Bonno Car Resin And Fiber Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeagle

Hay every on i just found out that my lungs arn't good with the smell of any of the stuff even with a respitorator (wrong spelling) on so does any one have some substitutes for them that are just as good please i realy want to make some halo props i been waiting a year to get an acount and when i did i was told that stuff will give me serve asma attacks :mad: :mad:

The thing is if your respirator has a good seal or is the right kind, you shouldnt be able to smell anything from the resin at all. Even if your drowning in the stuff. You should check to see if your respirators cartriges are rated for the resin. Where did you buy it, i got mine at grangers and it filters all organic vapors and particles.

so basically if i buy the best it won't affect me. Ty But can some more people help i want to be certan about this i don't want to go to the hospital just because i opened a bottel of resin

Buy the *right* one, it doesnt look like what a dentist or doctor wears, it has one or two cartridges on the front or sides (respectively) of the mouth piece,

like: http://www.tigerfoam.com/images/inventory/.../Resperator.jpg

You also must make sure it is rated for organic vapors.

with one of those I was able to work in a enclosed garage with no ventlation doing spraypaint and resining and bondoing for hours at a time with no ill effects and I couldn't smell any of it.

What kind of respirator are you using? Is it rated for volatile organic compounds (VOCs). If you're using a respirator that's designed to stop dust, it may be letting in resin fumes.

thanks guys i am apprecationg all this help i will go and buy a new one soon but i just want to be really carfall i went in to hospital last mounth cause i could breath so i got a be carful

Spend some money on a good respirator. The basic rule of thumb with respirators is that if you can smell the resin or bondo through the respirator, then you're using the wrong one.

I have 2 myself, This one:

allergybegone_2056_219210753.jpg

which is a paint respirator rated for particulates and organic vapor (paint fumes), and this one:

allergybegone_2056_222013073.jpg

which I bought organic vapor/acid gas/particulate matter cartridges for for working with ferrochloric acid (metal etching). Both work extremely well with resin and bondo, I get a better seal with the full face but the half face should work fine for you if you get your sizing right.

The half face comes with the organic vapor cartridges and runs for $33.89 at Allergybegone.com.

The full face respirator comes by itself, you'll have to buy cartridges for it (about an extra $20 for organic/acid gas ones) but it runs for about $225.00 at Allergybegone.com. The cartridges you can pick up here.

Allergybegone.com also has some crazier cartridges that you can pick up too. I'll eventually have to pick up a pair of Ammonia/Methylamine cartridges and a pair of Mercury Vapor/Chlorine cartridges for myself so that I can do ammonia-salt patinas and mercury gilding.

BFDesigns said:
Spend some money on a good respirator. The basic rule of thumb with respirators is that if you can smell the resin or bondo through the respirator, then you're using the wrong one.

allergybegone_2056_219210753.jpg

which is a paint respirator rated for particulates and organic vapor (paint fumes)

The half face comes with the organic vapor cartridges and runs for $33.89 at Allergybegone.com.
If you're near a Home Depot or Lowes, you can pick up this type (I use this also) for about $30+tax. My wife has nose that's on par with a blood hound, and she couldn't smell a thing wearing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is here in Austrialia we don't have wal mart quick what ever we have nothing compard to what y americans have. Would like tool stores stock them????????

Classified said:
The thing is here in Austrialia we don't have wal mart quick what ever we have nothing compard to what y americans have. Would like tool stores stock them????????
Try getting in touch with P0rtalman. He lives down that way and can probably give you some help with finding appropriate safety equipment. Safety is nothing to skimp on.

ty mate, does bunnings sell bono Car resin and Fiber glass the very small amout i have used was my friends and haven't seen him in ages

Classified said:
ty mate, does bunnings sell bono Car resin and Fiber glass the very small amout i have used was my friends and haven't seen him in ages

I'm in Australia.

OK what you need to do is go down to Bunnings and buy a "Protector Safety" dual cartridge mask and the yellow (vapour/dust/paint) cartridges. They come in packs of two for around $20 for the filters, don't ask me how much for the mask as it was given to me as a gift, I did however see the exact same ones down there. I use them and don't smell a thing.

Bunnings also stock Digger brand resin, catalyst and fibreglass mat or cloth. Rough prices: Resin 1kg $20, Hardener/catalyst $5, 1sqm of cloth or mat is about $20 each. Remember this is roughly (me working off my shonky memory).

I went in there the other day and bought a pack of 26 or something brushes for $6 on special and also got some undercoat, silver and master chief green (or what I think is close enough) some metal spray paint called Rivergum by White Knight.

My advice is to also get a pair of goggles. I seem to get very irritated eyes when I work with fibreglass. I use a pair of goggles issued by the fire service for fighting bushfires but they don't work so well. I know it sounds daft but I'm going to use swimming goggles next time.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back