Best foam thicknesses for ODST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callianis

Hello, is this in the right section? :)

Woohoo I won a $200 voucher from a cosplay supply, er, supplier. Before ordering some foamy goodness I wanted to ask what are the generally accepted foam thicknesses best used for an ODST (except helmet which I've 3D printed)? I've done some trawling through the forums and so far I'm thinking the correct answer is what TurboCharizard and PaiganBoi have between them mentioned - 10mm for the base and 6mm and 2mm for detailing. I assume 10mm is because of the interconnecting floor mats, but given I can choose any thickness from 1mm to 12mm, would that mean a different thickness to 10mm would be better?

Thanks in advance :)
Calli

Considering the foam is coming from a cosplay supplier the quality of foam tends to be much better and denser than the puzzle piece floor mats. If the foam is 90 lbs or higher you could get away with using a thinner foam. You could use 8mm or even 6mm if it's 125 lb foam.

Edit: By the way, Congrats on winning some supply money. Lucky bugger.... :cautious::cautious:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies :)

It's known as EVA 220 which doesn't really mean much to me or how it translates to a lb measurement ^_^ According to a PDF found on prfloors.com it suggests that's a pretty decent density, so perhaps 8mm will do the trick for me for the thicker armour pieces.

Yes lucky me and some of their foam is on sale for half price at the moment ;) It's an Aussie store known for quality service and they send chocolate and lollies with their orders ;)

Considering the foam is coming from a cosplay supplier the quality of foam tends to be much better and denser than the puzzle piece floor mats. If the foam is 90 lbs or higher you could get away with using a thinner foam. You could use 8mm or even 6mm if it's 125 lb foam.

Edit: By the way, Congrats on winning some supply money. Lucky bugger.... :cautious::cautious:

... i understood it Will be better if it was 8mm EVA

My best guess is that EVA 220 is the same as the 100kg since scale factor of 2.2lbs to 1kg. Foam density is measured in mass per unit volume so you're looking at some pretty hefty stuff there Callianis. Most floormats that folks use float around the 40-45kg rating so you're in for a treat.

If the foam comes in rolls from the supplier, get some plywood or similar large, flat and heavy surfaces to help flatten everything out before using it, these heavy duty foams really like to hold their shape.

Thanks for the useful advice :)

This shop ships their foam out in flat sheets (have previously ordered from them, but now looking to stock up and diversify on thickness). The largest sheet is 100cm x 80cm (approx 40" x 32").

*rubs hands together*

My best guess is that EVA 220 is the same as the 100kg since scale factor of 2.2lbs to 1kg. Foam density is measured in mass per unit volume so you're looking at some pretty hefty stuff there Callianis. Most floormats that folks use float around the 40-45kg rating so you're in for a treat.

If the foam comes in rolls from the supplier, get some plywood or similar large, flat and heavy surfaces to help flatten everything out before using it, these heavy duty foams really like to hold their shape.

I am going into a third ODST suit. From experience with the foam base under parts like you chest core and all is best at 8mm. If you are putting the abuse on it you want is thicker. Now if you want to go a little thinner on the weta suit or anything not to vital near pinch points then go with 6mm. Helmet you want a 8mm. 10 is to thick to me. But you can just play around and see what you like best.

Also i think you need to think about you own proportions. On my example i'm really thin person and for 10mm was just right becouse i looks a bit bigger and if in these case i was using 8mm or even 6mm it's can go wrong and i could start looking tooooooo thin and maybe even girlish

And the same thing on thic body tipe. 8 or 6 mm will be thin and armor Will be looking to small for you but - big boy big armor :D
I am a big guy and I use namely 8mm and I believe it look perfect on me. 10mm is just to bulky in some cases but in what you are saying I find to be quite accurate. so if you are 6'3" and 250+ (not saying the real weight) big and stocky 8mm work. But again all a matter of preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back