Best Method of Cardboard Cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Black Hatter

What tool would be best for making cuts on cardboard. Im trying to make an assault rifle with a sliced file using cardboard and am wondering if a special tool has been found to be better.

Usually i just use a carpet knife or something big like that. So ThinkTank, Give me feedback!

What I am using for cardboard, and have ever since I was 3 or so, is an exacto or razor of some kind. Scissors work for big things, but exacto is the way to go. That's what I swear by. Soon, I'll have pics of an MA-5 I'm constructing out of cardboard.

What I am using for cardboard, and have ever since I was 3 or so, is an exacto or razor of some kind. Scissors work for big things, but exacto is the way to go. That's what I swear by. Soon, I'll have pics of an MA-5 I'm constructing out of cardboard.

Alright, cool. I'd want to see that.

One problem I've found with cutting cardboard (or any other material that has any kind of thickness) is that, depending on how your project should line up, you can get some minor problems if you don't keep your knife perfectly straight up and down. I don't know how to convey this without pictures, so I hope this makes sense...

straight-cut.jpg

This might not be a problem for you, but it caused me some issues when I was trying to use cardboard. Then again, I have problems cutting straight anyway :p

So ive been using a "as seen on tv 'Open It'" Cutting tool and an exacto blade. I'm woring at an incredible pace and will probably be done tonight or tomorrow. (depending on if i decide to keep working today. My hand hurts. DX)

Keep working, but don't over-do it. If I had a penny for every time I'd done something to my hands, I'd be rich. They're so calloused now, though, that I can touch the tip of my hot-glue gun and not be to bothered by it...
Anyway, a razor of some kind, and some scissors, with some practice, will do wonders to cardboard. Just remember to keep wrinkles out of the project! Silly wrinkles.... Good luck! Keep us posted.

For cutting i would use a Craftblade, Artblade, X-acto Knife or what ever its called...
I use something like this:
33498.jpg

Scissors i dont use at all, dont know why i simply work better with a sharp blade.
For the fold lines i use the blade as a kind of pencil, and "draw" the fold lines really really really carefully.

Never thought changing something, and i have build 20+ Papercrafts http://edmcsmoke.deviantart.com/gallery/.

*edit: just saw that card stock and card board arent the same... Sorry for that english isnt my motherlanguage. but it still think that a Blade is more accurate then a scissor.

i use a X-acto Knife for all of it and for long lines i just use a steel ruler to keep it straight but everything else is pritty much free hand, well thats the way i do it :)

Yeah, just find something that works for you. That's the best. Then you can become the master of it, and teach us about it.

Yeah, just find something that works for you. That's the best. Then you can become the master of it, and teach us about it.

Well i found an awesome combo. It worked really well, i just over did it an now my hand is sore today. Nothing a few days wont fix.

I use an "Open It" (basically big thick scissors. I'd cut out a basic perimeter around it. Then go in with a heavy duty exacto blade for the finshed shape. It worked wel and fairly quicky. I've gotten good at using one.

I agree with EdMcSmoke. An exacto knife on a flat surface "drawing like a pencil" the cuts is easier than using scissors to cut out the really small stuff. My friend is making a DMR and he always uses the exacto knife kit he has to cut cardboard.

My fav items to use when cutting cardboard are box cutter, big scissors and exacto blades. Really depends on the size of the item you're cutting and the shape you intend to cut . For corrugated cardboard, it helps to follow the grooves

Personally I dislike the x-acto type of cutter. I use a snap-off knife. I feel I have less control of the blade with the X-acto knife. First of all the x-acto type of knife doesn't feel stable when I cut, it seems to slip and slide sideways when I apply force. Secondly the blade bends. These problems are IMHO all overcome by the snap-off type of knife. It feels sturdy, the blade is short and doesn't bend (with normal use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back