After 2 Years, I Finally Finished My Helmet Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright this has been on the backburner for months now. This is flying squirrels hd helmet from a long time ago lol. I did a lot of battle damage on it because that's how i wanted it. Visor is in the mail. not perfect, but hey it does the job for me lol. now to finish the other pieces within the next ten years...

1 year ago:

CIMG0004-2.jpg

CIMG0003-2.jpg

CIMG0002-1.jpg

CIMG0001-1.jpg

now:

100_2577.jpg

100_2576.jpg

100_2575.jpg

100_2574.jpg

100_2572.jpg

100_2571.jpg

100_2570.jpg

edit: i'm not actually cross eyed, i was just having fun with the pictures lol. feel free to make fun of that tho!

i know, right? lol I have all the pieces built and resinned though. I have the chest fiberglasses and partially bondoed. maybe by Reach's release i'll have it done. i'm going to try and get as much done before ODST as i can though.

Hey dude, great job on the helmet, it looks fantastic. If you do as good of a job on the other pieces, no matter how long they take to complete, you will certainly have a fine suit of armor.

By the way, just wondering how you got such a nice weathered look with the silver and stuff:

i used Ithica's method of weathering. I spray painted the whole helmet silver using rustoleum silver spray paint. Then i took a paint brush and dipped it in petroleum jelly and went over a lot of the edged to make it look scratched. then 5 layers of Italian olive green krylon paint lol. then i took a wet rag and wiped off all of the jelly. i had to use a not so coarse steel wool to get some of the jelly to come off. then i light sanded it with 1200 grit sandpaper to make the edges of the battle damage smooth. then i took black acrylic paint and used a foam brush into each recess and scratched area and wiped it off with a paper towel. some of the paint would stay in the cracks because i cant reach in them and it would dry quick. turned out great though! then i'm still doing layer upon layer of clear coat right now though. i have 6 layers so far but i'm going to do 10 for good measures.

Hey thanks for the reply, I think I'll use that same method for my ODST helm and hope that it will come out less than half the awesomeness of yours ...

Well after 2 years it came out really nice! lol You have achieved the weathered look quite nicely. You should really get to work on the rest of the pieces! :)

Nightshade said:
Hey thanks for the reply, I think I'll use that same method for my ODST helm and hope that it will come out less than half the awesomeness of yours ...

No problem, i figure plenty of people have helped me so why not share the wealth? i'm sure your ODST will turn out amazing. I would hope it's at least twice as good as mine because i can look at my helmet and spot an imperfection from each angle haha.

SoullessSin said:
Wow nice helm :D

Why thank you kind sir :p

HaloGoddess said:
Well after 2 years it came out really nice! lol You have achieved the weathered look quite nicely. You should really get to work on the rest of the pieces! :)

Thanks, i was really worried that i over did the weathering but i figured it's easier to cover up the weathering than to redo it. I'll try to get my torso done within the next couple of weeks and i'll definitely put it up here for you all to see.

HeavyGunner said:
Awesome Sauce. Two years, and it was certainly worth it! Slow and steady wins the race every time ;)

I LOVE AWESOME SAUCE! well kind of two years, i built 3 versions of this helmet, fiberglassed 2, and bondoed and finished this one. I wasn't satisfied until i made the third one. so kinda slow, but really picky haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope mine comes out a fourth as good as yours lol. On my 3rd helm also. First one was just the low detail MC, but that was before I read about getting the size right (way to big). The next 2 are both the same as yours here. Second one came out to small. I have a big head. So that one is going to my 10 year old son. Just started the 3rd one today. Wish me luck. I wish you luck but I think you have a handle on it. Keep up the great work no matter how long it takes.

Wow, I remember you! Dood. I was on the same boat. I JUST finished my helmet after a year. Haven't worked on it until this summer. By the way, it looks amazing.

24 more years until you're fully done

Brainal said:
Wow, I remember you! Dood. I was on the same boat. I JUST finished my helmet after a year. Haven't worked on it until this summer. By the way, it looks amazing.

24 more years until you're fully done

yeah i remember you too! i showed you how i did my brim with the recesses and what not. I think i took the first couple of pictures for you specifically lol

Edit:

Anyone know who it was that did the decal sticker for the visors? i dont feel like doing the dual visor right now, not at least until i have more money. I

dylan Snyder said:
i used Ithica's method of weathering. I spray painted the whole helmet silver using rustoleum silver spray paint. Then i took a paint brush and dipped it in petroleum jelly and went over a lot of the edged to make it look scratched. then 5 layers of Italian olive green krylon paint lol. then i took a wet rag and wiped off all of the jelly. i had to use a not so coarse steel wool to get some of the jelly to come off. then i light sanded it with 1200 grit sandpaper to make the edges of the battle damage smooth. then i took black acrylic paint and used a foam brush into each recess and scratched area and wiped it off with a paper towel. some of the paint would stay in the cracks because i cant reach in them and it would dry quick. turned out great though! then i'm still doing layer upon layer of clear coat right now though. i have 6 layers so far but i'm going to do 10 for good measures.

what is the clear coat for?

the cleat coat seals the whole helmet. I'm using a flat clear coat so it removes some of the glass as well. It just protects the layers of paint by putting a clear layer over. It's suggested that you do use a clear coat to protect the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back