Armor Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipninja

Member DIN
S770
So I'm planning to fly home in October and I'm planning on bringing armor if I can Finnish it in time. Do you guys have any tips on how to transport it either on a plane, or by other means? I might mail it, which would work getting it out there, but I want to take it on the plane back so I can have it for a Halloween party when I get back out here. Anyone have any sugestions?

I don't know how comfortable that would be lol. Anyone done it before?

I'm no expert at travelling with armour on, but LongShot X is a champion at it.
40385406_2105307579479671_2360756146072977408_n.jpg

First, I know the "Off Topic/Derail Team" is joking, but in all seriousness, NO. Do not attempt to board or enter an airport while wearing your armor. Airports are sensitive places these days, and have no time or patience for jokes or hijinks. You have no idea how other passengers or travelers or TSA or local law enforcement will respond. You could induce a panic by wearing a bulky, military themed outfit into one of the most sensitive places around these days.

When I fly with my armor I pack it into a rubbermaid tub that fits with in the “Checked baggage” limits without going into the “over-sized category.”

For most airlines this is a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. I drilled holes around the top of the tub and the sides to feed zip ties through to secure the armor. Zip ties are good becuase if TSA has to open the tub they just cut the zip tie and then replace it with their own zip ties. (The best thing to secure you luggage with in general is Zip Ties or TSA approved locks.)

The plastic tub is good becuase it provides a fair amount of rigidity and protection to your armor, but is also much lighter than most conventional hard shell suitcases. This is important becuase in addition to the size limits for over sized luggage, there is also usually a weight limit, somewhere around 50 pounds.

My armor is vacuum formed plastic, which means it is lightweight and therefore easily is under the 50 pound weight limit even when coupled with the tub and any extras I pack in with it. Also, becuase it is vacuum form plastic the pieces nest inside of each very easily, and compact down into the tub easily.

I also always place a document on top of the tub, so that if TSA opens it, it is right where they can see it right away. It lists my name, pone number, and what the costume is made out of, and shows pictures of the costume Front, Back, and Side.) Whenever I hand over the tub, either at the counter or to the TSA agents, I always also make sure to tell them their are replica costumes and non functioning prop weapons

First, I know the "Off Topic/Derail Team" is joking, but in all seriousness, NO. Do not attempt to board or enter an airport while wearing your armor. Airports are sensitive places these days, and have no time or patience for jokes or hijinks. You have no idea how other passengers or travelers or TSA or local law enforcement will respond. You could induce a panic by wearing a bulky, military themed outfit into one of the most sensitive places around these days.

When I fly with my armor I pack it into a rubbermaid tub that fits with in the “Checked baggage” limits without going into the “over-sized category.”

For most airlines this is a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. I drilled holes around the top of the tub and the sides to feed zip ties through to secure the armor. Zip ties are good becuase if TSA has to open the tub they just cut the zip tie and then replace it with their own zip ties. (The best thing to secure you luggage with in general is Zip Ties or TSA approved locks.)

The plastic tub is good becuase it provides a fair amount of rigidity and protection to your armor, but is also much lighter than most conventional hard shell suitcases. This is important becuase in addition to the size limits for over sized luggage, there is also usually a weight limit, somewhere around 50 pounds.

My armor is vacuum formed plastic, which means it is lightweight and therefore easily is under the 50 pound weight limit even when coupled with the tub and any extras I pack in with it. Also, becuase it is vacuum form plastic the pieces nest inside of each very easily, and compact down into the tub easily.

I also always place a document on top of the tub, so that if TSA opens it, it is right where they can see it right away. It lists my name, pone number, and what the costume is made out of, and shows pictures of the costume Front, Back, and Side.) Whenever I hand over the tub, either at the counter or to the TSA agents, I always also make sure to tell them their are replica costumes and non functioning prop weapons

Oh yeah, you guys live in a borderline police state when it comes to going through airports. I always forget about that.

Driving and ferries are my go to, a 200L tub of armour and the comfort of my own vehicle.

See that's where I was at. Joking aside I wasn't about to go through that airport fiasco, this is super helpful thanks!

I have the hard shell suitcases when I fly. Cadet is correct though, it does add extra weight. But I've got the ones that don't have any lining on the inside so that cuts down on the weight. Mine also don't have zippers - they just have three clamps. This means there isn't any flex/extra squishy parts that could cause the case to collapse a little more inwards. Plus it keeps all the rain out should it end up sitting on a wet tarmac.

If you're taking your helmet as carry on, I'd highly recommend not having electronics in it. I've heard horror stories of security pulling out the wiring from helmets and making a giant mess. Note, that's only if you have it as carry on, not if it's in your checked bag.

As for what to wrap it in, this one is a tough one. I had a friend recently who flew from Canada to the US for DragonCon and had her armor (not halo) all wrapped up in bubble wrap in her suitcase - CATSA - Canada's version of TSA - opened her bag and removed all of the bubble wrap to check things out and then didn't wrap it up either at all or properly so it arrived in Atlanta with a lot of damage. Keep that in mind if you have parts that are more fragile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back