Armor painting question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drn 000 Blues

Well I didnt build an armor yet but I have got a quetion.
I read the Mustard/toothpaste trick but i dont want to rub the mustard of,so i am asking couldnt I just take a dry sponge and "scratch" the metal paint on the armor?
I would appreciate any help.
And thanks in advance.

If you do a nickel coat and then paint whatever color you chose over it, it well scratch off and show the under coat (ie. sliding around in the trunk of your car and bumping into things.) However, I paint a nickel coat then brush on some toothpaste where ever I want scratches, and then paint the whole thing to colors I decided to use. Then I just wipe off the toothpaste and the nickel shows throught. Giving the effect of battle damage.

And the way Deputy Dog just explained it makes it look so much better than taking a brush or sponge and doing it. Sure it might be awkward to put some toothpaste on something you just spent so much time working on, but it won't get hurt. It just makes it look ALOT better!

The tooth paste method, I've done the scratches with paint on my helm but would like to try this.

watch this. This is the way I did mine and the way adam does his.
This is the method I use right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys , I appreciate yor help.
But one more question what about the edges?
How can i make them look "battle worn" ?

Well if you spend the time to put the paste on the edges that would work or you could scare you helmet during thebondo stage to make it look like it dented but not scratched.

The tooth paste method, I've done the scratches with paint on my helm but would like to try this.

Its eary you paint the base silver, put some paste / mustard on the places where you want your scratches adn then you paint your armor color .
Let it dry and then rub the paste of (it should take some time) .
Atleast thats how I understood the method

this will give you and idea of what it looks like

100_1124.jpg

100_0783.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_0783.jpg

So let me see if I have this down
1. paint the item with a base coat of silver
2. using an old tooth brush ,brush tooth paste from the edges you want to have scratched
3. paint the peace the primary colour
4. whip off the tooth paste.

So let me see if I have this down
1. paint the item with a base coat of silver
2. using an old tooth brush ,brush tooth paste from the edges you want to have scratched
3. paint the peace the primary colour
4. whip off the tooth paste.
Yeah thats the whole trick to make kinda the paint battle worn

Cool I'm going to give this a try on a flubed peace and see if I can get it to look right.

What i do is use pray paint on a brush. the wipe the brush around the high points on the armor for edges. For chipping paint i like Vaseline, works wonder and it not nearly as odd to work with.

here a pic of moth methods i use. spray paint dry brushed the edges and Vaseline on the white stripe.

114_0196.jpg

114_0196.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back