Back in Business!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel24950

So, I finally made it back to the site. And with a new project to boot!

For those who were following my progress the last time around, I did manage to pep nearly all of my son's armor. All I had left to do was assemble the helmet, and start slapping resin on all of the parts. Things got nuts after that.....

The short story is we had a falling out with the landlord and moved back into base housing. During the move my son's armor got crushed under a pile of stuff in a box. The wife felt bad about crushing it, and I didn't know she had done it until I unpacked the box. Anyway, it got busy over the holidays and work hasn't really slowed down at all. In June, our house got flooded and ruined a bunch of stuff so I have spent the past couple of weeks getting all of that sorted out.

Now I am back, and I started my own armor. So far the build is going quickly. I attribute that to the lessons I learned building my son's armor (and the tips I got earlier from a few supportive members of the 405th!). Below are the pics for the left bicep which I cut, scored, folded and glued today. More pics will follow as I complete pieces.

If there are any other noobs checking out this forum, and you have questions for me about building, feel free to throw something on the post. I will let you know what and how I am doing it.

Have a good one!

th_1341725040489.jpg th_1341725112860.jpg

That sucks, awesome that your back, i just started my own project, last week i made my very first helmet and covy carbine ( they both turned out way to big) :(
so i just finished my second helmet and its looking alot better, still crappy though, gonna go with...
Head: recon
chest: recon with major modifications.
shoulder right: recon
shoulder left:hyabusa.

my problem is when i am assembling the helmet, it ends up being lopsided, pieces don't want to reach other piece's and i end up fighting the paper. i tried to line up the numbers as close as possible but it ends up being off as i glue each tab. (tabs overlap each other completely)

Sorry to hear about your recent string of bad luck! Good luck with your new build. Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about your recent string of bad luck! Good luck with your new build. Keep us posted.

Thanks Carpathia! I appreciate it! I will probably get the right bicep done tomorrow, and I should have more pics up then.

As far as I can tell Otaku, you are probably working too fast on your armor. I found out that I can't cut perfectly straight lines and my scored folds aren't perfect either. So slow down a bit and don't stress about lining the numbers up exactly. The tiny holes or gaps in the pieces can be filled in after you harden the helmet. If it is still a little bit lopsided, use some tape to gently pull it into shape right before you put resin down on it. That should take care of it.

Hope that helps. Throw some pics up of what you got, and good luck with your build. It sounds like you have an intersting mix!

Thanks Carpathia! I appreciate it! I will probably get the right bicep done tomorrow, and I should have more pics up then.

As far as I can tell Otaku, you are probably working too fast on your armor. I found out that I can't cut perfectly straight lines and my scored folds aren't perfect either. So slow down a bit and don't stress about lining the numbers up exactly. The tiny holes or gaps in the pieces can be filled in after you harden the helmet. If it is still a little bit lopsided, use some tape to gently pull it into shape right before you put resin down on it. That should take care of it.

Hope that helps. Throw some pics up of what you got, and good luck with your build. It sounds like you have an intersting mix!
thanks for the tips, i hot glued a strip of cardboard in the middle of the visor area. i will post a link to the helmet sometime tomorrow.
also for the recon chest piece, i can't seem to find the back piece anywhere....its the halo 3 version by "BELAKOR"

lemony snickets strikes again. i know how you feel. its like my life is based off of that. i found the same thing. once i made one piece of armor that turns out to be to big/small and i have to remake it. it tends to go by in half the time. ive learned a few tricks over all my attempts. it you need help, just ask.

on a side note. i see your in the navy. im in the process of joining now. im aiming for gunners mate. any advice?

Me a private note, omni shift. I have plenty of tips and advice about the Navy, just not for the thread here. I would take up too much space!!

Working on the right bicep. Should have pics up in a couple of hours. Will post again when I am done.

Send me a private note, Omni Shift. I will be glad to discuss the Navy with you.

Working on the right bicep. Will post again once I am done!

a series of unfortunate events indeed, but they had a happy ending right? (never read all of them) best of luck on the new project!

Yes they did, playdohlord. Thanks!

Here are the new pics I promised. The right biep I cut out yesterday with the left. Today I scoreed, folded, and glued it together after I got back from the shooting range. Nothing quite relieves stress like punching holes in paper bad guys!! I did try to get a shot of the piece on my arm, but it didn't work out. Hard to do with a cell phone by yourself. Anyway, here they are. A pic of both pieces together, and a couple of the right by itself.

th_0708122325.jpg th_0708122326.jpg th_0708122326a.jpg

Okay. I got the helmet cut out over the past couple of days. So here's what i have so far..........

th_0710122145.jpg

And this is my faithful assistant........

th_0710121753.jpg

Well, maybe assistant is a little bit strong of a word for him. I took this within 5 minutes of sitting down to cut out the other five pages of parts, around 4:30 this afternoon.

Anyway, I will throw more pics up on Friday. I think it's going to take me that long to finish putting it together. Have a good one!

Thanks ReveilleWolfie!

So, I got the helmet built. I'm not exactly thrilled with it, but then again I have some perfectionist tendencies. There is a little tweaking needed to get it completely straight, but it doesn't look too bad. Feel free to toss any comments up about it. This is the first helmet I have built, so any critiques would be appreciated.

th_0713122152.jpg th_0713122151d.jpg th_0713122151c.jpg th_0713122151a.jpg th_0713122151.jpg

th_0713122150.jpg th_0713122150b.jpg

Next I will be working on the chest, so I will throw more pics up when I get that done.
Have a good one!

Thanks Blue Fox!! I spent a week putting it together but I still think I could have taken a little more time. Hopefully it pulls out a little straighter, and I won't have to re-build! LOL!!

I appreciate the comment!

Alright everyone. Just got the chest done. And by just done, I mean the glue is still cooling on a couple of pieces! LOL!

Anyway, here is the chest:

th_0716122041a.jpg th_0716122042a.jpg

And here is everything built so far:

th_0716122044.jpg

Not the best pic, that last one, but I had a hard time setting everything up so it wouldn't move. But that's it for now. I will at least print out the forearms tonight, but I probably won't get more pics up until they are finished. But they are coming!!

Enjoy, and feel free to post any tips/suggestions/criticisms!

Well folks......Everything from the waist up is built. Got a pic of all of it below. The build is going well, and I seem to be on schedule for now. And since this build is progressing smoothly, I have also decided to try and build my son another set of armor. The plan right now is to get the LD Mark V armor for him, since it is going to be a smaller set of armor for an 8 year old. That way I don't have to worry so much about detailing since he is probably going to try and play in it after Halloween anyway. And since he likes the Steelers, it'll be yellow with black accents so he stands out on Halloween night as well.

Let me know what you think, either about my armor or his. Have a good one!

th_0720121952.jpg

Here are the latest pieces to get pepped.........the belt/codpiece and both thighs. Hopefully I can keep working through the weekend and pretty much finish pepping all of it so I can start pepping my son's armor.

th_0721122059.jpg th_0721122050.jpg

Have a good one!!

So, I had a slight change of plans. Since the family is due back from vacation in two weeks, I will probably get my armor hardened before they get back. When they get back, then I will start my son's armor.

I think I was getting ahead of myself some!! LOL!!

Anyway, just got the shins done. Going to print out the boots and get those pepped. I will take more photos with the last of the parts pepped in the next day or two, and get some up as I start to put resin down on them.

Thanks for keeping up on my thread, and have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back