Brainstorming: How to get a weapon to strap on to your back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPRTNBD50

So, the other I got to thinking, "How can I keep a Primary/Secondary weapon at the back?"?
So, I need you'll help. My friend gave me an idea and that was to create a pocket/pouch at the back. My Spartan will be carrying a DMR and Magnum. Magnum, I'm gonna magnetize it to my thigh piece for quick wielding. My only problem is the DMR!! So lets brainstorm!

Post your ideas that would most likely help. Pics would help too :)

Id say magnets would work great, no visible straps or velco. Weight may be a concern but depending on what material you make the dmr out of, pep'd, vac formed, or wood, you should be able to find magnets strong enough to hold it. Check out your local surplus store, they usually have some powerful magnets, The princess auto near me has some that can hold 150 lbs.

There is one issue with using magnets, and that's sheering force. When you put two strong magnets together, the easiest way to get them apart is to slide them off each other. With a weapon mounted on the armor with magnets, 99% of the force applied to the weapon will be shear force.

If you can find magnets strong enough, it will probably work. Just don't go jumping around with a weapon on the back.

i saw someone who was doing an odst, they were able to hand a huge monkey wrench of the back with only 10 really strong really small magnets, and it would be easy to relocate the weapon and remove it. do not under estimate magnets

easy, cut a slit in the back, and put a metal hook onto the left side of your gun (so that it is facing your body if you are right handed) and then just hook it in that way.
Us Mando's do it all the time with our jet packs

I'm going to have magnets in my thigh and back and I'll be glueing it bits and pieces of steel that I've cut up on the inside of my weapons. I'll be cutting the bits if metal out of a plate of steel I had left over from another project I did a long time ago.

Well, the magnets my friend was really strong, in fact, you'll Sh*T Brix when you see it. They are button sized. Though quite pricey, a pack of 8 for RM26(about $9) but when desperate....gotta get em. My only worry is that it might not be strong enough to hold a DMR. I'll start a small quick topic here. Can I Resin sliced weapon rather than Bondo?. I'm sure resin tends to make it lighter.

Magnets in the armor, metal plates in the weapon. I'm not sure how hard or easy it would be to take it off, I'm still in the peping/resin stages of my armor.

I see, I see....well, if thats the case, how do I pull the DMR of my back :p

Well, use electromagnets :)
If you include some kind of switching mechanism, you can turn off the magnets when you want to take the weapon, and it will literally fall into your hand. The downsides are, as usual, money, and to some extent also weight, because you will need quite a bit of energy to do this. The same restrictions as with normal magnets also apply (distance, shearing forces, etc.).

*facepalm* Genius!! Why didn't I think of that!! Still, hardware is quite affordable here mostly because there are tons of Hardware Shops(Excluding Popular ones) and they sell for quite a cheap price. But like I mentioned, Hardware! Electronics come at a slightly higher price but to this country, I would say affordable but you got to hunt for them :(

Well, use electromagnets :)
If you include some kind of switching mechanism, you can turn off the magnets when you want to take the weapon, and it will literally fall into your hand. The downsides are, as usual, money, and to some extent also weight, because you will need quite a bit of energy to do this. The same restrictions as with normal magnets also apply (distance, shearing forces, etc.).

Ventrue! Your a genius! Electromagnets! Exclamation marks!
Haha.

Also, you could use the trigger as the switch to the electromagnets. Trigger not pressed, electromagnet on. Press trigger, disconnect circuit, take/fall off back.

Could this be viable as a solution? Or would placement of weapon and trigger/where your arm can reach to be aproblem?

Ventrue! Your a genius! Electromagnets! Exclamation marks!
Haha.

Also, you could use the trigger as the switch to the electromagnets. Trigger not pressed, electromagnet on. Press trigger, disconnect circuit, take/fall off back.

Could this be viable as a solution? Or would placement of weapon and trigger/where your arm can reach to be aproblem?

So the electromagnet would be in the DMR.....would work, so most probably, the back of my torso piece would be Metal. I might do that, my only problem is, my weapons are gonna be sliced cardboard cover with resin. Though, the idea of making the Trigger the switch, i would say, is more convenient because it will look more realistic :)

Though, I'm just gonna say if my budget is low, I'm gonna do a mix of ideas! 1 magnet at the front and another at the back of the DMR and some thoughts from CJsuner which is to use slits. Though, I might go with your idea, just need a way to hide all electronics :p
Thanks for all the ideas! Does anyone have any good tuts on Electromagnets and how to make/use em?

*facepalm* Genius!! Why didn't I think of that!! Still, hardware is quite affordable here mostly because there are tons of Hardware Shops(Excluding Popular ones) and they sell for quite a cheap price. But like I mentioned, Hardware! Electronics come at a slightly higher price but to this country, I would say affordable but you got to hunt for them :(

Well, if you can't find electronics cheaper than us, I don't know. I think about 90% of the electronics in my parts box is from Asia :)

I'm not sure actually... are you guys making fun of me? Using electromagnets is rather a problem than a solution :-D

So the electromagnet would be in the DMR.....

No, there won't be enough space in a weapon model, you'll have to put the magnets into the chest piece of your armour. Along with the batteries, which are going to be HUGE.

For example: The electromagnets I have here need 12 V and have a power of 3.8 W. They're supposed to hold 100 N (that's about 10 kg with Earth gravity), but with even a tiny amount of material in between it's going to be a lot less. But you'll need at least two to prevent the rifle from twisting anyways. Lets say these two are enough to hold the rifle, that means 310 mA per magnet, 620 mA total. For 12 V, you'll need 10 NiMH cells, not sure if there's room for size D, so lets take size C instead. These things weigh maybe 60 or 70 g each and have a charge of around 4000 mAh, which would give you a total additional weight of close to one kg to carry around and a runtime of maybe five hours. After that, the rifle will just fall off, unless you have a backup system in place to hold or catch it (which in turn would make the whole magnet thing obsolete). I'm not really sure though if NiMH cells can actually deliver that current, I think the limit is about half an Ampere.
You should also keep in mind that you might end up carrying one hell of a magnetic field around with you. These things can also get HOT (like "you'll burn your fingers" hot!), so you'll probably have to either think of a really good way to cool them, or use completely oversized ones at a fraction of their potential (needless to say, that would mean a further increase in weight and price).

Putting the magnet into the armour piece will also require the switch to be there, which makes things a little complicated. I haven't really thought about that yet. Magnetic switches (reed switches, hall-sensors) are probably not the best choice, because there's going to be interference from the magnets.

Electromagnets don't require a tutorial. Just hook them up to the right voltage and you're done. Polarisation is irrelevant, unless you need the field to go a specific way, which is not the case if you just want to grab onto a metal plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back