Aqua Resin Good Bad Indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsilver668

Jr Member
Ok Got to see the cool indymogul film from DIYFX on You tube.
Go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WK26NHx0o

And it was featuring our very own Skullcandy girl! woot woot.....

Anyway, my question is this. I know she had some issues with aqua resin it not sealing properly, but...

Could you use it as an initial coat ie the brush on stage then do reguler resin for the glass cloth? Or maybe you would need to add a bit more AR to cover up all the little bits and peices? I got the infor from the latest e-zine. I think she used matt but would the cloth work better in this instance?

I think aqua resin can play a significant role in armour making, and is a less caustic alternative, but just triyng to not make the same mistakes as others or at least read up and learn.

Any input is apreciated.

P.S.
Has anyone done armour for kids? I have a 5 year old who would go gah gah over this project but was more interested int he scaling and sizing to get some ware out of the uniform. i.e. make it a little bigger so the little guy doesn't grow out of it before it is finished lol. I would probably also do a low def costume for him so I can get it done faster.

i personally used aqua resin for my entire armor id say use AR for all the stages it works pretty good, and youll save money not having to buy bondo and resin because you can mix AR so it works like a bondo. i used mat instead of cloth because thats all the store carried people have said that mat is stronger than cloth because how the fibers are woven. just remember that even though its a non-toxic resin you should always were a respirator for the dust and fibers(both sanding and mixing) and gloves for the fibers because it sucks to have to pick fiberglass out of your fingers for days afterward (i speak from experience) i hope this answered your question if you have anymore about AR im sure i could help you.

Thanks rachiav.
I have worked with fiberglass in the past, as well as bondo, paper models etc. The random mat can be stronger. Cloth is woven at right angles and if you only use a single layer it has some weekness.
For the AR do you mix in talc to make the bondo?

roguewarrior2001 said:
Thanks rachiav.
I have worked with fiberglass in the past, as well as bondo, paper models etc. The random mat can be stronger. Cloth is woven at right angles and if you only use a single layer it has some weekness.
For the AR do you mix in talc to make the bondo?

no it comes in the two parts, so all you have to do is mix a higher ratio of powder to liquid parts. about 6:5 is resin viscosity (for fiberglassing) 1:10 ish would be for bondo. it all depends on your personal preference though. just remember that heat (sunlight/heaters) and more powder makes it cure faster. and you can add more liquid/powder to what you mixed within a minute after its mixed if you want to change the thickness. ive done it a few times but dont add much or it wont blend together well. another good thing about AR is that if you wait until its just about to cure (once it reaches this point it finishes curing very rapidly) you can manipulate it (like scratching details, making edges sharp) also be sure to wait about an hour after it is cure to the touch to sand it, because it is often not fully cured and if sanded it will get stuck in the sand paper like crazy and take off more than you want to. oh and if you run out of fiberglass at the end of your project (like i did) you can always use muslin cloth or a similar thin cloth as substitute. i used an old sheet and aside from making the colors in the sheet bleed all over the inside of my armor it worked fine. hope my rambling can help you, i know i needed alot of help when i first used AR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again.
I am thinking I might use the AR with regular fiberglass cloath and bondo. I can get the cloath and bondo for fairly cheep at pepboys or Kragen. I think it is like 40 bucks for the AR 2 lbs, but ten again I am not sure how much you need for full suit.

As for the 5 year old, you could always make a cardbard set from scratch, it is easy and fast to make and is quite durable once you strengthen it a little more. Considering he is 5, a cheap set of durable cardboard armor would be a good armor for him.

Spartan 035 said:
As for the 5 year old, you could always make a cardbard set from scratch, it is easy and fast to make and is quite durable once you strengthen it a little more. Considering he is 5, a cheap set of durable cardboard armor would be a good armor for him.
I was actualy thinking using poster board. Not exactly cardboard but it will be a good first attempt. Now how yo resize in Pepakura 3 lol

Last edited by a moderator:
One bad thing, your child might not like it and just destroy, all that money going down the drain :(
But if I was your child I'd play freaking war all day by myself.
Rofl my eggo.

One bad thing, your child might not like it and just destroy it, all that money going down the drain :(
But if I was your child I'd play freaking war all day by myself.
Rofl my eggo.

If the 3 years working at a daycare has taught me anything, it is that little kids destroy expensive toys. If there was a way to make it out of slightly harder stuff than usual then it might have a chance, but that might run you a bit more than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back