Ok for people who are having trouble with sanding and detailing read this guide

you will need:

bondo body filler

6474597.jpg

and sandpaper

sandpaper.jpg

and a dremel if your doing details

dremel-tool-kit.jpg

Now think of your piece as soap,if you accidently drop soap,it will flatten ,so you would get your finger(as apposed to sandpaper)and try to smooth out the flattening,and evetually after awhile the soap will smoothen ,same for your piece you are trying to get out the fold marks(as apposed to the soap)and doing so you will need sandpaper(make sure you bondo your piece in neccecary areas first,bondoing will be explained later),once you have your sandpaper(80-120 grit will do good),you will need to sand not to hard but not to softly on the bondoed areas,and after time it will be come smooth,now TADA!!!. your piece will look smooth(make sure you dont smooth out some details that you put there with bondo though,and dont be ridiculous on were to sand,some areas will need folds to look proper ,dont sand those areas.)

Bondo guide(i know i should of done this before but yeah):After you have resined and fiberglassed your piece(theres heaps of stickys on them)you'll want to bondo for details(using a dremel) or smoothness(see above).So first make sure you have a quart(or more) of bondo body filler (and dremel if you want).Now mix your body filler according to your can, and use a plastic holder thing

(this)to spread it on the areas needed,now if you want indents or other details read on,now that you have your spreader ,spread your bondo on the area until a little bit thick(enough for a dremel to cut into with out cutting the actual piece),now when about 3/4 cured and hard enough to sustain a fingernail denting it,time to get in with a dremel cutting tool.First if your doing indents or anything else that goes in make sure the bondo is thick enough to sustain the cutting(lines should be less thick),now carefully carve into the bondo with your dremel and try to get the details you want(be careful.once you bondo theres no going back)and after your finished.time for sanding(see above,to the first guide).

Well thats how to bondo and sand,for every noob(or newcomer as i would say)so they would stop flooding moderators and the noob forums with questions.

wait sorry mods i posted this topic 2 times for some reason delete this topic or lock it ,theres another one of this on noob forum

mjolnir follower said:
Ok for people who are having trouble with sanding and detailing read this guide

you will need:

bondo body filler

6474597.jpg

and sandpaper

sandpaper.jpg

and a dremel if your doing details

dremel-tool-kit.jpg

Now think of your piece as soap,if you accidently drop soap,it will flatten ,so you would get your finger(as apposed to sandpaper)and try to smooth out the flattening,and evetually after awhile the soap will smoothen ,same for your piece you are trying to get out the fold marks(as apposed to the soap)and doing so you will need sandpaper(make sure you bondo your piece in neccecary areas first,bondoing will be explained later),once you have your sandpaper(80-120 grit will do good),you will need to sand not to hard but not to softly on the bondoed areas,and after time it will be come smooth,now TADA!!!. your piece will look smooth(make sure you dont smooth out some details that you put there with bondo though,and dont be ridiculous on were to sand,some areas will need folds to look proper ,dont sand those areas.)

Bondo guide(i know i should of done this before but yeah):After you have resined and fiberglassed your piece(theres heaps of stickys on them)you'll want to bondo for details(using a dremel) or smoothness(see above).So first make sure you have a quart(or more) of bondo body filler (and dremel if you want).Now mix your body filler according to your can, and use a plastic holder thing

(this)to spread it on the areas needed,now if you want indents or other details read on,now that you have your spreader ,spread your bondo on the area until a little bit thick(enough for a dremel to cut into with out cutting the actual piece),now when about 3/4 cured and hard enough to sustain a fingernail denting it,time to get in with a dremel cutting tool.First if your doing indents or anything else that goes in make sure the bondo is thick enough to sustain the cutting(lines should be less thick),now carefully carve into the bondo with your dremel and try to get the details you want(be careful.once you bondo theres no going back)and after your finished.time for sanding(see above,to the first guide).

Well thats how to bondo and sand,for every noob(or newcomer as i would say)so they would stop flooding moderators and the noob forums with questions.

wow purely a true help.. will be using this in about a weak thnx helps way better than some of the tuts i found

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for my own necro post,but...What do people think of this,Sticky worthy or not.Having a Bondo guide sticky in the noob forum would save heaps of newbies from making mistakes.

I'd say it's a good start, but not worth sticky for 2 reasons.

-No pictures, bondo process is way more complex, you haven't explain that you need to upgrade grids to get it even smoother, you should talk about spot putty as well, speak also about wet sanding and sanding clear coats.

-Too many stickys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back