Another Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge

Jr Member
It seems theres a few SM builds happening at the moment, and they all seem to be going extremely well, despite small setbacks, condolences to Chwbcc. First off, A huge thank you to Samuray for releasing his awesome peps to us all. Find them here. Samuray's WIP Now I have peeped most of Samuray's pieces except for his chestpiece. Only because I wanted the normal SM look. The chest I used is off a model in the Google SketchUp Warehouse made by someone called Psychotron and taught myself basic 3D to fix all the open edges and to clean it up to my own preferences. I also did the helmet & started on the backpack as well. Only after I did all this did I see Nintendudes pdo's of the same figures, which meant I could of saved a lot of time and just used his. Ohh well, now I know basic 3D of a sort. Find Nin's awesome efforts here. Nintendudes Files

Anyway, I scaled all Samuray's peps using the method of scaling against a picture, I wish I could find the post regarding it. Very similar to how Chwbcc has done his. Chwbcc's SM WIP The chest I scaled in much the same way while I had it open in 3D. Thankfully it worked out pretty spot-on. I'm not happy with the shin size so I'm thinking of making those again bigger. The Crotch is getting remade also, this time a bit smaller.

For references I'm 6'2, so far all pieces are in paper, the fibreglassing begins next week. The rest of this week is making another Crotch, another pair of Shins and deciding on a helmet.

Then the fun of mounting begins.

On with the pics, so it did happen. Unfortunately it's a phone camera so I apologise for the lack of quality. I mainly took them to give myself an overall picture of how it's coming along.

17112009003.jpg

Scaling for both chest & Shoulders worked out okay.

17112009005.jpg

Crotch will be remade, Shins too. Thighs are actually okay IMO.

Protosuit.jpg

Photoshopped image of the previous 2 as well as arms for an overall effect.

BTW if Samuray, Nintendude or Chwbcc do not want me to add the links to their work, please tell me so I can remove them.

daim!!, thats one sick space marine i think ill have to start one soon for our warhammer games :p(and to make people jealous)

anyway nice job love the work you've done and keep that good progress coming!

:D

Looks awesome!!!! Keep it up :] I just might have to make one for the game release sewell, that would be fun

i'll be watching this one for sure

EDIT: maybe this is the thread you are looking for? cleek

Judge said:

Looking great! The mobility looks like it's going to be a problem unless we can find a good solution for strapping the shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow you did a really good job pepping it keep up the good work and if you need a good set of pep boots just let me know I think I have something just your size.

Samuray said:
Looking great! The mobility looks like it's going to be a problem unless we can find a good solution for strapping the shoulders.

just put extra foam padding under the shoulders to raise them up to the correct height

Thanks for the support guys. I'm having fun building this.

Caboos318 said:
Looks awesome!!!! Keep it up :] I just might have to make one for the game release sewell, that would be funi'll be watching this one for sureEDIT: maybe this is the thread you are looking for? cleek

Ghost147 said:
great work so far! i was always a little bit skeptical about SM builds, but this one is looking pretty damn good (as well as some others)Also, i think the "Picture scaling" your talking about was in this post...http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20044&pid=318852&st=0&#entry318852

Caboose and Ghost147, yes Xtreme TACTICS 101 scaling method is the one I was trying to remember. I was hoping to find it and make a link to it because it worked awesomely.

Spartan 051 I hope people will read the links to find out the scaling thing.

Samuray, I'm thinking of running a strap across the top of the back that buckles into both top arm pieces. I'm planning on both side arms complete, and sliding on as though sliding your arms into 2 big sleeves & then joining with the top strap. The shoulder pads will actually attach, stick, clamp, whatever to the upper arm segments. That way I can be able to detach them. Hoping that might ease the mobility problem too.

17112009004-1.jpg

You can sort of see what I mean looking at this. The upper arms have to be adjusted so they dont keep my arms too far out.

Nintendue boots would be great. I've been wondering if I use a taller boot pep I could leave the Shins untouched. Also I'll have to work out how to segment them so I can walk. I'm doing a lot of refernce to GW's Artemis figurine from the game Inquisitor. It's helping for scaling also.

Artemis.jpg

The pic isn't mine, but you can see what I mean about the boots in segments. But I can always cut them so I'm not too fussy. BTW heres the link, Artemis mod check out the lightning claws?. Not a bad looking fist either...hint,hint lol

AWESOME JUDGE!!!

I have some catching up to do! :lol

I actually thin everything looks great except the shins are a bit small. The Cod piece looks to be pretty good.

The shoulders need to set off the the armor about 4 or 5 inches. but that will all happen in the padding/harnessing phase I'm sure.

The Buzz Lightyear costumes at Disney combine four pieces in to one. The mid section + cod piece + thighs + lower legs. This is what I plan to do, except I am going to leave the shins separate. The whole thing is held up with attached/adjustable suspenders. The upper arms are attached to the chest and the forearms are attached to the gloves.

I'll start to draw up some strapping ideas based on what I know from Disney Costumes. It might be a while because I have to catch up to Judge's great progress!

WTG!

chwbcc said:
AWESOME JUDGE!!!

I have some catching up to do! :lol

I actually thin everything looks great except the shins are a bit small. The Cod piece looks to be pretty good.

The shoulders need to set off the the armor about 4 or 5 inches. but that will all happen in the padding/harnessing phase I'm sure.

The Buzz Lightyear costumes at Disney combine four pieces in to one. The mid section + cod piece + thighs + lower legs. This is what I plan to do, except I am going to leave the shins separate. The whole thing is held up with attached/adjustable suspenders. The upper arms are attached to the chest and the forearms are attached to the gloves.

I'll start to draw up some strapping ideas based on what I know from Disney Costumes. It might be a while because I have to catch up to Judge's great progress!

WTG!

Good idea, but just be aware that the actual midsection is *supposed* to be flexible...I don't suppose we'll need that "flexiness" so much :)

Twinblade said:
Good idea, but just be aware that the actual midsection is *supposed* to be flexible...I don't suppose we'll need that "flexiness" so much :)

It will be, I've scanned a photo I sketched up to illustrate this better. The Mid section is actually a cloth section with rings in it.

Thanks Chwbcc, I see what your getting at. The harness is a definite, I'll be joining all arm segments into a sleeve, same with the legs. The crotch will be attached beltwise, both arm sleeves & leg sleeves will attach to the main harness frame. I'm thinking of attaching a waist piece to the belt/crotch as the "undersuit". The belt will have the tubes attached to chest. Sort of to allow the chest to pivot so to speak sepaerate from the belt which won't move.

This is the waist piece I'm talking about:

18112009.jpg

As for the chapter, I started playing at the very end of 2nd ed. rules. The coolest to me were the Legion of the Damned. We adapted them into the 3rd ed. rules & they were awesome. Unfortunately, GW released their version of them & they became pretty plain. Still are now which is sad. But the Black armour, the flames, skeletons....I'm into Hotrods, in the states you guys would call them Street Rods, & the whole flamed black look is right up my alley.

lod2.jpg
180px-Legion_of_the_Damned2.jpg

I'm not too worried about painting the flames myself, it's all the bones & skulls that I'll have to mold I'm worried about.

As for a weapon, I'm leaning toward a Heavy Bolter. I figure it's going to be a huge suit, might as well have a huge gun. I have a file of one, I think it may be Nintendudes, not sure. But that's a ways off yet.

Judge - very nice start with the pep.

But I just wanted to jump in and say that those shins are a bit too small to my taste. They definitely need to be wider, but I don't know about the height. I would make them just a bit taller. I think you'll have a hard time acheiving that by just scalling the pep piece... since they don'T need to be as much taller as they need to be wider (hope you get my meaning :) )

I really don't want to hijack your thread or anything... but here is a picture of a Chaplain in Terminator armor I finished last summer (ok, the top part is not the same as the Space Marine armor, but the legs are... it might give you a better idea of the scale you want to acheive)

Terminator-Consplayers-003.jpg

If you're looking for more pictures... have a look at my website - you'll find a big gallery of progress shot that might show the costume (and its scale) a bit better.

My website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back