Back in the saddle - foam armour for my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, hardening day!

As with my armour I am using the polyeurethane/Plasti-Dip method. I also used this with my daughters Jyn Erso costume last year and it seems to work well.

Three coats of polyeurethane and a final coat of Plasti-Dip.

This is the poly party

D9FE5BD3-3F29-4696-A9DF-49F5AE407C3C.jpeg
E8C8BA08-832D-4578-92EA-A9DC3A613826.jpeg

Then on to Plasti

31A48CFB-B55B-4B34-983C-775120A7E89C.jpeg

I discovered a serious issue while drying. I am not sure why but the glue on some of the pieces has started to detach. Although I have heard of people in hot climates have this issue with hot glue I have never had a problem.

92872C17-151A-4E3F-A35B-50E5FB3E5418.jpeg

5C0AA067-8BBB-425B-AA0A-23EAD304B497.jpeg

E8FAF492-D3A4-4444-9EA8-AB2EFE147E12.jpeg

E568FDCE-DC7A-41A4-9207-A4C03480E90E.jpeg

Not a really big deal though, I will just fix up those pieces prior to painting.

The rest of the pieces look very good in my opinion with the Plasti-Dip doing its job of smoothing out the piece. As always, any imperfections will become battle damage.

A35EB0DD-8EFD-4AE3-AFF1-77395CD90627.jpeg
0AF83D59-EEB7-4AB4-ADE1-6FC8F61C6838.jpeg
ACDABC7E-CCEB-4EAB-853A-A4FE4D873F71.jpeg
7E6EE9B4-B852-4024-BEF8-3F7D6DA2CDC1.jpeg
A27BCB3D-A03A-49F0-9829-1E7A00FC707D.jpeg
8C13EB9A-469A-4C0E-AAA0-1DD600B56810.jpeg

Also, I know that there are a number of visible seams. This really isn’t an issue as my kids could care less (they aren’t going to be looking to be deployed) and further coats of primer and paint will continue to even things out.

I learn something new everyday. Hardening foam huh? We'd to try that sometime.

Oh yeah man. That’s what makes it like armour. It not only provides a good surface for the paint to adhere to but it gives it a hard shell and helps fill in gaps (when you dont have the glyenlettung gonthat is).

Previously I did a couple of glue wash coats before the poly but not this time in the interest of time.

Glyenlettung gonthat?

Ummmm, I can’t even....

Pretty sure I had typed “glue letting go”

Sheesh.

Yes, I did have a respirator on.

I'm not really well versed with polyurethane. Are there different types or a certain brand that you use? I would like to try this hardening method on maybe a future prop or armour piece

I bought my first cans at a dollar store near my office, just basic spray polyeurethane. Canadian Tire didn't have the same brand when I went for an emergency refill so I bought Varathane.

The method was developed by Evakura. Here is a link to his original post: FOAM Builders! New hardening technique - Alternative to Plasti-dip and PVA!

I PMd Evakura and discussed the method with him. He said that he found that if the polyeurethane is used on a piece that moves or is under stress, that it may crack and suggested using a coat of Plasti-Dip over the poly. I took this one step further and did the whole armour with a good coat of plasti. Results were very good on my Spartan armour (no issues at all) and on my daughter's Jyn Erso chest piece from last year.

I would just use whatever is the cheapest poly you can find as the whole idea is to cut the cost. Also, it will be covered with Plasti-dip and paint...

i come very close to having a melt down whenever i see parents making cosplays for their kids , that's just amazing and so soooo adorable
there should be a special reward for you people ;)
plus the armors look amazing

Reactions: Jme
i come very close to having a melt down whenever i see parents making cosplays for their kids , that's just amazing and so soooo adorable
there should be a special reward for you people ;)
plus the armors look amazing

Thanks Aya,

Truth is I have an awesome time making them.

Although the hugs I get from the girls are pretty good too!

Priming is done!

Unlike PaganBoi, I don’t have the patience to hand paint two sets of armour so it’s spray cans for me!

Back to the clothesline

C54C31E9-8D59-44D8-AAB1-E94A91294A5D.jpeg

I also created a very sophisticated drying/storage rack in bike storage area.

8B9B95AE-1267-4171-86C1-DAAF87101777.jpeg
C95B8705-BDBC-445A-ACB2-15F0AB07F837.jpeg

Last night I made the padding for the helmets. Inspired by Dirtdives’ helmet liner I created my own from the end pieces of the foam pads. It should allow for good air flow and is fitted to each of the girls.

CD1F6554-EC5A-4B13-889A-111A100AA755.jpeg
6F4C076D-EC9E-422F-976F-BB405EA6D7C6.jpeg

I also had time to prime my awesome MA5D made for me by Kaween. This year I will have a proper spartan weapon. Mwahaaahaaa

947FCD84-5605-4F4A-95D5-B58694E12B8D.jpeg

Now off to Canadian Tire to let the girls pick their colours before dance class...

Nice. I like the assembly clothesline.
I too have to insert an endbit liner for the helmet.

That is a lot of clamps........now as far as the liner in the helmet, thanks for the props but people were doing this long before me and even PaiganBoi posted a YouTube video about it.....I would suggest getting either some craft foam or upholstery foam to cover the back side of the EVA. Its it's not a comfortable feeling having that rough surface scratching you head or face after a few hours. Also you have your MA5D hanging on the trigger......Not somewhere you want to put a lot of weight on......even though its a 3D print piece.....

Reactions: Jme
That is a lot of clamps........now as far as the liner in the helmet, thanks for the props but people were doing this long before me and even PaiganBoi posted a YouTube video about it.....I would suggest getting either some craft foam or upholstery foam to cover the back side of the EVA. Its it's not a comfortable feeling having that rough surface scratching you head or face after a few hours. Also you have your MA5D hanging on the trigger......Not somewhere you want to put a lot of weight on......even though its a 3D print piece.....

Yeah, switched the MA5D to the back grip as soon as it was dry enough.

The clamps cost a whopping $3 at the dollar store.

Good thinking on lining the EVA with craft foam.

While I know that people were using helmet liners before you (the 501st guys have been doing it for eons), your use of it reminded me of it, so props anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back