Aqua Resin, Non-toxic Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough of this stuff for an entire suit though will cost a fortune since it is non toxic. The toxic stuff is cheaper and already cost a fortune for enough to make an entire suit.

But if you have a job and have even flow of income, money shouldnt be a concern ;)

AoBfrost said:
Enough of this stuff for an entire suit though will cost a fortune since it is non toxic. The toxic stuff is cheaper and already cost a fortune for enough to make an entire suit.

But if you have a job and have even flow of income, money shouldnt be a concern ;)
It may take more powder to make most of the stuff, but when Ihave th chance and time I'm going to ban a 4lb can of powder and 2 lbs of the liquid and O'll see how much I cna do with that.

It doesn't cost a fortune to me, though I do have a job and steady income, so I guess that's why I haven't had problems so far XD

I did some sanding tonight for the Bondo-like tests, aside form some powder, it sanded pretty good...

Last edited by a moderator:
So here are some photos of the beginning of the smoothing process with a basic sanding. I have an assload of sanding, filling, dremeling and re-shaping to do still, so you can stop your fingers from typing "OMG U NEED TO SAND, SO UGH-LY!".

My mix ratio for this was 1 part liquid, 5 parts powder. A little bit ( i think) went a long way. I could tell awhile ago that the powder would go the quickest, I just needed a test to confirm that. The consistency of this stuff really was like pancake batter, it was very easy to mix. I wonder if I used more powder if it would have been like icing? Maybe I'll try that once I buy some more A.R.

I was able to use a plastic picnic cup like before. It wasn't runny or clumpy, it went on and stayed on and was easy to control, I didn't have stuff dripping everywhere. I was able to use a spatula to apply it, though I didn't go out and buy different sizes like I should have. With the added powder this stuff set in about 45 minutes, and although it was 100% cured, I was able to easily sand it. I only used a sand paper that had a stripping grit to it. I didn't use any finer sand paper or other sanding/reshaping tools.

Just like anything else you sand, the dust from this gets everywhere, so do it where it's ok for the dust to get everywhere. I wore a mask as I sanded as well and I think I'm going to wait for some warmer days before I dig into this this so I can sand outside.

ar_thick10.jpg

ar_thick06.jpg

ar_thick07.jpg

ar_thick08.jpg

ar_thick09.jpg

ar_thick11.jpg

ar_thick12.jpg

ar_thick13.jpg

ar_thick14.jpg

It sure is coming out good, it looks from how its starting to smooth out, that not much bondo will be needed.

@Sigma: haha yeah this stuff sure feels like high-stregnth plaster, hahha I'll have super buff arms by the time this is all smooth out XD.

@Quad: YEah It didn't take a lot to add this, I just have to get used to sanding and shaping stuff of this nature, which I have no experience doing.

raven2751 said:
SC this is looking great.

when you say it's cured do you mean in 45 mins then it's sandable or is it totaly 100% cured

It was cured by then, the more powder, the shorter the cure time :)

its pretty! i cant wait to get some AR myself. lots of sanding could have its advantages like fitting more chief like into bicep armor ; )

@ rachiav: Yeah the sanding hardcore hahaha, my hands got tired quick. I'm going to put this helmet to the side to start the other pieces of armor and wait til I can sand outside. Same precuation with any kind of sanding, ruining lungs and electronics XP

SO I stopped into The Compleat Sculptor, I was able to get the 2lbs bottle of the S liquid, but the 4lbs of Powder is gone. They only had the 26lbs tub... which I can't carry all they way to the train XD. I picked up another starter kit, can never have too much Fiberglass and small bottles of the stuff handy. I also bought 2 rasps some smaller spatulas, a new brush, some Primer and sealer. They said they'd have more in stock in a week, I hope I can score some of the powder. I still recommend getting a starter kit to get used to the material :)

Xavier said:
how hard is this stuff to sand?

Well, I haven't sanded Bondo, since that may be the closest material, so I'm not sure how to compare it. And I have little girly arms, so I can't sit there and mash on it for a long time haha I get tired. I guess it's like sanding wood?? Maybe??

Skullcandy Girl said:
Well, I haven't sanded Bondo, since that may be the closest material, so I'm not sure how to compare it. And I have little girly arms, so I can't sit there and mash on it for a long time haha I get tired. I guess it's like sanding wood?? Maybe??

Thats tough then... the first pep helmet i ever made got warped with resin, so i had to sit there and sand resin for like 3 hours, i didnt know that sanding could feel like a full upperbody work out :/. so anyways, 3 hours in, and i snapped, just put my foot right through it.

Xavier said:
Thats tough then... the first pep helmet i ever made got warped with resin, so i had to sit there and sand resin for like 3 hours, i didnt know that sanding could feel like a full upperbody work out :/. so anyways, 3 hours in, and i snapped, just put my foot right through it.

@ :lol: This stuff has it's own Fiberglass, so that in tandem with the rough shell that's on it, I guess it's pretty strong? I won't be drop-kicking it to test it though hahah if it shatter I will throw up XD

@X:I don't blame you X, I would have done the same thing. You should give it another try :) Hah like I said, for me, my arms aren't so strong hahaha, maybe it's more cardio XD I have more lower body stregnth... but I can't sand with my feet.

patalac122 said:
This thread has proven to be quite educational, haha.

Happy to help pata, hahaha your response reminded me of the anime Golden Boy hhahahah, if you've seen it, the main character always goes "This is so educational". Great series :D

@ rachiav: hahahaha wll If I can I'll join a circus or something :p

Well, I just got back from NY about an hour ago. I got my trial kit of Aqua-Resin while I was there.

I must say NY was a culture shock. There was a lot of BS I really didn't like about it, but for the most part it was fun.

Also, so much walking. I think I'll sit for about a week. My back is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back