Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

VIPER IS IN IT'S HANGAR!!! Thanks to my mates Alex , David, Garry, Joe and Patrick, for the muscle!

Now is to the opportunity to remove the rotting plywood from the landing gear and replace it with steel cladding, while also installing axles at the base of each foot for built in wheels. Can't wait!

There are some repairs to do to the polystyrene, which has been damaged in the constant moving over the last year or two, but this is minor. I will reinforce, solidify, seal and fix gaps, get the canopy frame welded up and polycarbonate windshields cut and fitted. The electrics in the cockpit need tidying up and fixing. Sound systems for the engines can now be brought in and experimented with, then fitted. Wings still to be framed and fitted, followed by the cannons, complete with 15 rounds of 30mm link each wing.

Avionics and engine access panels will be back in tomorrow and the whole ship given a clean, de-cobweb and remove a couple of wasp nests.

Full build on Builds by Baz

Cheers!

Baz.

bnldZut.jpg

zdWln5u.jpg

Zkbu1kj.jpg

WKzxLww.jpg

sLPdqxh.jpg

otXfR7U.jpg

3esrX84.jpg

yJ9gA0o.jpg

JFwDe2k.jpg

fVbEdrp.jpg

hbGrjnl.jpg

Now that the Viper is happily protected in it's new hangar, it's time to clean up, realign the modules, get the wheel carts out from under it and give it all a good once over.

There's quite a bit of warping from being left in the weather. The tarpaulins only did so much and it's very good they were there. Most of it is fine, but pretty dirty. Cobwebs, dirt, dust and wasp nests inside the cockpit. The plywood cladding on the legs is totally destroyed by the weather, peeling and rotting. Easily fixed and I was going to change them for steel cladding anyway. If anything, the rotting wood is easier to remove now.

It was tricky levering the weight of the viper up high enough to remove the trolleys, but I got it down nice and gentle.

The electrics seem mostly intact and after a quick start-up, all works well except for a couple of twitchy lights which are easy enough to rectify.

I've given the cockpit a thorough brush, vacuum and wash down and it's looking good. Time to start building!

Baz.

XuAe1Hh.jpg

Jhdm3IR.jpg

v170Y5Q.jpg

hsHXfga.jpg

US53etP.jpg

lgCSyQq.jpg

Had a bit of fun up the ladder with the wide-angle lens.

The hangar work continues, with dividing walls, electricity, 10A, 15A and 3 phase circuits, natural gas heating, insulation, machinery and ongoing tool/floor-space optimisation, mezanine storage on the other side of the dividing wall and more.

QTCgBLY.jpg

hfqEbJB.jpg

s9lfSVt.jpg

Just a few more $$$ and I will get to work on the Viper again.

BOOYAAAAHHHH!! FRAK YEAH! Finally back to the Viper build!

My other major projects are all but done, so it's time to get stuck into it.

Last night I started by pulling all the plywood cladding off the landing gear and started to replace it with steel. I am also fitting concealed axle mounts in the skids, so I can put temporary wheels on each one, for moving the ship when needed.

As I go, I am repairing all the damaged polystyrene, caused by moving it around the property. I've already spent some time realigning modules that have shifted, so the fit is flush.

When I can, I will look at getting the canopy along to an aluminium welding service to get it solidified, positioning brackets removed, then get some polycarbonate windows fitted into it.

The turbines, front and rear need to be tuned and joined with through- driveshafts, then belted to a clutched, central drive motor. I've pulled out the front turbine fans to get a clear look through the nacelle and plan it out.

I repaired the wiring of some of the cockpit instruments last night. The sound system needs more work.

The wing frames need to be welded together, fitted then skinned, then fit the cannons.

Plans for an 8 metre low-rider trailer are in the works, with fold down sides and removable roof, for weatherproofing, security and transport to shows.

Lots to do.

Baz.

UJUWKyv.jpg

ay7FMnp.jpg

Mp4Tszt.jpg

L2abOre.jpg

3XvcUsH.jpg

JeslkZq.jpg

UudeR3Q.jpg

JcSSSl8.jpg

wqhnSWh.jpg

56FqUA5.jpg

Some stolen time last week, gave me a chance to get a little work done on the front landing gear. I replaced the plywood base plate on the bottom with 10mm thick plate steel, welded solid to the foot and leg. Also added some extra bracing at the top for lateral movement. I plasma-cut the holes in the side panels of the landing strut, then framed them with strips of sheet-metal, welded in.

It needs a quick clean-up with a flap disk, but I must say, even without paint it looks much better. It will certainly last a lot longer than that horrible plywood.

2PJoW82.jpg

Dc1k3Eo.jpg

8Jgrhke.jpg

cVAiNsC.jpg

VOdQUxN.jpg

2021 has started out hectic, with no leave left as I've used it all up for health reasons, so a very short shut-down at work over Christmas then straight back into it. I've been teaching a lot of knifemaking and blacksmithing courses, including groups of teenagers which really tests me as an instructor, but also grows me as an artisan.

At home, I've been coming home so tired, but still try to get a little bit done at night.

An old army mate dropped in a motorcycle helmet for me to pull apart and use the inner lining for the Viper pilot helmet. After a few mods, it fit in quite well and feels snug and comfortable enough to stay on my head if I was pulling some G's. I may even pull out the old perspex visor I made and re-shape the motorcycle helmet visor to fit. It's thickness and surface are a lot more consistent than the one I moulded with a heat gun. I think I'll put in a de-fogging fan too. I have one in the Iron Man helmet and it is very effective.

dLKDx0K.jpg

vmh3vTa.jpg

kwmjvjN.jpg

QEtaS6O.jpg

Continuing with the landing gear, the top pivot pin and surround made of plywood is now in the bin, with sheetmetal cladding replacing it. Not only does it look better, but it will last forever. I ran out of welding gas, so the top bit is just nasty spot-welded in position for now until I can afford more gas to finish it.

NzTN84C.jpg

uVZXX0Z.jpg

yHAdcPs.jpg

uBD8WxP.jpg

o2kLNxf.jpg

2021 has started out hectic, with no leave left as I've used it all up for health reasons, so a very short shut-down at work over Christmas then straight back into it. I've been teaching a lot of knifemaking and blacksmithing courses, including groups of teenagers which really tests me as an instructor, but also grows me as an artisan.

At home, I've been coming home so tired, but still try to get a little bit done at night.

An old army mate dropped in a motorcycle helmet for me to pull apart and use the inner lining for the Viper pilot helmet. After a few mods, it fit in quite well and feels snug and comfortable enough to stay on my head if I was pulling some G's. I may even pull out the old perspex visor I made and re-shape the motorcycle helmet visor to fit. It's thickness and surface are a lot more consistent than the one I moulded with a heat gun. I think I'll put in a de-fogging fan too. I have one in the Iron Man helmet and it is very effective.

View attachment 301355

View attachment 301356

View attachment 301357

View attachment 301358

Continuing with the landing gear, the top pivot pin and surround made of plywood is now in the bin, with sheetmetal cladding replacing it. Not only does it look better, but it will last forever. I ran out of welding gas, so the top bit is just nasty spot-welded in position for now until I can afford more gas to finish it.

View attachment 301359

View attachment 301360

View attachment 301361

View attachment 301362

View attachment 301363
Mate, you just got linked on the RFP Facebook. I redirected them here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back