Blood Raven Space Marine Armour Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
CelticSpartan said:
I suspect Judge will be first or one of the other lads!

Having never done any resin/fibreglassing before I suspect the progress to be slow until I get used to it ;)

Does your 'beakie' helm fit inside the neck ring of your chest file? My problem is that the standard marine helmet won't fit due to scaling issues and the beakie isn't much better. If I make the chest any bigger I won't be able to move arms at all haha.

I may give it one more go to see (the beakie I mean).

Cheers!

Fiberglass and bondo is really easy. Youtube has some great tutorials. My only tip would be to mix a small amount, work fast and don't worry too much about perfection or getting dirty or messy. And remember Fiberglass is just for stability and to make the piece ridged. The Bondo is really to smooth it. So you can cover up any imperfections with the bondo.

My Beakie fit perfectly in the neck of Samuray's Chest. BUt I did have problems with the arms. Samuray's files are awesome and nearly perfect for acuracy but GW models aren't built in proportion to a real human so you will have troubles with the arms or the helm in either fitting perfectly.

I would say that the chest acuracy isn't as important as the helm so make the helm fit and look good and modify the chest to fit as you need it. You can always add details to cover up the chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone!

Wow it's been a while since my last update.

No photos this time but work has been progressing. I've run out of fibreglass mat and resin for the moment so it's come to a grinding halt but i've got one complete layer of fibreglass on 90% of the pieces (no arms yet) and I've also got mat on the insides of the shoulders.

It's a messy business!

(I'm also trying to find my way round the new forum!!)

CS.

It's great! I just love Space Marines, but i prefer Black Templars, but your armor is awsome. I can't wait for another pictures.

Hey 405thers but in particular the 40Kers!

Have any of you found or thought of a decent way to reinforce, fibreglass and bondo the completed pepped backpack? I'm leaving it till last as I'm worried I'll screw it up a bit :S

I thought of maybe just filling it with a load of insulating foam but I've had mistakes with that stuff in the past. In fact I've just almost nuked my Blood Raven shoulders thanks to the stuff. They're recoverable...just.

In addition, this is gettin expensive haha. I'm going through a chock load of resin/hardener and fibre matting. Does anyone know if cheaper resin will work just as good for costumes/props? I need to bulk buy the stuff! Either that or I'm getting the quantaties wrong...

Armour Update: Shoulders, chest and belt/crotch 90% done with resin stage. Onto filler next :) I'll be glad when I can say good bye to the messy stage and get stuck into the painting :)

It sure is an expensive hobby ;} i would just resin/fiberglass the backpack really well, theres rly no point in filling it up unless you feel like spending more money :/ and show us pics! Or atleast a link to them ;*(

As for the backpack reinforcement, you can put a coat of resin on the outside, bondo it then drill a few holes in it in a few places to put some expanding foam in it, only put some in one hole at a time until you fill all the drill holes with some foam any over spraying should make the extra foam protrude from either another hole or out of the hole you sprayed it into, once you have it pretty well filled with foam use a little spot putty to cover the holes, sand and paint.

That's looking really good, I wish you went with the Beak helmet, but the normal Aquilla one is still badass!

Thanks guys :)

And thanks for the tip Nintendude. It may take me a while but I'll get there!! I may still go beaky ;)

But if that fails then it'll be helmet off I reckon!!

Hey everyone,

I tried editing my initial post as per usual but for whatever reason it won't let me! So I'm loading the recent pictures here to show you a bit of chest progress.

Here's some shots with one coat of UPol, unsmoothed and a mess!

And a few more after a bit of sanding.

Obviously I need more on it to smooth up the cracks and a bit more sanding before the paint!

Any tips/criticism welcome!

CS.

It looks awsome! I can't wait for more. This is going to be the most accurate Space Marine costume. I really love it.

Looks good. If you are using my backpack file, you may want to sand down the back's box to fit it. The sanding on the rest of the chest is what got me peeved too. I'm still at that point myself.

Aye Judge I'm using your backpack, I'm starting to think maybe adding 15-20mm to the relative dimension would have been a good idea rather than 5-10mm haha. But no worries, i'll sand until it fits snugly;)

There will be more as soon as I buy another tub of UPol!

Lots of sanding to go yet!

(At least this stage isn't as messy as the glassing!!)

Hey everyone!

Here's tonights progress so far :) Having fun ;) Sadly I've got a busy few weeks with work ahead so it may be awhile before the next batch of work!

A few more applications of UPol here and there then I think I'll be mostly satisfied with the smoothness. Still have to glass the lower half of the suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back