Aztlan's Halo 4 Rogue + Binary Rifle + M6H + Exo-suit WIP, PIC HEAVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be cool if you could make a mold of the final positive and cast it in clear resin. You could tint it Orange as well as add paint to inside of mold on the square pieces.

BTW are you going to add a pulse blinking effect?

I have to agree, and I may do that in the future... but for now, I will keep this as a "one off". As far as the blinking bit, I don't think so. I didn't see it doing that in the videos, but then again, it was only visible for a couple of frames. Does it pulse when you see in on another player in game? If so, I may have to do a bit of alteration to my circuitry. I know it goes from yellow when held to orange when thrown, but I am passing on that effect since this will never be thrown :)

i hope it goes quickly, assembling seems very tricky... i dont really have any ideas for that one...

Thanks! Since my last post, I have completed two more. This part is moving along nicely. Also, I have some "ideas", but nothing has jumped out at me as a solid answer yet. I have to keep in mind that whatever I use, it has to be out of the way of the electronics too.

Those look fantastic! Would you mind going into detail a little more about your glycerin and caulking technique? Forgive me if you already have, I readily admit to not having read most of your thread and just enjoying the pictures.

Sure thing. I use 100% Silicone (a must) and probably WAY more glycerin than required. From the research I have done, it is supposed to be around 10 drops of glycerin per 2 ounces of caulking. I just squirt a bunch in and mix with about 8 oz. at a time. You must mix well too. Now for the info on it: The glycerin aids in speeding up the curing process by forcing the liquid (I believe it is vinegar, but not positive) out of the silicone. I usually go about 1/2" thick on my first pass over my buck, doing my best to make sure it does not have any air bubbles or missed gaps. I typically apply it with my fingers,using a bowl of warm soapy water to keep it from sticking to me . Also, I always use Vaseline on my pieces to get a good release. It only takes about an hour to cure for me where I am. This time will be longer if you are in a dry and cold area, faster if you are in a hot and humid location. BTW, I live in a cooler humid area (around 55F and 60% Humidity). Depending on the piece, I generally do at least one more coat, and it usually ranges between 1/2" to 1" thick. I leave that to cure overnight. Then it is as simple as popping out your buck, coating the inside of the mold with a VERY thin layer of Vaseline and pouring what ever medium you are working with (I hear it will withstand certain molten metals too, but don't quote me on that!). There are a ton of videos on this process, and it seems they all use different techniques. You just have to choose one that works for you. The nice part is, it is an extremely inexpensive and easy to find alternative to Smooth-on products.

Caulking - Hardware store - around $5
Glycerin - Drug Store/Pharmacy/Some Grocery stores in the First-Aid area - around $10-15 for what seems to be a lifetime supply :)
Acrylic Paint - Craft store (optional - used to color the caulking - Just a couple of drops - handy if you are doing multiple thin layers so you can see where you have been) - around $1 - $2 for the cheap stuff.

Hope this helps, and if/when I make another mold, I will be sure to do a video on it so that I can add my technique to the mess ;)

I haven't replied in a while....you are making some awesome progress sir!! Thank you for going into the level of detail that you do when sharing your techniques!!

-Matt

Awesome! Thanks man! I need to make a bunch of grenades and this is much easier and cheaper than using smooth on. I live in Arizona so it's hot and dry, slower cure for sure so I'll have to be careful.

Thanks so much!

The last few days have been dealing with small details and figuring out how the heck I am going to progress with assembling the grenade (interior structure wise). Then it dawned on me! My studio backs up to a sheet metal shop that my uncle-in-law owns! DUH! A few hours struggling with the details of the template and here it is. I will need two of these, and they make room for all of the LEDs that need to be installed.

SAM_1291_zpsc77fe131.jpg

I know it looks simple, but when it is done, I believe it will not look so :)

Attachments

• SAM_1291_zpsc77fe131.jpg
    SAM_1291_zpsc77fe131.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 163
Sure thing. I use 100% Silicone (a must) and probably WAY more glycerin than required. From the research I have done, it is supposed to be around 10 drops of glycerin per 2 ounces of caulking. I just squirt a bunch in and mix with about 8 oz. at a time. You must mix well too. Now for the info on it: The glycerin aids in speeding up the curing process by forcing the liquid (I believe it is vinegar, but not positive) out of the silicone. I usually go about 1/2" thick on my first pass over my buck, doing my best to make sure it does not have any air bubbles or missed gaps. I typically apply it with my fingers,using a bowl of warm soapy water to keep it from sticking to me . Also, I always use Vaseline on my pieces to get a good release. It only takes about an hour to cure for me where I am. This time will be longer if you are in a dry and cold area, faster if you are in a hot and humid location. BTW, I live in a cooler humid area (around 55F and 60% Humidity). Depending on the piece, I generally do at least one more coat, and it usually ranges between 1/2" to 1" thick. I leave that to cure overnight. Then it is as simple as popping out your buck, coating the inside of the mold with a VERY thin layer of Vaseline and pouring what ever medium you are working with (I hear it will withstand certain molten metals too, but don't quote me on that!). There are a ton of videos on this process, and it seems they all use different techniques. You just have to choose one that works for you. The nice part is, it is an extremely inexpensive and easy to find alternative to Smooth-on products.

Caulking - Hardware store - around $5
Glycerin - Drug Store/Pharmacy/Some Grocery stores in the First-Aid area - around $10-15 for what seems to be a lifetime supply :)
Acrylic Paint - Craft store (optional - used to color the caulking - Just a couple of drops - handy if you are doing multiple thin layers so you can see where you have been) - around $1 - $2 for the cheap stuff.

I use this same technique for my molds. I find that the the acrylic paint is a must, just to ensure that there is an even mix with the glycerin and the silicone.

That said, this build is looking KILLER! I haven't commented in forever, but I have been watching this thread like a hawk! Keep up the good work!

Crazy day today! My Uncle-in-law gave me carte-blanche to his shop, so I took advantage of this and went to town on my inner structure box for the Pulse Grenade. Before I got to that point though, I started my day with a bit of Rondo, pouring my last cast for the spike settings, as well as filling pin holes and imperfections on the others I created.

Once I got into the shop, I chose a sheet of galvanized metal and scribed out my pattern. I then used the shears and cut out the design. Then came the filing to knock down all the burrs and rough edges. After that was done, I had to roll it though the press to flatten it all back down again.

SAM_1292_zps24ad2bd3.jpg

Then I drilled the holes for the edge LEDs (I really only needed one per side, but figured I would overdo it a bit to avoid confusion!)

SAM_1293_zps79e061c6.jpg

Then I doused one side (which will be the inside) with Plasti-dip to eliminate conductivity. In this picture, I have also drilled the two holes in the center portion of each side where the bolts will go through and secure the outer sides to this frame. The edges have also been bent up to the 45 degree angle that they need to be.

SAM_1294_zps6c723dea.jpg

And here, you can see in the top of the picture, that I have started to form the box shaped structure. I have to hold off here until I can get to the hardware store and purchase the nuts and bolts I need to attach the sides. I have figured that they will need to be attached before I assemble the inner box or else I would never be able to get to the bolts later!

SAM_1295_zps16ed747e.jpg

With a little luck, I will have all the sides planed down to the correct height, have the holes for the bolts drilled and the bolts epoxied in those holes. After that, I will need to start installing all the electronics (it is going to be a very tight fit) and figure out one last issue I have with the internal structure box... how I am going to connect the sides together. I so wish I had a tack welder that would fit in this tiny space! Oh well, I will figure something out :)

Attachments

• SAM_1292_zps24ad2bd3.jpg
    SAM_1292_zps24ad2bd3.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 167
  • SAM_1293_zps79e061c6.jpg
    SAM_1293_zps79e061c6.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 163
  • SAM_1294_zps6c723dea.jpg
    SAM_1294_zps6c723dea.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 148
  • SAM_1295_zps16ed747e.jpg
    SAM_1295_zps16ed747e.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 157
Crazy day today! My Uncle-in-law gave me carte-blanche to his shop, so I took advantage of this and went to town on my inner structure box for the Pulse Grenade. Before I got to that point though, I started my day with a bit of Rondo, pouring my last cast for the spike settings, as well as filling pin holes and imperfections on the others I created.

Once I got into the shop, I chose a sheet of galvanized metal and scribed out my pattern. I then used the shears and cut out the design. Then came the filing to knock down all the burrs and rough edges. After that was done, I had to roll it though the press to flatten it all back down again.

SAM_1292_zps24ad2bd3.jpg

Then I drilled the holes for the edge LEDs (I really only needed one per side, but figured I would overdo it a bit to avoid confusion!)

SAM_1293_zps79e061c6.jpg

Then I doused one side (which will be the inside) with Plasti-dip to eliminate conductivity. In this picture, I have also drilled the two holes in the center portion of each side where the bolts will go through and secure the outer sides to this frame. The edges have also been bent up to the 45 degree angle that they need to be.

SAM_1294_zps6c723dea.jpg

And here, you can see in the top of the picture, that I have started to form the box shaped structure. I have to hold off here until I can get to the hardware store and purchase the nuts and bolts I need to attach the sides. I have figured that they will need to be attached before I assemble the inner box or else I would never be able to get to the bolts later!

SAM_1295_zps16ed747e.jpg

With a little luck, I will have all the sides planed down to the correct height, have the holes for the bolts drilled and the bolts epoxied in those holes. After that, I will need to start installing all the electronics (it is going to be a very tight fit) and figure out one last issue I have with the internal structure box... how I am going to connect the sides together. I so wish I had a tack welder that would fit in this tiny space! Oh well, I will figure something out :)

Could you use riv nuts? Also another possibility for lack of a welder are short hex head self tapping screws. Another option is to cut a interlocking slot so it can be assembled without visible fasteners.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Attachments

• SAM_1292_zps24ad2bd3.jpg
    SAM_1292_zps24ad2bd3.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 168
  • SAM_1294_zps6c723dea.jpg
    SAM_1294_zps6c723dea.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 145
  • SAM_1295_zps16ed747e.jpg
    SAM_1295_zps16ed747e.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_1293_zps79e061c6.jpg
    SAM_1293_zps79e061c6.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 151
Those are some great ideas Ryno, and I think I will go with the self tapping hex head sheet metal screw due to my inability to get either of the other two into that tiny space. I can use a wrench on the hex head screws though. Just a small pre-drilled hole and it should work perfectly.... thanks :)

I spent the evening wet sanding the spike holders and now they are completed.

SAM_1297_zpsf4b01d73.jpg

Now, all of the exterior has been finished. It is time to focus on the center and assembly :)

SAM_1298_zps2a84e322.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1298_zps2a84e322.jpg
    SAM_1298_zps2a84e322.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 158
  • SAM_1297_zpsf4b01d73.jpg
    SAM_1297_zpsf4b01d73.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 146
well first off, thanks for the info about the wet sanding and whatnot. Second, wow all the pieces are coming along nicely :)
You are very talented. Seems like you have so much time to work on this stuff lol

Great imagineering on the structure for the grenade. I have to echo Mstruvmgc that you seem to be able to make build time in your shop. Is spare build time also made from Smoothcast? :)

V/R
Redshirt

well first off, thanks for the info about the wet sanding and whatnot. Second, wow all the pieces are coming along nicely :)
You are very talented. Seems like you have so much time to work on this stuff lol

Great imagineering on the structure for the grenade. I have to echo Mstruvmgc that you seem to be able to make build time in your shop. Is spare build time also made from Smoothcast? :)

V/R
Redshirt

Thanks so much guys! Yes, I do make a ton of time for my projects. I don't think there has been a single day since I have started (just over 6 months ago) where I have spent less than 4 hours working on them... and usually it is upwards of 8-10 hours a day. There are two reasons for this. One is that I am retired and I have to fill the gap with something constructive... and the second is that I used to be an alcoholic, so I REALLY need to fill that time with something constructive! :) Even with all the chemicals I use, I am still living a much healthier life now because of this (I guess you can say this hobby has quite possibly saved my life!)

And, I get to help others at the same time, so it is a double bonus for me!

Updates in just a bit... gotta file down a bit of rough edges first

Thanks so much guys! Yes, I do make a ton of time for my projects. I don't think there has been a single day since I have started (just over 6 months ago) where I have spent less than 4 hours working on them... and usually it is upwards of 8-10 hours a day. There are two reasons for this. One is that I am retired and I have to fill the gap with something constructive... and the second is that I used to be an alcoholic, so I REALLY need to fill that time with something constructive! :) Even with all the chemicals I use, I am still living a much healthier life now because of this (I guess you can say this hobby has quite possibly saved my life!)

im jealous, you get so much time
:eek
its great that you have found something to occupy yourself:)

I'm very glad you have found a healthy replacement for your addiction. You will always be an alcoholic just remember "One day at a time". :) Peace be with you.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Ok, update time. I need to stop here for the night due to the fact that the next steps will be noisy, messy, and I will need a LOT of patience!

Here, I have countersunk the bolts by Dremeling out the area where the heads go, then Rondo'ed them in place.

SAM_1300_zps882f5f56.jpg

Test fitting onto the inner framework.

SAM_1302_zps423f3f4b.jpg

And the other side.

SAM_1301_zps8e2e7ef7.jpg

I did get a bit overzealous with installing the bolts though... as I did it to all six sides, and only needed five of them that way! :eek On the left over one, I will need to grind the bolts down because I don't want them showing, and will need to Dremel out the areas for the magnets to be Rondo'ed in.

Attachments

• SAM_1300_zps882f5f56.jpg
    SAM_1300_zps882f5f56.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 156
  • SAM_1302_zps423f3f4b.jpg
    SAM_1302_zps423f3f4b.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_1301_zps8e2e7ef7.jpg
    SAM_1301_zps8e2e7ef7.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 157

I had forgotten that you mentioned your building as an outlet near the start of your thread. Good on you. I'm still active duty and not able to get in the time in long stretches. I'm able to get maybe two hours every day or two, but that means putting off other projects and maintenance. The grenade is looking great!

Redshirt

Thanks Redshirt :)

Well, epic fail on the metal inside structure. I am now working on another solution for assembling this thing. Once I have more to show and am a bit more confident with its ability to hold together, I will post photos. Hopefully in the next day or two (only because I have other secret squirrely things going on the side :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back