Asking for help to use Pepakura files on EVA foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoxcario

My apologies if this isn't the right section to ask: How do I translate the Pepakura files on to EVA foam? I noticed each piece has a trapezoidal fold flap. Do I cut that part off when I trace the template on the EVA foam?
(see image below)

2019-04-19_LI.jpg

Lots of tips and tutorials out there Foxcario . I know it's exciting and you want to dive in, but a few hours of research will save you countless hours of frustration. The file you're using has not been converted to foam. I suggest finding a foam file or watching this video.

Check this out my guy, Spacemeat's Guide to Foam Armor - YouTube there's quite a bit of information here from SpacemeatTheCosplay, I was asking not even a week ago the same thing you're asking and someone pointed me in this direction.

I had started with AndrewDFT's Reach ODST templates and stopped after finishing the helmet and roughly half way through the chest plate, not liking where it was going knowing how it would look finished. I now am looking to do the same thing as you, foam ODST pepping method.

Good luck and I'll try to follow along and I'm sure we can help each other out!

Thanks,
Caleb I.

Something I like to do when transferring pepakura to foam is to actually tape the pepakura model together with painters tape, that way I know for certain it fits properly and I don't waste foam. BUT that does require keeping the flaps. It takes a lot more time but saves money in the long run.
IMG_1435.JPG

What Armor Set are you working on? A lot of the various armor sets have had Foam Optimized conversions made of their Pep files already, and if we knew what armor you were working on we might be able to point you in the direction of some of that already exist.

What Armor Set are you working on? A lot of the various armor sets have had Foam Optimized conversions made of their Pep files already, and if we knew what armor you were working on we might be able to point you in the direction of some of that already exist.

I plan on working the Halo 3 ODST armor. And maybe the Recon helmet.

The Halo 3:ODST Amory Entry contains Foam Optimized files for the Base ODST armor and many of the acessories and attachments:

The Amrory works by having all related files in one .ZIP file. You will download the comprehensive ZIP file, extract the files and look for the ones with "Foam" in the name.

I will say that I personally do not like to use Foam for Helmets. When it comes to Helmets, due to the usually more complex nature of the item, I like to go standard pep and fiberglass, and then do foam for the armor. There are very talented foam Smith's who can do helmets out of foam very well, but for beginners and more casual builders, I still recommend paper pep for Helmets over foam.

I will say that I personally do not like to use Foam for Helmets. When it comes to Helmets, due to the usually more complex nature of the item, I like to go standard pep and fiberglass, and then do foam for the armor. There are very talented foam Smith's who can do helmets out of foam very well, but for beginners and more casual builders, I still recommend paper pep for Helmets over foam.
Thats what i'm doing! And don't worry fox, building the helmet isn't so bad out of paper. Time consuming yes, but if you just follow the lines and tabs it will work out well. But its your project, in the end it's what you want it to be.

Translating Pepakura to EVA Foam should be easy. Alright, cool. But does anyone know of anyone that does tutorials for assembling the EVA foam pieces all together? The only person I know that has done it is Andrew DFT. But he has only done ODST (Halo Reach variant), and his Halo Marine. I tried to search tutorials for other Halo armor types that uses EVA foam, but there were none to be found. That or maybe I didn't search hard enough.

a week ago i know the person that has done with Anthem helmet is was KamuiCosplay, they making it from raw 3d model. the progress after making papekura template just like you but then they cut it again to make it new template
you can see them on youtube

a week ago i know the person that has done with Anthem helmet is was KamuiCosplay, they making it from raw 3d model. the progress after making papekura template just like you but then they cut it again to make it new template
you can see them on youtube

That's cool and all, but I'm just looking for assembling tutorials for Halo armor.

You might be hard pressed to find someone with a tutorial describing specifically the Halo Armor set you are looking for.

What a lot of our members do is simply research, read, and watch tutorials on building foam armor in General, and then apply that knowledge to the Armor Set they are going to be working on.

There are many individuals on YouTube, like "EvilTed" or "PunishedProps"that have great tutorials on building armor out of EVA Foam. They might be specifically about Halo armor, or if they are the Halo armor set you are specifically trying to build, but the base skills can be applied to all types of armor, really.

Translating Pepakura to EVA Foam should be easy. Alright, cool. But does anyone know of anyone that does tutorials for assembling the EVA foam pieces all together? The only person I know that has done it is Andrew DFT. But he has only done ODST (Halo Reach variant), and his Halo Marine. I tried to search tutorials for other Halo armor types that uses EVA foam, but there were none to be found. That or maybe I didn't search hard enough.

I think SpaceMeatTheCosplays' videos are what you're looking for my friend, their lengthy starting out but they're informative, yet informal. I started the Halo armor build series and learned a lot in just two videos, I'd link it but I'm at work. Good luck! Give em' a looksie.

That's cool and all, but I'm just looking for assembling tutorials for Halo armor.

just like sir Cadet said, try some research, read and watch for your build

i remember my first time building an ODST armor, for helmet, tight and feet i'm using pepakura file with some research how to stick it together for each part from my cosplayer friend, then following pepakura file direction to make it done

Not halo, but this should give you an idea on how to get rid of tabs and line up the pieces :D

in fact i'm using this video tutorial too

come try it, do yor best my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back