Anyone interested in MMA too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexona

Hey guys. I was curious if anyone else was real big into Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)?
I've watched the UFC and WEC for years. Is anyone else a fan, wanting to get into it, or already been training??

I decided last week that I wanted to get in the action so I signed up for classes from the MMA team in our city :). The teacher has a 3-0 professional record, was trained by Marco Ruas and Helio 'Soneco' Moriera (if you are familiar with em), and is incredibly conditioned. He was pouring his coffee right as I got there..."Ya'll are in for trouble today.", he said.

There were only 3 women, including me in the female's fighting session, so we got incredibly focused training from him. I knew it was going to be very intense...but wow. I have been working out every weekday since February doing core, cardio, and weight training so I thought I had a good base but *this* was still a whole 'nother level of conditioning.

The class was 90 minutes long and we were moving at high intensity the WHOLE time. We started with the clinch in the cage and ended up on the mats pounding the grappling bags. I think we took 3 or 4 breaks for all of about a minute each. Just as we *almost* caught our wind it would be down to ground and pound, then straight into sprawl drills, back up for wind sprints, and then stand and deliver pad work. I thought I was gonna die or toss cookies, mebbe both haha (luckily neither happened). My knuckles are so screwed up today...my work is prolly like wtf lol. But this was *hands down* the most physically demanding thing I have ever done lol....so I'm signed up for a full year haha :)
I told my teacher, "Wow you kicked my butt...see you again Thursday."

I found out that our gym has a myspace page of the team and it has some videos of the fighters. I thought if some of you were fans you might enjoy watching.

Also, if anyone has 1st hand experience or seen bouts, I'd love to hear some stories too :D

Im a big fan of the UFC and I was thinking of doing some kickboxing training if I ever went back to my hometown in Thailand (home of brutal kickboxing chics lol). I love the sport. Down here on this God-forsaken rock of an island they dont offer any sort of MMA training to the public ( I am no longer considerd Military since my dad retired from the CIA last year :cautious: ) and I cant use the Military bases training houses.

Eventually, I will be giving it a shot. Im sure I'll get my butt kicked hahaha.

Ever since I saw the movie "Ong-bak", I've been interested in Muay Thai. The actor, Tony Jaa, is like a modern version of Bruce Lee.

I'd love to learn Muay Thai or some other Martial Arts someday, but I doubt I'll ever get the chance.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Im a big fan of the UFC and I was thinking of doing some kickboxing training if I ever went back to my hometown in Thailand (home of brutal kickboxing chics lol). I love the sport. Down here on this God-forsaken rock of an island they dont offer any sort of MMA training to the public ( I am no longer considerd Military since my dad retired from the CIA last year :cautious: ) and I cant use the Military bases training houses.

Eventually, I will be giving it a shot. Im sure I'll get my butt kicked hahaha.

That stinks living far away from it now =\ Teams and gyms seem pretty spread out in the US which can be a real bummer, especially if you're from Thailand where the Muay Thai spirit is truly alive.

And yeah those Phuket women are no joke!

05_fnoriko_t.jpg

IMG_8005.JPG

They scare the heck out of my fiance'. (I think they rock hehe.)

---

And I love watching Tony Jaa. We own both his flicks. He's an *amazing* acrobat and incredibly physical. He makes my jaw drop every time. His conditioning and stunts are indeed very reminiscent of the greats! He's like the new generation I think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and the Mrs. have done a fair share of Tang Soo Do, Kickboxing. etc. My father teaches.. I sorta grew up around it, but didn't really take it seriously until I was in my late 20's. Used to do the 'fight club' thing for a while too. \

Now I'm too old and creaky for that. :D

EDIT: I used to watch alot of UFC way back when the Gracie's were reigning champs, before it got televised and such.. Hoyce Gracie was one tough dude.

Sean Bradley said:
Me and the Mrs. have done a fair share of Tang Soo Do, Kickboxing. etc. My father teaches.. I sorta grew up around it, but didn't really take it seriously until I was in my late 20's. Used to do the 'fight club' thing for a while too. \

EDIT: I used to watch alot of UFC way back when the Gracie's were reigning champs, before it got televised and such.. Hoyce Gracie was one tough dude.

Oh Tang So Do, that's a Korean form of Martial Arts right?

And Fight Club too, eh? You're such the renaissance man :D

I also enjoyed watching the Gracie family, especially Hoyce. I felt bad for him in his most recently aired bout because the UFC had changed so much when he decided to make his final appearance. He will always be a fighter worthy of admiration though! And his family has quite the legacy :D.

Sean Bradley said:

Hoyce Gracie was amazing, last time I was watching he was champ.. if that tells you anything lol. I have a few years of Kung-Fu training, mainly in the Bo, Nunchaku and I have some stunt fight coordinator training. Not too much into anymore though. Got lazy, figure if I need protection I'll get a gun. If I need exercise I'll just work out.

Cheers,
Kensai

Vexona said:
Oh Tang So Do, that's a Korean form of Martial Arts right?
Correct, it's Korean Karate. Dad's been training and teaching for almost 50 years. I seem to go a few years on/ a few years off due to other obligations.. I'm itching to go back right now, but my wife wants to do more gym training before we start up again. We're full of excuses. :p

Heres his school if you're interested.. has a bit more about his career there: http://www.bradleykarate.com/index.html

The fight club was kinda a fad thing here.. we shut it down when people started going to the hospital.. it's a good thing to get that rage out, but theres better things to do than beat on people. I still have my first couple fights on video.. fun stuff.

EDIT: Just had a look at some of the fight videos on your schools myspace page.. thats some pretty hardcore stuff there. The Bohannon vs Bell fight was a real shocker.. I wasn't anticipating that ending, he must have had a really good leg lock! Congrats Vex, looks like you've got a really good school there!

That is sOOOOOOO bad ass Vex!! I've always wanted to do Muay Thai, but after I saw how much it destroys your body and hands I said no way! If I screw up my hands I screw up my life XD

I'm happy for ya! Make them boys cry! :D

kensai111 said:
Got lazy, figure if I need protection I'll get a gun. If I need exercise I'll just work out.
Cheers,
Kensai

Hehe that works too. I know my innocent, lil old aunt is packing heat in her floral purse XD

Correct, it's Korean Karate. Dad's been training and teaching for almost 50 years. I seem to go a few years on/ a few years off due to other obligations.. I'm itching to go back right now, but my wife wants to do more gym training before we start up again. We're full of excuses.

Wow! Your dad is awesome. 8th Degree Black Belt...now that is really cool!

Like you, I'm trying to get my other half to start classes but he wants to go to the gym beforehand so he feels prepared too. I guess I should be happy that he'll go to the gym with me :) That's good in itself.

The fight club was kinda a fad thing here.. we shut it down when people started going to the hospital.. it's a good thing to get that rage out, but theres better things to do than beat on people. I still have my first couple fights on video.. fun stuff.
Yeah I guess beating up people in Xbox Live will have to suffice eh? Although, I suddenly want to see those videos... :D

That is sOOOOOOO bad ass Vex!! I've always wanted to do Muay Thai, but after I saw how much it destroys your body and hands I said no way! If I screw up my hands I screw up my life XD

I'm happy for ya! Make them boys cry! biggrin.gif

SKG, lol! You're too good!

Yeah, about the hands, they're really roughed up from the other day. I've got them wrapped up and I bought extra gloves and tape to help. I'm not a good drawer like you, and I was never worth a damn on the piano, so these hands haven't got much to lose haha!

I will try to make them boys cry. So far the only one that is crying is my fiance' cause he's convinced I'll have a bad dream one night and beat the hell out of him LOL.

I've studied MCMAP (marine corp martial arts) and tai kwan do, but as soon as i get a job i want to study brazilian jujitsu, and muy thai

MMA. :) I'm into MMA.. Do it as much as i can, But i'm getting so the budy duz not heal as fast as it did..lol I don't watch it much on TV, Some times I may go to see a fight, when i can find the time...

Im a first degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, and our karate school is delving into lots of different types of MMA. My friend who takes Muy Thai and Kickboxing says that unless you want to destroy your hands, learn hand wraps and learn them well.

Sean, your dad is really an 8th degree? Wow, thats incredible :eek:

I like the MMA and UFC, it is more...."Intense" then boxing. Not to mention a little more fun to watch! The only type of combat I have learned is how to take the slide off of a handgun. So that in an emergency if someone is planning to shoot me, there is a small possibility that I can rush them and take the slide off. That and a few moves of dismantling weapons from people, but nothing else.

I always wanted to learn Kali and CQC as used in the military but I'm too damn lazy and out of shape. Besides I plan to have a desk job and stay out of dangerous affairs so whats the point? :p

Thats awesome guys/ girls! happy to see I share more in common with everyone other than loving armor and weapons lol. I have been studying martial arts for some years now. Both of my brothers were trained and trained me in kenpo, shaolin kung fu, and eskrima (spelled wrong). then I branched off and studied taekwondo, muay thai, wushu, capoeria, judo, hapkido, jeet kun do, western boxing, grappling, and soon to be MCMAP. it sounds like alot but most was studying through sparring with other martial artist from those styles or reading and researching on my own. I am always astounded and throughly impressed when women step up to the plate ( My wife is constantly keeping me on my toes she studined taekwondo and has been my sparring partner for 5-6 yrs) well this post was longer than I intended but yes I highly recommend any martial art (even tai chi for us physically damaged or aged folks lol)
much love
mose-

@ Dreadnought of Fury- Hehe yeah, I'm a pencil/mouse pusher too. But hey, should anything ever happen, it will be funny to come out of left field with mad skills!

@ Mose- Hella cool!

O'course when fighting with loved ones at our house, it's always NHB...wet willies and purple nurples are legal & lethal haha. XD

I'm been doing martial arts for....*counts fingers*...7! years now. It's not one specific form of martial arts, it's not just learning the movements, it's knowing the practical use for them. Instead of lining 5 people up and have them punch in synchronous he would put them at different places in the room...and start attacking them. (lol) Learn by doing, i guess.

A few years ago, he flew to China and went through some kind of...thing....and became a "Grandmaster", I think it's one word, anyway, he has all kinds of certificates and stuff, I've only seen them once, though, when he first got them.. He's an 8th degree black belt, and has 22....23?, I'm not sure which, degrees in other kinds of Martial Arts.

His uncle learned a kind of Martial Arts from some underground Chinese group, he was there for like 20 (I think) years... he was the first foreigner to learn this kind of martial arts.... he thought they were going to kill him, so he, secretly, made one that could beat it... I'll stop here, unless someone wants to hear more. lol

He taught some high-ranking military groups some of what he had learned, but he taught his nephew, my instructor, most of what he had learned, so he could teach it to 'some' others. I say some, because there are only 3 of us that he teaches this to, there are 5 altogether that he teaches. He doesn't teach people publicly, it's a closed school, no new members, except for rare exceptions.

I'm tired of typing now, so if you want to know more, just let me know. It's nice to know that other people are interested in this kind of stuff, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back