Br55Hb Sr Airsoft Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

z4xx0r

I haven't made any progress on my armor, mostly because I can't afford cardstock, fiberglass and resin right now, but metal, wood, and plastic is supplied to me in my manufacturing class to construct my own projects. A few friends I have like to play airsoft, but I have no rifle of my own. Thus, I've decided to build my own airsoft Battle Rifle.

The rifle will be mostly CNC milled aluminum, as it is sturdy, lightweight, easy enough to work with, and I have ample experience with the metal. I have already figured out how to fire in 3-round bursts, adjustable for single-round shots as well (I may be able to figure out a full-auto mode). The clips could easily be manufactured to carry at least 60 rounds, but I may only load 36 rounds occasionally for realism. The electronic counter could be made by myself after a bit of research and tinkering. The bolt may be able to be built to remain stationary until the clip is removed, then slide back as a new clip is inserted, in-game style. I'm undecided as to whether I should include a scope or not; I can manufacture one that would look realistic but may not focus well, or I can purchase one which may look inaccurate but perform well. I'm not sure what purpose the tube below the barrel serves, but I may use it as an enclosure for a flashlight or laser sight. I'm also not sure what the dial above the counter is for, but I may use it to adjust hop-up. Finally, the rifle will be built "backwards," as I shoot left-handed/eyed.

I can begin designing the parts for use with a CNC mill/lathe as soon as I know the dimensions. However, I can't verify the overall length (or any other dimensions) of the BR55HB SR. If I can find the overall length, I can find the other dimensions fairly easily. Halopedia lists that the Halo 3 BR is 89.9 cm (35.4 in) long, but I can't verify this by myself. Halopedia cites the M90A Shotgun at 123.9 cm long, and an in-game side-by-side comparison makes it appear as if the Battle Rifle is about 2 cm longer than the Shotgun, placing it at about 126 cm (49.6 in) but that seems too long, and also ruins any credibility of Halopedia's dimensions.

Also, I plan to operate this airsoft rifle (or 6mm ball dispenser as called in school :p) using 1000 mL Green Gas canisters. I cannot find the dimensions for these canisters anywhere, and am hoping one liter will fit in the grip under the barrel (sorry, don't know the technical name). I'm not even sure if the dimensions of those canisters are standardized or what fittings they use.

Any information and thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

First: it's a MAG not a clip, and a gun that takes mags in the back is called a "bullpup rifle". Also, I suggest not building a GBBR(Gas BlowBack rifle, although yours might not be a blowback model, but green gas is usually ascotiated with GBBs) and building an AEG, or an automatic electric gun. But don't do this unless you understand how to take apart, disassemble and reassemble a gearbox. Also this will be expensive, and probably won't work, unless you have been a technician for airsoft for a long enough time to know your way through a GBBR and a AEG. You also don't mention ANYTHING about the hop up or gearbox, and don't show you really understand how green gas operated rifles work. Sorry to destroy your hopes, but you need to be just about an internal airsoft genius to pull this off. Also, this would probably be expensive. Now, if you want to MOD a pre-existing airsoft gun, that's a different story and would be not as hard.

Off topic:

Make sure you wear good eye protection: like a paintball mask, ESS, Revision, or Arena Flakjak googles, and don't play in public or where like private property unless you are given permission by the owner to play there, and the police/ locals know you are playing so no one calls the cop saying kids(which I'm guessing you are under 18) are playing with guns. Go to a legitimate field in your area, and play with people who know the rules and don't cheat. If you need help creating a loadout for airsoft, message me.

I'll do some more research on non-blowback rifles, and I apologize for using "clip" incorrectly. I have made mention of hop-up, and I haven't stated every detail of the design in my mind. Rest assured, I will not build and use anything until I am certain it is built correctly and well.

For those who demand "PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN," nothing has happened yet. This is no build thread, rather an information gathering thread. As soon as I know dimensions, I will design the internal mechanisms first and post screenshots of the designs in an official build thread.

***EDIT***

So I guess I'll use 89.9 cm as the length for the Battle Rifle. Several websites state this, but none are reputable such as Bungie's site.

Wow, I think you really got this thing going, if you can make a halo BR airsoft gun from scratch, I wonder what else you can do... :eek nice job. and yeah, you don't need pics, cause it didn't happen, (yet...) :p

mc hammer time said:
[attachment=13832:pics-or-it-didnt-happen.jpeg]

not even funny maybe other pll arnt like that its all about RESPECT my friend. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
No more "Pics or it didn't happen" posts, there are legitimate questions being asked so lets try to keep on topic, okay?

To the OP, I don't have the Encyclopedia handy so I can't grab those BR measurements but if it means anything my model is scaled to about 900mm (or 35.5in). From memory I built that off the scaled MR Battle Rifle.

i actually like this idea, but i suggest NOT cncing the barrel due to the fact that it is eisier to purchace a high-grade tightbore brass barrel, and it causes less jams.

Looks like I'll be building an electric system instead; the local league utilizes AEGs so I can get nearby support if I ever need help with my system. The magazine is almost done being drawn up in Mastercam, so I'll post some screenshots when I come back home tomorrow.

As for the electric part of my electric gun, I'd love to use a solenoid rather than the traditional gearbox/spring systems but I don't think a solenoid has the speed to propel a .25 gram BB to speeds of 300 fps.

I don't have access to a CNC machine that could make a barrel, unless that barrel consisted of two pieces. I plan on using something similar to Gingersnapples' suggestion.

Now if I can create a durable set of armor... and the league allows me to use it... I'll be the talk of the town!

***EDIT***

Attached an image of the magazine. The internal shape isn't quite the same as in-game, but it's optimized for light weight and capacity without having to use a machanism similar to a high-capacity magazine... But I may make a high-cap mag if I find it isn't that difficult. The length of the magazine is 5.5", and the height is 5.88". I plan to use a four-piece manufacturing process, making two pieces for the halves of the bottom visible part of the magazine, and two halves for the channels.

***SECOND EDIT TO PREVENT DOUBLE-POSTING***

Updated the attached image of the magazine. Includes a right-side view and a front view. The ball and coupler above the right side view are how I intend to secure the magazine in place while maintaning mechanical simplicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back