Belakor's Halo 3D Weapon Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spawn Camp3r said:
I like it! really makes me wish I hadn't run out of card stock :/

Knox. said:
Wow, this is so great I lost in the detail.

Wallace said:
Wow I have to say these pieces are beautiful they really are

Thanks everyone :D Hopefully have more interesting stuff soon!

Akademee said:
these renders are amazing, I too use solid works for my projects, but nothing as detailed as this, I really hope I get to see more from you soon!

Cool, good to see more solid modelers on here :D and thanks :)

ACDCrockr209 said:
Awesome work here!!

You are saying that these are goign to be machined, am I correct? Cause if you are they're going to be the most epicnesses thing in the word.

Where can I get my hands on solid works? I deffinately want to try it out.

-Pony

Some of these models will almost certainly be machined at some point, I'm not sure which ones at this stage but I am kicking around the idea to build an all metal M6C SOCOM at some stage ;) I'll be printing some of the models in here once I get my 3D printer too, will have to see how that works out.

As Loess posted just above you can get SW for a pretty reasonable price if you're a student, otherwise it's pretty pricey. It is a pretty expensive piece of software but it's pretty awesome, not sure if they do a demo but it might pay to look around (or see if you can find someone that has it to play with,a local school or something maybe?)

An update on the sight, blinky lights are cool

3926702283_af86a2f7b6_m.jpg 3926700603_9973c833f7_m.jpg

And the sight on the SMG:

3926875605_fb24f58515_m.jpg 3926876937_78963617f4_m.jpg

3927659834_337cdbcd78_m.jpg 3927662874_805f3e352f_m.jpg

3927661406_e5ef876569_m.jpg

Didn't notice that there were a few faces missing texture until after the renders had finished but I'll have new ones done soon so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking even better, and now I can say after seeing some more recent footage that the dot is in fact exactly as you hate it :D and I think you are right about the curvature being a result of a low poly model.

Spawn Camp3r said:
looking even better, and now I can say after seeing some more recent footage that the dot is in fact exactly as you hate it :D and I think you are right about the curvature being a result of a low poly model.

I thought that would be the case… I guess my SMG will just be a little inaccurate ;)

I've noticed the same problem with with other parts of the standard SMG in Halo 3 recently while grabbing references, sometimes I just make stuff up and hope it works out :)

The first photos of the all metal M6C SOCOM model...

Powder coat:

3927575347_39340d6e8b_m.jpg 3927576673_60dbf1994d_m.jpg

3927577665_946e0825f5_m.jpg 3927583083_0828866636_m.jpg

Aluminium:

3927618459_2a140cf81a_m.jpg 3928403922_a44000ed82_m.jpg

3928413354_e1ff32f363_m.jpg 3927637799_5801aed2f9_m.jpg

I'm rebuilding the whole thing from scratch in multiple parts for machining, so far the suppressor is in nine parts. You can't really see it but underneath I've got a removable picatinny rail, I don't think that will work very well with the game accurate LAM so I'll work up another system as well but it'll work for any aftermarket accessories.

drgon47 said:
your modeling never ceases to be less then 110%...

I try to learn something new every time I start a new model so I'm constantly trying to improve and stay ahead of the game :) That's also why I like to jump between projects, if there's something on a model I can't do or just do badly I move on and eventually learn how to do it right ;)

bevbor said:
Hey, man, you must tell us, how much costs the video card in your computer, man :)

It's an ATI Radeon HD 2400 with 128 MB of VRAM, just the standard card that came with my iMac*, nothing fancy but it seems to do the job :) I really need to get a Mac Pro at some stage so I can actually upgrade the graphics card should it need it, I'm pretty sure all Apple computers except the Mac Pro have permanent graphics cards

*I run Solidworks in Parallels because I refuse to run a dedicated Windows PC ever again :p

Btw all the pics in this thread are smaller now, the load times were getting a little long.

Belakor said:
... just the standard card that came with my iMac*, nothing fancy but it seems to do the job...

Well, so please tell me, what exacly function do you using to get so beautiful rendering? Photoworks?

1ManBattalion said:
Brother as always, your work is very impressive no matter what the Medium is.

Thanks man :) It's good to hear back about this stuff... from everyone, the feedback is good :D

bevbor said:
Well, so please tell me, what exacly function do you using to get so beautiful rendering? Photoworks?

I use PhotoView 360 :)

I only really use it with the "HDR studio shadow environment" and render as a PNG at about 1280 x 1024 though the background in the renders I post here is something I did in Photoshop (a two tone grey gradient with some noise).

I used to render them as a Radiance HDR image then convert to TIFF and then again to PNG (that's the only way I've ben able to get it to render with the PhotoView background) but now the photo viewing software on my Mac doesn't work like it used to so I'm back to just PNG and add the background myself.

I posted this up last night on Flickr and Twitter, just an early render of the all metal pistol in progress:

3927944143_b87679c926_m.jpg

The barrel actually has rifling, though you can't see it. There are some issues with the design of the pistol too,it just wasn't meant to be made real, I should be able to work around them though.

I should probably point this out, when I'm talking about making it all metal or working I don't mean functional like a real pistol (it wont load or fire real or blank rounds), there are far too many legal complications with making a prop that realistic ;)

Edit: Opinion time again... should I separate what I've been calling the LAM along the red line in the pic below?

3928959431_745820f7b4_m.jpg

To me it looks like it's supposed to be two pieces but I thought I'd try for some other opinions :) Will be easy enough to throw together an attachment system if I do go with a two piece design.

3929458303_8731e3e9a0_m.jpg 3929462681_1a79e38570_m.jpg

3930240208_a151ec7393_m.jpg

Belakor said:
I use PhotoView 360 :)

It is Mega Cool! <facepalm> Why I didn't discovered it eralier </facepalm>

Just tried it without any thinked thru settings (materials choosen randomly):

3929885013_55fc6af9cd.jpg

Thank you for the hint!

bevbor said:
It is Mega Cool! <facepalm> Why I didn't discovered it eralier </facepalm>

Just tried it without any thinked thru settings (materials choosen randomly):

Thank you for the hint!

Cool, glad I could hep out a little :) That SR looks real good even with the randomly chosen materials, should look amazing with the final render :D

Haven't done much on this today, got the slide mostly done, frame too, and started working out the mechanics of the moveable pieces etc:

3929907381_7827b27060_m.jpg 3929909129_70b13c2394_m.jpg

3931774064_94e602254b_o.jpg

Another quick modelling plus quick rendering. Custom warthog with SA / SS missiles :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I'm stopping :) I'm just so excited by PV360 :)

I have heard for years now that Mac's are better at this kind of thing, but I think you bring a great deal to the screen. Otherwise it would just sit there. lol

Keep up the Epic work.

A few updated renders of the pistol:

3982010973_74961abd34_m.jpg 3982008523_1a21902b8d_m.jpg

3982777850_e769427247_m.jpg 3982005919_32bb15f7ed_m.jpg

Haven't worked on it in ages but I managed to get the grips done before other stuff took priority.

Made the laser/light a two piece setup, it screws together from the top (which is then hidden by the rail on the suppressor), started working on the internals for those two piece too so I can add a functional light and laser.

I also did this quickly this morning as a test:

3981597967_55bd015ee9_m.jpg

It's a scaled down version of the top of the Brute flame grenade printed on my Cupcake CNC, it was going real well but an axis (or two) lost a couple of steps about 45mins in and shifted the print so I aborted. I'll redo the model later and remove a lot of the material so it prints way quicker... I could do a while line of scaled weapons :D I'm going to try a scaled helmet or two sometime too ;)

Going to be working on finishing off the ODST weapon models soon and starting on some new stuff, the goal is to model every weapon and prop in the Halo universe for the eventual CNCing/RPing.

Wow dude, you have some seriously mad skills. I wish I could do stuff that ridiculously awesome (without trying). But alas, I am too lazy.

the goal is to model every weapon and prop in the Halo universe for the eventual CNCing/RPing.

Can i haz fuel rod gunz? :D

That would be quite an accomplishment. Are you going to do the equipment too?

Garland said:
Wow dude, you have some seriously mad skills. I wish I could do stuff that ridiculously awesome (without trying). But alas, I am too lazy.

It helps when your job and your hobby are the same thing ;)

Garland said:
Can i haz fuel rod gunz? :D

That would be quite an accomplishment. Are you going to do the equipment too?

Fuel rod gun is on the list, I haven't planned it or anything but it'll get done eventually.

Yeah, equipment, weapons, some vehicles. As much as I can really, from the games, books, comics, shorts, movies (should they ever get made), anime... everything! probably armour too but the weapons and equipment interest me more right now.

"It helps when your job and your hobby are the same thing ;)" ( didn't quote right...)

Man i wish i had a job and hobby that were the same, What is it exactly that you do?

Dh748 said:
"It helps when your job and your hobby are the same thing ;) " ( didn't quote right...)

Man i wish i had a job and hobby that were the same, What is it exactly that you do?

Technical term is freelance practical FX artist, also solid modeler/3D modeler... basically I build things, both physical and digital, for people that need them. It's just a temporary thing while I wait for production to start on some stuff so I can pick up some real, more permanent work :)

Another in-progress Halo weapon:

4145871792_d2e7491a1b_m.jpg 4145870598_4a4df6628f_m.jpg

4145870250_90723c9a22_m.jpg

That's maybe an hour of work, most of which was getting the reference images lined up properly and sketching the basic outline. I'm building the whole thing in stages so you could make it functional and by functional I mean lights and sounds, not actually blowing stuff up with a laser (as fun as that may be :p)

Something I've only just discovered, the Spartan Laser is big! It'll be interesting to see how difficult it is to hang on to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back