another noob with an HD MKVI build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the ups and downs of el. I build custom lightsabers that are to the hasbro signature ones what this costume is to a rubies. Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm headed out to get started right now on todays work

shoulders are strapped (though I need to keep the straps in place somehow without my pressure suit) and I'm headed out to start on the codpiece belt. Had to go get more epoxy so I figured I'd update my progress.

20121028_100829.jpg

I know the ups and downs of el. I build custom lightsabers that are to the hasbro signature ones what this costume is to a rubies.
I meant no offense. I also do custom sabers (though out of PVC so they are less expensive and lighter). Just making a comment. However, that chest and bicep look amazing.

As for the strapping, have to thought about perhaps using the undersuit for the straps? I mean, sewing the straps onto the undersuit so your armor connects directly to it rather than to each other piece?

unfortunately the undersuit is purely underarmor at this point, so attaching anything to it isn't going to do much good as it won't do anything but be dragged with the straps when they slide and become very uncomfortable. Problem #2 is that my audio circuit isn't working like it should be so I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. I've never worked with strictly scratch audio stuff before so it's a new thing for me. I guess I'll just worry about the led panels now and wait until after halo 4 to get the audio right. I don't see much choice at this point. it's unfortunate that I spent the last 2 hours working on it and it isn't even going to work. Of all the things I could screw up, electronics was last on the list.

anyway, I'm gonna grab my evening cup of coffee and get back to it. no sense in worrying about this crap and wasting more time.

Thanks guys. Trucking along on this and the biggest holdup is the shin magnets and brackets. Everything but the shins and helmet have leds installed (that need leds anyway) and everything but the gloves and shins are padded and strapped/attached. I machined some led holders for the helmet (in the profile that i chose) so the leds will seat perfectly but not go any further than flush and the wires will still easily pass through. Once i touchup a spot on the bicep paint, a few spots on the boots, and a spot on one of the thighs those will he considered finished (until i remake the rear section of the boots attaching the top and back before i resin and fiberglass).

20121030_133253.jpg

This next one is sort of hard to see correctly because i'm not wearing the suit. I think i'm going to cover the led windows from behind though so that no light shines through where it shouldn't.

20121030_133308.jpg

20121030_133319.jpg

20121030_133326.jpg

20121030_133330.jpg

20121030_133335.jpg

I think i'm going to cover the led windows from behind though so that no light shines through where it shouldn't.
]

I agree that blocking the light from within needs to be done. If you're looking for an inexpensive, yet effective material for covering them, craft foam works very well. Here is what mine looks like...

DSCN1556.jpg

The foam also works great at covering up any wiring, preventing accidental snagging issues.

Your armor is looking great! Keep it up.

My wiring won't snag so i don't have to worry about that (it's one of the benefits of non-removable, rechargeable batteries) but for blocking the light that's excellent. I'm glad i bought 3 sheets of craft foam instead of just 1 now. Btw, your armor turned out rediculously sweet. I had to stop myself from staring so i finish mine by tomorrow (easily doable). That's also one of the reasons i haven't been taking pictures of what i have done so far fitted and in place. It just eats up time. I'll post some wiring pics later on. All i really have to do is finish the shin magnets (which would be done if i hadn't run out of epoxy after i finally rondoed a spot for the brackets to sit), attach the gloves, put the led windows in the shins, put the leds in the shins, wire up the helmet, and touch up some paint in the aforementioned areas. Then i'll bring the finished parts inside and add the foam details to the helmet and chest (time dependant on that one) and cover the led windows.

Also, once i figure out my speakers, i have a voice amp that i'm going to buy (once they are available) that supports a throat mike so i won't have to have any wires going from the chest to the helmet. The amp supports all kinds of voice effects and even sequenced leds.

Have you done any wiring tutorials? I think youd be rather good. If you have and im too much of a retard to notice....... can you point me to it. I'd like to see it as im nearly finished my helmet.

I'd be happy to do some tutorials. this stuff is really the simplest stuff i've ever soldered. and i don't mean that to offend anyone but to point out that this is my area of expertise (spelling?). the first thing i'd mention is not to use anything from radioshack besides maybe a switch and resistors. their wire is terrible (and too big) and their heatshrink is awful. i buy my solder from there as well now that i think about it. but my setups rely on rechargable li-ion batts and those aren't the simplest thing to work with if you haven't worked with them before. you need special chargers too. if you have anything specific you want to see let me know and i'll do it.

@hayaX, what problem are you referring to.

Hooray for no sleep! and also for no full pics wearing the armor! but seriously, it was about 4:00 am that i was ready to try on the suit and the non rondoed clips on the belt pouches came off. so outside i went and i mixed a batch of rondo and poured it in. they should be cured by now. as of this point, all leds are installed and backed (so no light shines through on the inside) and the helmet is fully detailed (foam details, 3d visor, corrugated tube, etc.). unfortunately i have class at 8:50 and i feel like i got hit by a truck. i did it though. i finished in time for HALOween.

20121031_043000.jpg

20121031_043004.jpg

20121031_043040.jpg

20121031_043051.jpg

Yeah, the helmet lights are that bright.

20121031_043058.jpg

20121031_043105.jpg

20121031_043224.jpg

20121031_043231.jpg

20121031_043240.jpg

20121031_043243.jpg

20121031_0433110.jpg

Those pieces are beautiful. I especially like the lights. Reminds me greatly of the FUD lights, how the headlamps are brighter looking at the Chief face-on than when he is looking elsewhere.

Thanks man. That effect was what i was going for with the helmet lights and the machined led holders helped a lot. Also, i forgot to mention the ugly black spot dead center on the mouth area of the helm is now gone. I don't know how it got there but i "greenwashed" it off. When i show off some pics later you'll see how much better it looks.

It's a shame i wasn't able to suit up before class but i'll be wearing it tonight and hopefully i'll have lots of pics.

That's awesome that you finished. Should look amazing walking around in it tonight! And totally post a lot of photos later

Looks good..... Can't wait to see the fully suited pics. I've decided I'm going to start mine in the new year so that will give me 8.5 months to get mine built. Will defo start a thread and post my progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back