Beaky Space Marine Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deathcoreknight, watch your mouth. Samuray is making these files for a friend and is doing us a favour by sharing them with us. He didn't have to, but he is. So shut up and put up.

Deathcoreknight said:
hey umm.......... yah how is the back pack comeing alone let me know when u are about to pst it so i can be ready to mod it b/c your scaleing failed iv have had re mod everything so far b/c nintendude was tellling me about how he might pst one b/c he has alot of them already made a way better chest b/c were going to allc on with remoded parts and its truing out great but your crotch fails so im stuck right now till he send me some supplies b/c i sold him my gundam to him 125 dollars b/c i got it all made expect for the belt the scale was wrong and i dont care he bought it and now we are makeing SM ultra marnies for all con

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I would just be glad that someone is working on the files and if you have to mod them afterwards for scaling (etc.) then just do it. After all, you're not paying for the work that is being done :rolleyes

Deathcoreknight said:
lol u make me lol....i was just giveing constructive cirt come on now

That's not constructive criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deathcoreknight said:
hey umm.......... yah how is the back pack comeing alone let me know when u are about to pst it so i can be ready to mod it b/c your scaleing failed iv have had re mod everything so far b/c nintendude was tellling me about how he might pst one b/c he has alot of them already made a way better chest b/c were going to allc on with remoded parts and its truing out great but your crotch fails so im stuck right now till he send me some supplies b/c i sold him my gundam to him 125 dollars b/c i got it all made expect for the belt the scale was wrong and i dont care he bought it and now we are makeing SM ultra marnies for all con

PUNCTUATION.

Deathcoreknight said:

I'm going to have to agree with Belakor. This doesn't sound like constructive criticism. I'm doing my best here, broseph. I have a pretty hectic schedule seeing as I'm in my final semester at a top 5 engineering college and I have 2 jobs. I'm 22 and I support my family, myself and my fiancee due to economic problems. So, feel lucky that I took the extra time to learn how to do 3D modeling for this project, and then to learn how to unfold stuff in pepakura, and then took the extra time to upload them. I don't have time to make this stuff right now. I only worked on this stuff for you guys at the moment. If there wasn't demand for these files and I didn't respect the community like I do, I would have saved this work for a less hectic time.

If the scaling didn't work for you, please forgive me. You should always double check the measurement based on the scaling numbers. If, when you type in the scaling number, it says that your leg is 6 feet or 6 inches tall, you could save some time and paper by just spending a couple seconds to look at the assembled height. It might help to get to know the rough dimensions of your body for this purpose. Write them down. Keep them by your computer.

I'm not looking to start a flame war (especially since, for some reason, I've stopped getting indications when this thread is updated), but if you keep this stuff up, I'm going to stop giving out the files for free and just give them to people who appreciate it. You have to keep in mind that it's free. It's something I'm doing to give back to the community. Once I graduate, I'll actually have time to make some of this stuff myself and then I can critique the files a little better. Until then, keep your nose to the grind stone.

There was a time where I thought about not releasing these files (at least until I get them made myself). You're causing me to re-think my decision. You're lucky that I didn't see this comment before these other guys commented.

If you'd like to do something constructive with your criticism, it'd look something like this:

"I tried to put together some of your pieces and the scaling that you gave was off. I found that for someone of my height (insert height here). The scale for the insert piece name here should be scaling that you found worked".

Now, if you're too lazy to do the work or think that you're time isn't worth doing the work, why would you expect us to do this for you for free?

Ugh. Rant concluded.

P.S. You really do need to look into using punctuation and not abbreviating every other word. It makes it hard to read and if I don't know what you're saying, I can't help you and you can't help me.

Samuray said:
I have a pretty hectic schedule seeing as I'm in my final semester at a top 5 engineering college and I have 2 jobs. I'm 22 and I support my family, myself and my fiancee due to economic problems.

Holy....

And you still find the time to make these files? Kudos to you good sir

Tango 89er said:
Holy....

And you still find the time to make these files? Kudos to you good sir

Thanks. It is what it is. Luckily, I have a decent enough job lined up for after I get out of school that I can stick to just doing that. I just count myself lucky that I was able to help out as much as I can. It's rough out there for a lot of people these days.

Anyways. I think this thread has been side-tracked enough. I'll let you guys know if I get anything else done.

Judge said:
I was thinking about the same thing but wasn't going to make suggestions until I made it. If you decide to try anyway, I suggest to have the top of the forearm go straight from the inner tips ( from the elbow joining) and follow the line of the middle elbow curve, if you understand me. I'm thinking about fixing pivot points between the elbow openings & the top of the forearm.

forearmexplanation.jpg

Excuse the crudeness but I'm a bit rushed. The red is added in & the circle obviously the pivot point. I think it'll work for 2-piece forearms.

hi going back to pages 4 to the arm i been working on one out of card for some time now so i was glad to see this forum i have used the same set up for the elbow but there is one problem with it half the time only one hinge out of the two would work

i have tried to use just one hinge and that works pretty much ok just a pain in the butt to line it up only way i have not yet tried is having the elbow fixed to the forearm and placing the hinge on the upper arm

cant Waite to up grade my pakura so i can start to use some of this stuff to speed up my own Armour

i have also come up with a number of ways to attach the arms and shoulders to the chest all works out in my

mind and on paper so far just need to get them all made to trie it out can post them if any one is

interested in giving them ago

great work and keep it up

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had the time to build this stuff myself, so thanks for being my guinea pigs in the mean-time :) ;)

Samuray said:
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had the time to build this stuff myself, so thanks for being my guinea pigs in the mean-time :) ;)

lol been working on it for the past 8 years its only this year i started to make it will post the eng side of it up soon as i clean it up a bit

decanus said:
lol been working on it for the past 8 years its only this year i started to make it will post the eng side of it up soon as i clean it up a bit

Awesome. I look forward to it.

For the elbow joint, it could theoretically be mounted without the hinge, IE attatched to the vambrace, if the hinge is posing too much of a problem...but this looks great so far, keep up the great work!

*double edit* Also, are you modeling the pieces from scratch or using a base 3D model and manipulating it? And will you be releasing the 3D models when you have finished this project? I can see a lot of use that even the base 3D models have, such as differnt marks of armor with minor tweaks. Or better yet, making even more ornate armor with more modeling, something that takes far more time than most people are willing to throw at it. Personally, I'd be interested at taking a swing at this, even though I've never done any sort of armoring like this. I'm a fan of the Warhammer universe and have always wanted to try to make a suit of Space Marine armor. That you are releasing the .pdo's is awesome, and I thank you. :)

space marines are GINORMOUS things. they aren't even human. they are bio engineered super soldiers. they are actually 2.4 meters tall. so if you were to make ACTUAL space marine suit it would be a major feat. and your progress so far is amazing. i could barely fathom how you used the 3d stuff into pepakura would you be able to explain or send me a link :) i plan on making a black Templar suit if possible. but thats long ways away. is there any way i could help?

O.k. the Big Halloween day is gone and the kids looked awesome... SO now I have time to pick this back up and start working on it again.

The files are looking awesome!!!

I am working on my helmet right now.

Things I'm and going to modify during the construction: This is in no way an issue with the files or the peps, just a personal preference to make this a bit easier for myself.

1) I am not going to pep the vents in the beak. I'm going to design these in foam core or card board. Peping these on my first helmet (which was too big) proved to be too difficult for my Noobish experience.

2) I am going to do the same for the light socket on the top of the helm, The tiny tabs are way to small for my fat fingers!!!

3) I am going to try something new to create a mold. It's going to be similar to what hat makers use, I'll let you all know how it works. The worse case I'll have to pep the helm again and I don't have anything else to do while I watch the kids... Oh maybe I should watch the kids! :)

So basically I am going to create the shell and add the details later.

I'll start a WIP and post up photos as I go along.

Thanks for the great files! It's really appreciated...

spartan215 said:
space marines are GINORMOUS things. they aren't even human. they are bio engineered super soldiers. they are actually 2.4 meters tall. so if you were to make ACTUAL space marine suit it would be a major feat. and your progress so far is amazing. i could barely fathom how you used the 3d stuff into pepakura would you be able to explain or send me a link :) i plan on making a black Templar suit if possible. but thats long ways away. is there any way i could help?

Doing 3D work is the hard part but putting a 3D model into Pepakura is actually easy to do. All it really takes is a 3D file that is imported into the designer program and then manually broken down into sections and pieces which can be re-constructed to form the 3D model that you imported into the program, there is a lot in between importing the file and saving the completed PDO file if you want to know more of how it works feel free to PM or e-mail me.

chwbcc said:
I am working on my helmet right now.

Things I'm and going to modify during the construction: This is in no way an issue with the files or the peps, just a personal preference to make this a bit easier for myself.

1) I am not going to pep the vents in the beak. I'm going to design these in foam core or card board. Peping these on my first helmet (which was too big) proved to be too difficult for my Noobish experience.

2) I am going to do the same for the light socket on the top of the helm, The tiny tabs are way to small for my fat fingers!

I actually did the same thing with my helm. I left out the vents and didn't cut out the "light" part on top. I'm going to use part of a superball for that part I think. I recently found a bag of them while helping cleaning my parents basement of my old junk and there's different sizes. So now I just have to figure out which one will work best.

Make sure you post a link here when you start a wip. I want to see what kind of stuff I need to change before I do the rest of my armor in January when I finally have time to work on it.

Samuray said:
I actually did the same thing with my helm. I left out the vents and didn't cut out the "light" part on top. I'm going to use part of a superball for that part I think. I recently found a bag of them while helping cleaning my parents basement of my old junk and there's different sizes. So now I just have to figure out which one will work best.

Make sure you post a link here when you start a wip. I want to see what kind of stuff I need to change before I do the rest of my armor in January when I finally have time to work on it.

Ok, Samuray,

I have to say thank you... I know it's stupid but man building the helm brought back some fond memories of painting these marines when I was a kid! I didn't get really excited until I actually finished the head lamp and the top of the helm started taking shape. Then I couldn't stop smiling as I finished attaching the top, collar and the beak. Very nice work it looks exactly as the models I have stashed away in my garage!!!

I can't remember if you Pep'd the 3d files or if some one volunteered to do it... too lazy to look back through the thread... But here are some notes for people trying to build this.

1) I didn't attempt to build the nose tip. These pieces are not pep'd very well so I left the tip open and just closed it with some masking tape. It's not perfect but I can fix it later in the other steps of the build.

2) I also didn't pep the vents. These are goung to be added later as well. Possibly card stock or cut directly into class. Another modification I will be able to work on in later steps.

3) The back of the scope on the head was a pain so I just cut some card stock scraps to fill the gaps and I masking taped it into place. The pieces were very odd in shape and not very easy to work with. And guess what? I can work on that area later... :)

4) The ears were also left unpeped. I liked the shape of the boxes but the final extension pieces can be added later or not at all. I prefer a different design for the final ear extension piece, I am going to make mine completely round like the first generation of Beaky Space Marines.

5) I didn't cut all the tabs individually, I actually trimmed across the tops of the tabs to create a larger tab. I think that the total number of tabs could be reduced by 3/4. I only trimmed them as I needed the card stock to bend. Sometimes every other tab or so.

6) Super easy to build and if the tabs count was reduced this would be a great beginner project because the pieces are easy to work with and the final Pep'd helmet is sturdy. It is going to be a piece of cake to Resin, Glass and Bondo.

Here is my WIP so everyone can follow my progress.

Again the Helm and Shoulder are amazing! Thanks a million!

kolinrulz said:
what game is this from?

Warhammer 40k it started as a table top game and now is on the PC as Dawn of War.

The Beakie is what the first version of what the Space Marines miniatures looked like.

Check it out here

There's definitely a lot of places that could be made better on the helmet. This was my first time using a 3d program. Had I known what I know now, it would have turned out better probably. Maybe later I can make said improvements. Thanks for all the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back