Aztlan's Halo 4 Rogue + Binary Rifle + M6H + Exo-suit WIP, PIC HEAVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Exactly this.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 162
Oh my god that's just beautiful... Finally we have a reliable method for an accurate under suit! Definitely incorporating this into my future build (if you don't mind) This should be Elite.

Thanks again y'all!

Ted. Go for it! As I have previously stated, I don't mind anybody copying my ideas (that is why I post them here), but getting some sort of credit would be appreciated :) Also, in case you missed it, I will be posting the patterns soon so that someone can edit them into a format that everyone can enjoy.

QUESTION TIME!!!! Kroforce's query about me overheating in the armor has got a lot of focus from my thoughts lately. I know I can handle a lot of heat, but do I really want to? Which brings me to...

Here is a question I have for all of you that have completed armor and have gone to events. If you ended up getting too hot in your armor, which it seems is a problematic scenario for most, would it have helped to have quick (10-15 seconds) really cold bursts introduced onto and surrounding your artery areas every 15-30 minutes?

If so, I think I have solved the possibility of overheating issue... which I will gladly share, pending results of answers and a field test if necessary.

If I'm thinking what you're thinking, then yes, it's certainly a good idea.

As for those loose shoulder pads - why not secure them down with a small bit of elastic around the bicep? That should allow them range of movement without being too constricting or locked in place.

If I'm thinking what you're thinking, then yes, it's certainly a good idea.

As for those loose shoulder pads - why not secure them down with a small bit of elastic around the bicep? That should allow them range of movement without being too constricting or locked in place.

LOL! I will be performing a test run on that cooling idea shortly. If I can find small cans, I will look at embedding them in the Rogue's chest piece, connect with a "T" adapter, and then the tubing will run under my compression suit... next to my skin, and under/around my arterial areas. I have not seen this done before, nor even heard of it being done, but I think it would work quite well. I might take a precautionary step and wrap the tubing with a very light cloth to keep it from directly contacting my skin though.

Also, I agree that the elastic is a great idea, but still, I need to hold off until I see what the weight of the shoulders and the torso piece does. I believe they will be heavy enough to keep the shoulder pads weighed down, and then I can just use the elastic to maintain alignment with my arms as I move them forward and such.

If I can find small cans, I will look at embedding them in the Rogue's chest piece, connect with a "T" adapter, and then the tubing will run under my compression suit.

That wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but it could work. My thought was that you'd be going for some sort of cool-vest, and run some cold water through it, but either option works, I guess.

Well, almost 18 hours straight and I knocked out one part of the Exo-suit that I was really concerned about. The lower leg is extremely problematic due to the fact that your foot needs to pass through the area where your ankle is. Fine if you don't want a nice formed fit... but I did! Trial and error, a few miss cuts (luckily too large), and a few hours to think about an amicable solution saw me through this battle.

Once I get past what I am going to do with the joints (I have some ideas brewing), the rest should be fairly straight forward.

Photo time!

Templates drawn up and EVA cut

SAM_1057_zpsf9fd557b.jpg

Internal and external cut and detail lines drawn in. This was not so easy since a lot of the lines crossed paths. So I had to use black marker to indicate detail lines, and blue ink for contour cut lines.

SAM_1058_zpsa2c2c4d8.jpg

Primary parts detailed and formed

SAM_1059_zps7cb4848c.jpg

Just another angle to show the contour

SAM_1060_zpsd81dc70a.jpg

Inside and outside pieces joined

SAM_1062_zps61f49a43.jpg

And finally... the finished product. I used both elastic and Velcro to divide the stress these parts would endure. I can literally do any movement in these and they stay perfectly secure :)

SAM_1064_zps054459dd.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1062_zps61f49a43.jpg
    SAM_1062_zps61f49a43.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 149
  • SAM_1060_zpsd81dc70a.jpg
    SAM_1060_zpsd81dc70a.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 135
  • SAM_1059_zps7cb4848c.jpg
    SAM_1059_zps7cb4848c.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_1058_zpsa2c2c4d8.jpg
    SAM_1058_zpsa2c2c4d8.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 146
  • SAM_1057_zpsf9fd557b.jpg
    SAM_1057_zpsf9fd557b.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 138
  • SAM_1064_zps054459dd.jpg
    SAM_1064_zps054459dd.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 143
How are you attaching these to your undersuit base? Or are they free-floating and kept on purely by pressure alone?

If it's the latter, I'm concerned that your shin and thigh armour may tip the balance and pull your foam parts down somewhat, but I'm sure you've accounted for this, you genius :p

WOW! What an amazing job! Your pep work was INCREDIBLE. And your foam is just as impressive. I really hope to be at this level of building someday! Thanks for the pics!

How are you attaching these to your undersuit base? Or are they free-floating and kept on purely by pressure alone?

If it's the latter, I'm concerned that your shin and thigh armour may tip the balance and pull your foam parts down somewhat, but I'm sure you've accounted for this, you genius :p

You made me LOL on that last bit of your comment! Thanks :) To answer the question though, I had a choice when I finished the torso to either continue building down, or to start at the bottom and work up. Since I seem to be keeping everything really close to scale, I figured it would be better to start low. I still will make the "boots", but a bit more thought needs to go into that before I move forward. They will be a combination of the two methods you mentioned though. Both attached to the whole suit, and kept on by the elastic's pressure. But that is more to keep it in alignment more than keep it up. Next will be the knee joint (which I have a cool plan for), and then the thigh, and lastly the COD/butt (I am actually excited about that part because I made that same sort of piece for my daughter's Lavagirl outfit and it fit like underwear, and was formed just like the reference picture I use). This will all then attach to a "belt" piece with quick connects, and that belt piece will attach to the torso via the same quick connects. That is the plan for now, but as always, I do all this as I go, so nothing is set in stone :)

WOW! What an amazing job! Your pep work was INCREDIBLE. And your foam is just as impressive. I really hope to be at this level of building someday! Thanks for the pics!

Thank you! I did a bit of backtracking and found that yesterday marked the two week mark for the undersuit, and over all I started my very first project on October 12th of 2013 (Iron Man Mk VII helmet with foam). I must admit thought, even though it has not been too long since that first project, I have an unfair advantage. Time and money. I spend approximately 6 hours minimum, and upwards to 18 hours just about EVERY day working on these. Since I have started, I can think of only a handful of days that I did not work on my projects, and that was because I was usually shopping for supplies. This brings me to the money side. I don't have a lot of it, but I budget what I can for it. Up until the beginning of October, I was a pretty serious alcoholic. I drank on average 18 16oz cans of beer a day. I quit cold turkey Oct. 1st. With that, I now had all that money I allotted for alcohol that I could use... plus I needed a hobby to keep my mind busy... so here I am! Long story short(ened), I believe anyone can do this, it is just about dedication, and learning new techniques. Listen to advice, ask questions (and LISTEN), and be flexible. Sometimes I see that the biggest downfall of most is the bullheadedness of "this is the way I learned to do it, so it is the only way". Trust me, I am that way to a certain degree too. But after I saw some of the awesome work here, stuff I thought I could never do myself, I had to ask myself how was it they could do it as I spin in circles trying to do the same thing just to end up with 1/2 the quality of theirs at best? It was because, even though they described their technique, I thought mine was better. I forced myself to learn differently. Anyways... my ramble has gone on WAY too long... keep charging and I hope to see you making wicked armor as well soon!

I love and hate how gifted you are at this.

Thank you, and see above comment :) I kinda spilled my guts there, but I think it was worth it!

Thank you! I did a bit of backtracking and found that yesterday marked the two week mark for the undersuit, and over all I started my very first project on October 12th of 2013 (Iron Man Mk VII helmet with foam). I must admit thought, even though it has not been too long since that first project, I have an unfair advantage. Time and money. I spend approximately 6 hours minimum, and upwards to 18 hours just about EVERY day working on these. Since I have started, I can think of only a handful of days that I did not work on my projects, and that was because I was usually shopping for supplies. This brings me to the money side. I don't have a lot of it, but I budget what I can for it. Up until the beginning of October, I was a pretty serious alcoholic. I drank on average 18 16oz cans of beer a day. I quit cold turkey Oct. 1st. With that, I now had all that money I allotted for alcohol that I could use... plus I needed a hobby to keep my mind busy... so here I am! Long story short(ened), I believe anyone can do this, it is just about dedication, and learning new techniques. Listen to advice, ask questions (and LISTEN), and be flexible. Sometimes I see that the biggest downfall of most is the bullheadedness of "this is the way I learned to do it, so it is the only way". Trust me, I am that way to a certain degree too. But after I saw some of the awesome work here, stuff I thought I could never do myself, I had to ask myself how was it they could do it as I spin in circles trying to do the same thing just to end up with 1/2 the quality of theirs at best? It was because, even though they described their technique, I thought mine was better. I forced myself to learn differently. Anyways... my ramble has gone on WAY too long... keep charging and I hope to see you making wicked armor as well soon!

Congratulations! I'm glad you found something else to do! I try to spend my excess time on mine, but I have three young ones lol So pepping while theyre awake leads to missing pieces and an irritated pepper lol

This is AWESOME! Save some of that snow for the warm months. Maybe you can create a body cooling system using hoses in your undersuit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

This is AWESOME! Save some of that snow for the warm months. Maybe you can create a body cooling system using hoses in your undersuit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I am currently researching information (mostly safety) on the 3.5oz compressed gas duster cans. My theory is to mount them (2) into the exterior Rogue chest piece, and connect them to a rubberized chemical resistant hose that runs through my Exo-suit and next to my arterial areas. When the can is sprayed while inverted, it releases a gas which is extremely cold, which would then travel down the tubes and cool my body. My prediction is that I would have to perform two or three blasts (5-10 seconds each) every hour or so to help alleviate overheating. While performing my research so far, I have found that this is actually a documented and authorized use for this product, so I will not be breaking any laws! As if the "canned air police" roam around a convention! But just the same, I like to stay within the laws as they are generally there for a reason.

If my continued research and/or test runs give me an undesirable result, I will have to look into another option. This would most likely be some sort of radiator/fan cooled recirculating water system... ugh, more electronics = more batteries which equals more weight and higher costs!

I use a lot of poly hose and pushlock fittings in my business. You could make a relatively cheap closed loop intercooler system. I was thinking water would suffice but it would be really trick to figure out a way to manage the duster can idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back