anything else instead of cardstock

Status
Not open for further replies.

halomaster16

k i heard the pep version if u do it outta paper its to droppey and cardboard is alitlle hard doing and ive been hearing about cardstock so now i knw wat it is im just wondering instead of that can i use VANILLA FOLDERS there leik the same thing so i think itll work correct me if im wrong

halomaster16 said:
k i heard the pep version if u do it outta paper its to droppey and cardboard is alitlle hard doing and ive been hearing about cardstock so now i knw wat it is im just wondering instead of that can i use VANILLA FOLDERS there leik the same thing so i think itll work correct me if im wrong

Uou would probably have a heck of a time printing on manila folders.. trying to cut to fit them on your printer or tape a printed piece of paper is not worth the effort.. once you get into it, you will be doing alot of cutting and tracing to fold your paper.. go to your local office supply, staples, office depot.. I heard there are some at walmart too..

Last edited by a moderator:
A Manila Folder got its name from the Capital of the Phillipines where these folders were originally made, however, most current mila folders are plain card stock with a beige color. You will increase the stiffness of the mila folder by applying a sheet of paper glued to it, thereby increasing the difficulty to get a straight even fold. If you wonder why I know this, I tried... it really is easier to use a heavy weight card stock. But if you did succeed with an actual "Manila Folder", you would probably have the only set of armor made from Hemp...

ok... lol.. sorry

Manila Folder = Card Stock (in most cases)

If card Stock works, I would just assume a Manila folder would work, but wouldn't it just be easier to print directly onto a piece of card stock.

Drooping can be caused by applying too much resin, there by saturating the cardstock and weighing it down, causing the "droop".

I increased the number of layers of resin while making each layer thinner, lightly sanding between coats so that the new layer properly bonds to the previous. Try applying several very thin layers, rather than one thick layer.... I got this experience from sheeting wings of Airplanes that I build with what is essentially tissue paper and a doping compound. Tissue paper is very thin and flimsy, but if you apply each layer thin enough, you can get the desired stiffness by applying more, thin layers... Ok if this is confusing...

Think of it like glue two sheets of paper together... when you put a large drop of glue on the paper it saturates and wrinkles... where if you use smaller ammounts (but enough to adhere the surfaces together) you avoid wrinkles. Same principle.

Once a few layers of resin have been applied, it will seal the card stock, and you can begin to increase the thickness of each layer.

oooo alright well i knw cardstock will be easier to print but im 13 and cant go to the store and parents r busy so yea ill probally do the mailla folders lol

I would strongly advise to use cardstock. I'm 13 as well and I'm starting a mjolnir suit and I am convinced cardstock is the easiest thing to use. Even cardstock can be really tedious and annoying to use-if you have to glue each piece of paper to part of a folder then cut, trace the lines, then start folding and gluing, it will take forever. If you can't go to the store and all you have is folders then go right ahead, but if you can get some cardstock, do it. I think some of the best persuading I've ever done was getting my parents to go along with the build of my suit. Sorry for the rant. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back