Basic Beta Models by Robogenisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
small request

why not add supports to the models?
Well, I might later, but right now I'm making the high-detail models, and am a little busy. Between school, high-detail models, sleeping (yes, even I do it), and time for fun, I don't really have to much extra time. I will try to get to that eventually though.

ok cool right now im trying a little experimetning in sketchup to make weapon and armor pdo's with supports so idk mayber i can help out some (no im not asking for any models i have my own edit)

made the helmet outta pepakura today.
lot easier than other mark VI.
so great job.
looking forward to making other parts.
one more thing.
to make the little sides thingys.
what would you replace those with.
the things that come out around the jaw structure.
that look like tubes on the real halo helmet.
what would you use for that?

i'm asking for specifics buddy.
i know its a tube of some sort.
But you know how big of a variety of tubes there are.
thats why i asked what you would replace those with.
like what kind of tubes should i get.
it's more of a "hey, what did you use to make yours, and did it work well" question.
good job on wasting a post and time.

perhaps a tube? think about it. where would have tubes? maybe... the plubming section in a large hardware store.. or even some tubes from a car parts store. Its a ribbed tube mate, use your bloody imagination.

my bloody imagination?
nice.
once again.
and who's to say i didn't think of using something similar to that and not have it work.
wasted all the time and money for nothing.
hence why i asked, what did YOU use and in the people who have made it.

aooo309 Most people have used Split automotive wire loom. Click the link below for an example. If the link doesn't work just copy and paste it into your browser that should work. Or just google Split wire loom.

You can Buy this product at any car auto parts place. A lot of hardware stores carry it as well. Also last but not least Some major chain stores carry it like wallmart.

It comes in many sizes. My advice is to hold off buying it until you are at the Bondo stage of your helmet. At this stage you will be cutting out the holes for the loom in the jaw. Take your helm with you and compare what deferent sizes would look like. Find one that pleases you. Most people glue the loom in as a last step after detailing and painting. I hope this helped.

http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.com/Loom...Spiral_Wrap.htm

yes it did, thank you very much.
last thing.
do i do the same for the visor too?
wait till everything is painted and resined and then cut off the pep visor and replace it or what?

yes it did, thank you very much.
last thing.
do i do the same for the visor too?
wait till everything is painted and resined and then cut off the pep visor and replace it or what?
Most people build the helmet and leave the visor in for support, then resin it twice, then you can either fiberglass everything except the visor, or you can remove the visor and then fiberglass everything. Just don't resin or fiberglass the visor, or it will be very hard to remove.

i can't post topics i woulda asked on a new topic.
and i couldn't find the topic for this.
i read somewhere that someone said there father said they would die since there head is inside breathing in fiberglass.
and then people told him what to put around the fiberglass to make it safer.
can anyone answer that question for me.

Here's what I found in this website:

<blockquote>There is currently a great deal of debate concerning the health effects of fiberglass. It is, however, agreed that fiberglass is an irritant. Skin irritation is generally associated with thick fibers which can be found in insulation wools and filamentous glass. Fiberglass may also cause irritation of the eyes and throat. If the exposure is sufficient, fiberglass may produce irritation dermatitis and difficulty in breathing, which will go away once exposure has ceased.

There have been a variety of studies designed to determine whether fiberglass can have a carcinogenic effect in humans. Differing results have been attributed to problems determining exposure, achieving statistical power, and accounting for the type and size of fibers.

The larger continuous fibers, with diameters greater than 3µm (micrometers) and length greater than 10µm have been designated by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) as an "A4" substance meaning "Not Classifiable as a Human Carcinogen". This means that there is insufficient data to draw a conclusion either way about any cancer causing potential.

Glass wool which has diameters down to 0.05µm and lengths greater than 1µm have been designated by the ACGIH as an "A3" substance. This classifies the glass wool as an animal carcinogen, but indicated that the dose and the routes of exposure of the animal studies are not considered to be relevant to worker exposure. They go on to state that "Available evidence suggests that the agent is not likely to cause cancer in humans except under uncommon or unlikely routes or levels of exposure."</blockquote>
Working with fiberglass and resin is one nasty experience. Working without a respirator (not a dust mask!) is even worse. I use a a 3M brand of respirator with a cartridge designed to filter out organic solvent fumes like those that come from resins.

I have a friend who is a boat builder, he calls fiberglass the next generations asbestos. Its certainly a usefull product but, I avoid using it when I can.
@aooo309, sorry if I sounded like a jerk, sometimes I come across as a bit terse in my posts.

im the noobest of noobs so here goes. how do u scale in pepakura? i got the models and they look great.
Your not the BIGGEST noob. You know what scaling is and how to spell "Pepakura". I've seen worse :p

Open up the file in pepakura, then go to "2DPatternWindow". Click "Scale up/down development by specifying scale". Enter your height in inches in the scale box, and that should be about right. From my experience though, you'll need to scale it to little a shorter size.

If you read all the stickies, and my first post, you could have figured this out yourself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ral Partha @ Dec 26 2007, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Here's what I found in this website:

<blockquote>There is currently a great deal of debate concerning the health effects of fiberglass. It is, however, agreed that fiberglass is an irritant. Skin irritation is generally associated with thick fibers which can be found in insulation wools and filamentous glass. Fiberglass may also cause irritation of the eyes and throat. If the exposure is sufficient, fiberglass may produce irritation dermatitis and difficulty in breathing, which will go away once exposure has ceased.

There have been a variety of studies designed to determine whether fiberglass can have a carcinogenic effect in humans. Differing results have been attributed to problems determining exposure, achieving statistical power, and accounting for the type and size of fibers.

The larger continuous fibers, with diameters greater than 3µm (micrometers) and length greater than 10µm have been designated by the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) as an "A4" substance meaning "Not Classifiable as a Human Carcinogen". This means that there is insufficient data to draw a conclusion either way about any cancer causing potential.

Glass wool which has diameters down to 0.05µm and lengths greater than 1µm have been designated by the ACGIH as an "A3" substance. This classifies the glass wool as an animal carcinogen, but indicated that the dose and the routes of exposure of the animal studies are not considered to be relevant to worker exposure. They go on to state that "Available evidence suggests that the agent is not likely to cause cancer in humans except under uncommon or unlikely routes or levels of exposure."</blockquote>
Working with fiberglass and resin is one nasty experience. Working without a respirator (not a dust mask!) is even worse. I use a a 3M brand of respirator with a cartridge designed to filter out organic solvent fumes like those that come from resins.</div>

thats alot of useful information.
thanks but...
still doesn't answer my question.
so in that statement you gave should i just not wear a helmet or should i wear goggles a full ski mask and a respirator under my helm or what?
thanks tho.

NZ-TK said:
I have a friend who is a boat builder, he calls fiberglass the next generations asbestos. Its certainly a usefull product but, I avoid using it when I can.
aooo309, sorry if I sounded like a jerk, sometimes I come across as a bit terse in my posts.

it's already bud.
it's the internet.
anything can be mistaken for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
aooo309 said:
so in that statement you gave should i just not wear a helmet or should i wear goggles a full ski mask and a respirator under my helm or what?
IMO, when working with fiberglass and resin, these are the minimum items that you should be wearing:<ul>[*]respirator with organic solvent filter cartridge[*]goggles[*]latex gloves[*]long-sleeved shirt[/list]Normally, you don't need to wear a ski mask but if you're sanding and a lot of resin dust gets stirred up, then do so. A shower afterwards is also useful in getting rid of any dust that settled on you.

aooo309 said:
thats alot of useful information.
thanks but...
still doesn't answer my question.
thanks tho.
it's already bud.
it's the internet.
anything can be mistaken for something else.

I am pretty sure you will be safe wearing the helmet once it has fully cured. Many motorcycle helmets are made from fiberglass and I have not heard of any horror stories of people getting sick from wearing them.

aooo309 said:
mgrmax said:
I am pretty sure you will be safe wearing the helmet once it has fully cured. Many motorcycle helmets are made from fiberglass and I have not heard of any horror stories of people getting sick from wearing them.
aooo309: I guess I didn't understand your original question. Wearing a helmet that has been fiberglassed and resined should pose no harm. The worst case scenario is when it is a bit smelly. A lot have suggested that you use baby powder to neutralize the smell. The danger that your dad told you is about fiberglass (and resin) dust, hence my other post. Since resin seals the fiberglass in, no need to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back