Awesome Weathering Techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.
cys920622 said:
i also used adam's method.
might've weathered it a lil too much though. but when i just had the oregano green i thought wow that doesnt look as good as i thought it would be
but as soon as i started dabbing silver onto it i was like wow... this is way better than i thought it would be.

n762560127_1595153_5278.jpg

lol wow dude you weathered the crap out of that thing :p

looks really nice though

Rocknrollcows said:
where could i get oregano green?

is it like a color of spraypaint?

they used to sell it at Lowes...but i went back there like a week ago and they didnt have it anymore. =(
but it's Rustoleum American Accents Oregano Spraypaint, if you wanna look it up online or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever used Latex?? as in mold making latex.

Paint certain areas a Silver color like the knees, shoulders, front of the boots or anywhere where there will be alot of where and tear. Im a customizer(action figs that is) and many times we will lay down in Dirt in combat positions to give us an idea where dirt and scratches will accumulate.

After the silver is down. Dab some latex in small amounts. Let it dry.
Next use some white and spray some over the areas of the latex.
Next after the white paint has dried add some more latex around the original clumps.
Let dry and Then spray over with some black and grays. experiment.
Finally after these steps have been repeated several times. Give yourself the final spray of Green or whatever color you want.
Then When dry peel the latex rubber bits off. this will leave the other colors showing below.

heres an example used on a vehicle
He over did it on the first snowspeeder but scroll down. He did a better one.

Here

Beck

"they used to sell it at Lowes...but i went back there like a week ago and they didnt have it anymore. =(
but it's Rustoleum American Accents Oregano Spraypaint, if you wanna look it up online or anything. "

exactly what i used. bought it at home depot. around $5

That latex technique looks awesome! I agree with what one person on the site said though, I'td be perfect for 1:1...Master Chief!!!!!!

What Adam was doing withe the silver is called 'dry brushing' and is well known to minature modelers. The paint is just on the tips of the brush then lightly brush it across or against the spots you want worn. To get a speckeled appearence use a toothbrush, either a worn out one or new one (get the cheapest one you can find) dip the bristle tips in the paint then run your thumb down them resulting in a spotty look, like it was hit by lots of small particals.
Check out scale modeling sites for more weathers ideas and info, weathering tricks that work on scale models will work on full size armor, you may need to use bigger brushes :)
To detail small areas like corners, recessed spots and other places that would collect sand, dirt and other stuff that anything out in the weather would pick up, us a water base acrylic paint wash. These paints are easy to use, oderless and can be thinned and cleaned up with just water. :)

I know this is kinda wierd, but has anyone tried to put anything like blood on their armor? I mean, MC has seen battle...

It's not something I would do, but just a off-the-wall suggestion to someone who might be interested.

tsau-mia said:
I know this is kinda wierd, but has anyone tried to put anything like blood on their armor? I mean, MC has seen battle...

It's not something I would do, but just a off-the-wall suggestion to someone who might be interested.

For blood effects get an old toothbrush. Dip it in a little red paint, doesnt really matter what kind, and use your fingers for this, just pull the bristles back. That action will spray the paint over what you are trying to do. However, the chief should have blue blood on him or blue/ purple.

Nice! And for fresh blood, anyone some type of thick gel type paint that can be painted on in glops, then later painted over with a blood color.?

cys920622 said:
i also used adam's method.
might've weathered it a lil too much though. but when i just had the oregano green i thought wow that doesnt look as good as i thought it would be
but as soon as i started dabbing silver onto it i was like wow... this is way better than i thought it would be.

n762560127_1595153_5278.jpg

who's adam and whats his method?
cuz the weathering on this helmet is amazing.

How about this one? I'm try'n several different weathering techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back