Amount Of Silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterChief

Jr Member
I wanted to know a couple things:
1) Do I need all the silicone in a Rebound 25 gallon tub to make a Mrk VI helm?
2) If not, how do I separate it so that it doesn't dry out in between curing?
3) Same as 2 except how do I for when I add the thickener to make the seams?

Again sorry for another topic in the molding section, I think it's my third on one page

MisterChief said:

Again sorry for another topic in the molding section, I think it's my third on one page

Most guys will tell you to only mix what you can use at that given time. After you mix the two parts together there is no saving it, it will continue to cure. I dont do helmets so I dont know question 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not use the entire gallon kit but you will likely need more than you get in the sample kit.

MisterChief said:

1) More than the trail for sure...just use a little bit at a time. Use the Smooth-On website to figure out your volume, Watch the videos.
2) You don't need to separate it out..only poor out what you need
3) Poor out what you need to make seams....and add thickener

So I should use a separate container to mix in, but do I have to wash it or put foil in it like when resining because of the hardening?

MisterChief said:
So I should use a separate container to mix in, but do I have to wash it or put foil in it like when resining because of the hardening?

Mix in one container, and then pour into another for applying. Are you even going to use rebound, because not alot of people do here. I was ,but chose not to.

To make a parting seam, you need smooth on's Thi viex, just add 1 or two drops, mix and then make the parting seam after 4 layers of rebound.

Use this:
Part One
Youtube Link Part One
These are questions that you need to do your research first then ask. Smooth-On's Website will give you 95% of everything you need to know.
(sorry if sound like a jerk...I wouldn't be posting this if I wasn't trying to help you. Just try and do more research first before you make a topic.

JediStumpy is right. There are a ton of videos you need to be watching to learn. Heck, watch Adams last podcast for starters. Looks like it will cover everything you are asking in the 3 parts he is releasing. The best thing you can do is research.

Trick is to brush on about 3-4 coats of the stuff in order to get a successful mold. Then use it to paint a parting line (2-3 coats) for indexing with the mother mold. Mix it by coat and apply and let cure to a tacky feel before applying the next one. One gallon may not be enough to get all of it but it will get you started.

You will probably need about 3 of the trial size kits to do a helmet, maybe 4 depending how thick you want your mold. Thi-vex will work for thickening up the mix for the seams, but you'll need more than 1-2 drops. I just squirt it in there. Best way is to squirt a little in, mix, and continue until you get the right consistency. I find two squirts enough, and when I pull out my mixing stick it should leave a little peak in the rubber that's stiff enough to stand on its own.

I would mix about 8oz (that's 4oz of each part, measured by volume) for the first coat, and same for the second. It should be thin enough to see through basically. Next coats can be thicker, you'll probably need some thi-vex mixed in there to stop it sliding off.

In my experience there's no need to mix in one container and then pour into another, but do get yourself some decent mixing containers. I use 12oz and 64oz ones, which have useful markings on them for most stuff.

Beau Nidle said:
You will probably need about 3 of the trial size kits to do a helmet, maybe 4 depending how thick you want your mold. Thi-vex will work for thickening up the mix for the seams, but you'll need more than 1-2 drops. I just squirt it in there. Best way is to squirt a little in, mix, and continue until you get the right consistency. I find two squirts enough, and when I pull out my mixing stick it should leave a little peak in the rubber that's stiff enough to stand on its own.

I would mix about 8oz (that's 4oz of each part, measured by volume) for the first coat, and same for the second. It should be thin enough to see through basically. Next coats can be thicker, you'll probably need some thi-vex mixed in there to stop it sliding off.

In my experience there's no need to mix in one container and then pour into another, but do get yourself some decent mixing containers. I use 12oz and 64oz ones, which have useful markings on them for most stuff.
Thank you Beau! Much needed help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back