Battlebots.. on ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/14/2035241

Anon: We got all excited earlier this week about robo-combat returning to TV with ESPN, but now PopMech super geek Erik Sofge talks to the folks at BattleBots and finds out that because of so many early entries, the competition will be delayed until at least November. The reason? Gone are the babes and predictable wedge fights, in are eager engineering students, a crazy ramp arena and lots of new rules. Worth the wait, or do we miss the Comedy Central version?

For those unfamiliar, what happened in ages past, basically.. Battlebots got a TV deal with Comedy Central, the show was awesome for a bit, then the show went to pot as stupid things were tried to bump ratings, and they got canceled. Since then robot combat has been a hobby.. but with a show on ESPN, there will be sponsors. Hopefully Battlebots can be even more awesome this time around.

I'd love to see Grant ( Mythbusters) come back...anyway.

I loved that show! Of course I am a tech-geek with a thing for destroying things..any-who. I'm happy. Time to see hours and hours of hard work get destroyed with one large spiked hammer....fun..fun..

-Joe

abandonship said:
i miss seeing robots tear eachother apart

I know..

I still have some of the Battle Bots toys they came out with when I was like 7..

Wonder how much they're worth..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a Robotics Club in college. We actually participated in BBIQ, which was an education version of Battle Bots for High Schools(Colleges were added later). First year(2004) in the competition, my school placed fourth out of the all the College/Universities. I'll try and find some footage of our first bout as it was the most memorable.

Here's the BBIQ site >>> http://www.battlebotsiq.com

NZ-TK said:
I liked the british version, the american one was all bright lights and fireworks

Bah, robot wars was bollocks. Hosted by wrestler, you could be destroyed by the 800-pound "house bots" anytime, they looooooved pits.. blegh. As a competitor, I can tell you, pits f**king blow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Setrakian will rule all with an iron fist!

p44mechadon.web.jpg

Thanks for the news Vrogy, I too was a Battlebots geek. Still have old episodes on tape. Moar would be appreciated though!

Wonderful news!

If it plays here, I'll certainly watch it. I just hope there are less radio controlled wedges than before. I understand it's one of the most logical shapes to make your battlebot but, I watched too much voltron as a kid and I want bipedal axe wielding death trooper bots. Bill Gates should stop building hospitals and uni's to fund it.

(off topic but, Curses! I got Rick Rolled!)

This is def. good news, ive only seen a couple of matches since when it was on I was not living in this country... but nothign says a good time like watching robots kill each other :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back