Bondo's Strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacNiNE

Jr Member
How much of a hit can bondo take without cracking, and doing the same to the paint on top of it? Im going to be using alot of the stuff, on 90% of the helmet to get what i want and would like to know if it goes from durable to fragile. Ive never used it before...

Thanks,
TacNiNE

Another question for whoever answers yours:
How tough is fiberglass resin by itself? It'll crack eventually, I know, but hard would it have to be hit? (no, I'm not making a helmet with only fiberglass resin)

On the Bondo thing though.....that's gonna be heavy. Keep that in mind ;)

1 layer of fiberglass can take I'd say kicks ad punches and dropped several times before any real damage is done, 2 layers can be sat on, hit with a baseball bat and not even take damage, bondo isnt for strength, it's a body filler, meaning it's for smoothening stuff, not giving it muscle.

ok so if i drop my helmet, nothing happens to the bondo? it wont crack or anything? not worried about the helmet just wondering how brittle the bondo gets if it does at all.

Thanks,
TacNiNE

DO NOT resin over the Bondo. There is no reason to do that. Just sand the Bondo. And a dual layer fiberglass helm with Bondo is VERY strong. Mine literally took a beating. My friend almost broke his hand punching it.

Ok,
Ima be working on it tonight so ill get some pics of it up here sometime tomorow, maybe i can have it looking like something...who knows ill let yall decide lol.

TacNiNE

Well if your paintballing and MC steps out of the woodline spraying paint your way wouldnt you freeze for just a sec to figure out who the guy was?
Thats just enuf time to get hit :D

TacNiNE

Well contrary to the belief that bondo is weak is completely false is wrong, Its used to fill gaps in cars, its strong to a certain extent, I would never use it as a full Motorcycle helmet, but a paintball helmet will do just fine, since Bondo is strong enough to handle a small projectile made of Sugar and paint :p

quick question, how strong would a full suit be with 3-4 layers of fiberglass cloth (two inside, two outside) as well as bondo for detail.

And also, if fiber-glass cloth is as strong as steel but light as plastic, that's amazing, I never thought it was that way, I always thought it would have the strength equivalent to a plastic prop from a store or something that breaks easily anyways.

PillowFire said:
quick question, how strong would a full suit be with 3-4 layers of fiberglass cloth (two inside, two outside) as well as bondo for detail.

And also, if fiber-glass cloth is as strong as steel but light as plastic, that's amazing, I never thought it was that way, I always thought it would have the strength equivalent to a plastic prop from a store or something that breaks easily anyways.
dont mean to but in, but I would like to know that too

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not want to put Alot of bondo on the outside, nor do you want to put any Fiberglass on the outside, since you will lose all detail, Bondo was meant to be covered with lightly, then sanded till smooth, not covered so much that the entire surface is covered.

PillowFire said:

Dont fiberglass the outside, people screw up and then find out it isnt smooth, bondo over it would work, but I dont think you need 4 layers of glass, 2 is the max of what most people do and it works fine. The only reason I will be using 3 for my helmet is because I will be molding it, and painting it, then selling it as the original helmet on ebay, then with plastic molds I can mass make them and make a few quick bucks every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back