Aliens M41a Pulse Rifle (from a Nerf Stampede!)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Combust, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Combust

Combust Member

"The M41A Pulse Rifle is an air cooled, fully automatic, short- to mid-range combat rifle. Made of light alloy plates, it fires 10x24mm Armor Piercing Caseless Rounds from a 100 round U-bend magazine in either semi automatic, four round burst, or fully automatic rates of fire. The magazines could only practically hold 99 rounds and were usually underloaded to 95% capacity to avoid jamming. The Pulse rifle has a small battery powered digital readout screen that displays number of rounds left in the magazine; the battery is located in the handgrip. With a retractable stock and an underslung 30 mm PN grenade launcher, this weapon can be used as a carbine and an assault rifle."
    http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/M41A_pulse_rifle
    [​IMG]

Ive decided that I want a Pulse rifle (lol) and will be made from a heavily modded Nerf Stampede (which fires fully automatically from clips). Whats more its almost the right size and shape to be compressed into the paper craft Pulse Rifle from the esteemed Jan Rükr from http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/aliens_papirove_modely/aliens-m41_gb.html. Anything that cannot be cut and trimmed will be covered and disguised as well as I can manage.

5133083037_89eec3007e_z.jpg
    5133684362_2494b22d7e_z.jpg
    5133084275_9612cbe601_z.jpg
    5133084577_e52d428941_z.jpg
    5165264563_8323180c98_z.jpg

Once i have finished pepping (Which im using to keep me occupied at night while i wait for the weekends to work on the Fallout 3 power armour helmet) i will resin and test fit the shroud to get a better idea of what needs trimming. Then i will pour resin into the shroud pieces, seal the hole then rotocast it to get a nice even amount of resin on the inside. The layout will be damn close once i remove the battery pack from the stock. This can be replaced with 4AAs somewhere later as well as making an LED readout and sound module.

(I have most of shroud parts complete but no photo as yet.)

Watch this space.

Attached Files:

2. alix965

alix965

Very nice. VERY, VERY NICE. It's about time someone did a conversion for the Stampede.

3. becks

becks Jr Member

Oh the pulse rifle, one of my all time favorite sci-fi weapons. I swear from watching aliens to much and all the time I spent on the original AVP game I can pick out the sound of one firing from a mile away!

4. Combust

Combust Member

Thanks guys :)

This is the audio module im going to use http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=73
    Im not sure how it will sound but it will be worth testing either way.

On a side note, i dont think anyone has made a pep of the flame thrower yet... :(

5. becks

becks Jr Member

Go go Smartgun!
    "Hey Vasquez have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
    "No, have you?"

6. Shadow1336

Shadow1336 Member

Oh man! I was going to do this too! Looking good!

7. Combust

Combust Member

Quick update with most of the shroud peices finished:

5167625245_3e889d94cb_z.jpg

The upper area is mostly straight, the slight buckling can be sanded out. For the sake of completeness i will pep the entire thing baring the little knobs and dials etc. Ill add them to the body later.

Attached Files:

8. OptimusWang

OptimusWang Jr Member

That's coming out really nice. Are you going to add the LCD counter as well, or just paint it in?

9. Combust

Combust Member

Indeed i will. A working counter with an IR sensor in the barrel (Although it may only hold 10 darts) and sound module will be added after its together. Eventually.

10. Combust

Combust Member

Oh and the sections are just resting together at this point, not glued together.

11. Zombhs

Zombhs Jr Member

Yeah, if you so feel inclined mind posting links of the counter and sound module you get? It'll help my AR project out.

12. Jester1014

Jester1014 Well-Known Member

Doesn't it just tickle your innards when you hear of people making working replicas of this bad boy?
    Sorry If I haven't read far enough in but I have a stampede. and I'd like to try this build too. Could I get a point in the right direction for a pep on this?

Wait sorry, I found the link, but I don't think you mention that it will not print or run through pep. I had to download their program.
    Ok so the program they have won't run right on my comp or was their something you had to do to print out yours?
    Would be nice to get a Smart Gun pep too.

13. Combust

Combust Member

Absolutely. I havent started that side of things but once i do ill post everything i use. It should be based around an Arduino microprocessor.

14. Combust

Combust Member

Unfortunately there is no pep for this, its just a straight pdf/jpg of the cutouts. He said to size to to 90-95% to have 1:1 (Or something like that.)

15. wheelwrench

wheelwrench New Member

This is looking really good so far. That Stampede looks like it could be serviceable for a HALO AR too.

16. Combust

Combust Member

Now before my update i just want to get this off my chest:

I HATE THIS PEP (Not really a pep but anyway... back to my rant.) I hate hate hate it. It took me 3 hours solid cutting and gluing this horrible thing!
    5197667895_76f2a4096d_z.jpg
    5198266248_21590a3c99_z.jpg

Resining the various pieces.
    5198266598_3ec5fa1718_z.jpg
    5198269416_298fa408c8_z.jpg
    5197672609_376191765e_z.jpg
    5197672915_c12ef1d78c_z.jpg

Rondo poured into the bits, and on the whole it came out well. A few kinks but it will all need to be bondoed/sanded.
    5198271252_e920a9aefc_z.jpg

Oh hey too much catalyst (On a hot day) causes lots of heat, a rather scary sound, and smoke :D Ill have to try this on a colder day as everything cured too quickly (even though the ratio was lowered to almost nothing).
    5197674693_725ec6ff46_z.jpg

And after lots of small bondo hits and sanding, voila!
    5198273448_2a101b2992_z.jpg
    5198274038_1f0d99f1dc_z.jpg
    5198274316_16a537402a_z.jpg
    5197677453_951bd06bcb_z.jpg
    5198275832_24b477ca42_z.jpg
    5198276630_2b9d79c1bc_z.jpg

To do list:
    Find a Nerf recon/Longshot Front gun to hack into the 'Grenade launcher'.
    Add more rondo to the main body.
    Sand like there is no tomorrow.

Things not to do:
    Add too much catalyst on a hot day. Ie be very mindful of the heat/ratio.

Things to be mindful off:
    Resin and printer ink do strange things. The resin doesnt fully saturate through the ink so you have to resin/rondo the inside of things.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

17. Combust

Combust Member

Well ive made some progress (Mostly from favours called in for help with the code) on the Ammo counter.

I will be using an Arduino to run everything as the support and open source nature of it is amazing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino
    220px-Arduino316.jpg

More specifically i will be using the Make, Hack, Void's Arduino clone, the MHVBoard.
    http://www.makehackvoid.com/group-projects/mhvboard-arduino-clone
    [​IMG]

A few single digit 7 segment displays (Or a dual display):
    LED2X7SEGLG_300.jpg

A few resistors, an IR sensor, micro switch and other bits and pieces.

The first version of the code was simple psudo-code that i managed to cobble together. It gives the idea of the behaviour, no matter how incorrect it is :D.
    Code:
    While clip_in = true
    do
      Increment ammo to 95 quickly once.
        If fire_pin = true
          ammo --
          If ammo = 0
            Stop
          End if
       End if
    End while.

After calling in some favours (Thanks Projectgus and Devdsp! You are both helping me learn by doing.) the following code was produced:
    Code:
    #include <seg7.h>

uint8_t ammo_count = 0;
    Seg7 display1 = Seg7();
    const uint8_t fire_pin = 18;
    const uint8_t clip_pin = 19;

void setup()
    {
     display1.attach(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9);                // units
     display1.attach(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17);  // tens
     pinMode(fire_pin, INPUT);
     pinMode(clip_pin, INPUT);
    }

void loop()             // Main loop for all functions
    {
     until_clip_in();
     count_to_95();
     while_clip_in();
    }

void until_clip_in()            // Loop waiting for the clip to be inserted
    {
     display1.write(0);
     while(digitalRead(clip_pin) == false) {}
    }

void count_to_95()              // Increment ammo counter to 95
    {
     for(ammo_count = 0; ammo_count < 95; ammo_count++)
     {
       display1.write(ammo_count);
       delay(100);
     }
    }

void while_clip_in()            // Fire and decrement ammo counter
    {
     while(digitalRead(clip_in))
     {
       if(digitalRead(fire_pin) == true)
       {
         ammo_count--;
         display1.write(ammo_count);
         if(ammo_count == 0)
           break;
       }
     }
    }
    Please note i am using the Seg7 library to control the displays:
    http://blog.2of1.org/2010/08/27/arduino-library-for-7-segment-displays/
    https://github.com/2of1/seg7/raw/master/README.txt

I will have to add a debounce section to the Fire_pin as when its triggered, it will trigger high/low very quickly then settle on high. Switch bounce.

More to come!

Let me know if there are any questions and how im going :) I tend to rely on pictures to tell the story.

Attached Files:

18. glen

glen Jr Member

great job so far and I cant wait to see how you finish this.

19. Biscuits

Biscuits New Member

Looks good man!

20. Noble6

Noble6 New Member

21. Goosebot 5000

Goosebot 5000 Member

this is a very VERY interesting build! i cant wait to see the finished product and to steal the idea from you so i dont have to pay out the wazoo for a kit!

22. Ranger Jean

Ranger Jean New Member

Nice rifle! Truely some good work, thats what I call effort :)

23. thatdecade

thatdecade Well-Known Member

Yay arduino! Have you purchased the sound module you linked to yet?

I found it on sparkfun and and they have lots of info on using it, including this arduino example: googlecode

24. Combust

Combust Member

Yeah i saw that. Amazing. Unfortunately all airsoft guns are illegal in Australia (Even though we have legal painball guns and Aus Battlegroup (Or something like that) that fire bb pellets.

There are even problems with importing those movie prop Pulse rifles. They are too much like a replica... *shakes fist*

25. Combust

Combust Member

Thanks Glen, Biscuits, Goose and Jean :) It means alot!

Im now onto pepping the last bits of the barrel ontop of the grenade launcher... I wish this was in Peppakura as there are some bits that arent completely clear in the instructions. It would be nice to be able to swing the view around.

5207961842_c301499cbb_z.jpg

Attached Files: