions....

The middle schoolers pretty much think its cool.... the HS'ers aren't sure what a 40 yr. old fat guy is doing making Halo armor..... but between 6 classes, I have 6 students making various Halo helmets.... and one odd duck making a iron man helmet....

The two best looking so far are from girls :p And they are doing Jun's helmet.... go figure :p

But they are trying something different and being exposed to something they might not see otherwise in the "midle of nowhere covered in 10ft of snow & more cows then people, Wisconsin" I give them the Pep Viewer and Designer on a flash drive and a few files to play with... explain to them the basics... show them the materials to use... give them a flyer to take home and they work on it themselves... and come back and ask me for input or advice.... I even added a pep page to my 3D class page for the HS kids:

http://staff.clintonville.k12.wi.us/cmsteched/3D/index_3D_3.html

It's not a complete walk thru of all things Pep.....but it gives enough to get the students interested.... and honestly... Building a interest in something carries SO much further then just teaching them everything.... if they have their own curiousity they'll pursue it on their own.... I am pretty pleased with what they are doing at their age so far....

Thanks again everyone for looking!

Ok.....

Here is tonight's update and tutorial video....

Tonight I tackle Hugh Holder's new whouldr bases in foam....let me know what you think.....

Thanks for looking!!!!!!

Cujo3131

Last edited by a moderator:
Major warning!!!!!!!

Ok folks.... a little Styrospray update today.....

Spent the day today putting the first few coats of this tuff on my armor core.... yep, I finally took the plunge and started covering some of my armor.... and things we3re going well... was using a small trim foam roller... it was looking great....

BUT.....

stupid me for some reason took my gloves off during clean up... and I got my hands coated in this stuff... didn't take long for it to set on my hands.... Denatured Alcohol... paint thinner... acetone.... nothing worked to remove it completely from my skin... after call the manufacture (yes I was that freaked)... the told me to lotion my hands and give it some time and it would just peel off....

Now after the chemicals my hands are a bit red and irritated....

My warning to you.... WEAR YOUR DANG GLOVES!!!!!

this tuff is a pain in the cleanup department....

LOL....

Cujo3131

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back