Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

The last two nights have been spent on a couple of small details on the port side cannon and skinning the wing.

My interpretation of the safety/arm selector and tag out of the cannon is a little variation on the box used for the show, but I found out after I had made it. Thus, I think I will leave the heavy duty Baz solution on the port gun and go for the screen accurate safety on the starboard gun later. Why the heck not indeed?

My version actually works and has a spring-loaded slide catch that locks in the disarm position with the positioning of the safety lanyard. There is a resounding, "CLACK!" when you release it, ready for combat.

KdzwuD8.jpg

There's a gizmo under the wing that looks like it serves no function either than to look col and add a bit of texture to the end of the wing and gun mount. Made it out of a few layers of MDF glued and screwed together. Paint and screw on.

lhDwnqP.jpg

83Ptlvx.jpg

The wing has now been press-fit with polystyrene. Soon I will use expanding foam adhesive glue to fit a second layer over the top, building thickness and locking it all in solid so I can sand and shape it.

UnVtynj.jpg

Made the news today. It's been crazy ever since. Two media photographers today and invitations to shows.

Made the news today. It's been crazy ever since. Two media photographers today and invitations to shows.

Well deserved sir, this whole world should know about this project.

02 Feb 2022

Lock-down in Canberra 2021 saw me getting very busy in the forge, madly trying to survive with a bit of extra cash to make it through the tough times, as well as home schooling my kids. Since then, I just haven’t been able to get back into the swing of things, much less work on the Viper.

Finally, last week I got off my arse and installed a retro-fit radio into the cockpit. The instrument is broken and all the internals are burnt out, but my friend Matt is an aviator and volunteered his kindness to slip in an Arduino-controlled LCD screen with a chosen frequency displayed. (Can you guess what the numbers come from?)

A couple of nights ago I got another mate of mine, James, (of Iron Man electronics fame) to come and tinker some more with the electrics, making it safer and neater than my red wire-black wire skills.

Each night, it is my intention to wire a 12v micro LED into each instrument, to light the faces.

it1kk8b.jpg

QrQEzk6.jpg

MM4BBFk.jpg

CpvSRlQ.jpg

KQb3ymy.jpg

bRKe7Ti.jpg

Not sure how Australian law goes, but in Utah if you put an engine in there with wheels, brake lights, turn signals, a flashlight or two in front for headlights, and bribe the DMV with a fee for registration (you need a license plate / temp tag), you could legally drive that down the road.

Not sure how Australian law goes, but in Utah if you put an engine in there with wheels, brake lights, turn signals, a flashlight or two in front for headlights, and bribe the DMV with a fee for registration (you need a license plate / temp tag), you could legally drive that down the road.
I would pay money to see something like this driving (legally) down the street :-D

Busy busy. Work, kids, gold prospecting, astronomy in the dome, knife making, Viper building, it never ends. COVID has hit our family twice now, so I'm currently in ISO again for the next 7 days.

I got the Viper weighed using vehicle scales borrowed from a local racing club. Total 752kg, but likely to reach the ton by the time I've skinned it, put the other wing and gun on, plus a few layers of paint and some extra mechanical accessories.

fzGjMge.jpg

ecf4iyp.jpg

Now I can get to work. I built some vehicle dollys out of 14mm thick leaf spring stiffeners. Each trolley is rated to 800kg+ and has been tested, so well over engineered. Now I can move it around in the workshop and with the addition of some securing stirrups over the foot, I can winch it up the ramp of the trailer, currently in the design phase.

nlvhXY4.jpg

paPdUIy.jpg

I've made a quick cardboard concept. It may go to three axles and they may or may not have to be positioned further rearward, but that's for the engineers to decide. The roof comes off in overlapping sections, the sides fold down to become platforms. Stabilisers wind down in the corners, bollards and stairs pop into holes and recesses, plus a ladder over the wing to enter the cockpit. There's a lot going on.

lrFAGty.jpg

D5MWngn.jpg

MJLrFsN.jpg

Finally, I got some hardware to test for the reaction control systems (RCS). 8 ports forward and 8 ports rear, from an on board air compressor mounted inside the nose, to be controlled via Arduino, connected to the joystick in the cockpit. These will fire each RCS port individually, picking up a bit of water from a reservoir via a siphon between the solenoid valve and the port.

6t6onEW.jpg

Love the RCS idea, man. That's super genius. As always, this thread leaves me in awe. Great job!
Thanks bloke. :)

I changed some of the press stud arrangements on the flak vest, so that the bottom straps can unclip and feed through the front belt loops on the flight suit. Colours of the studs are off, I know, but it's hard to get the right ones here. I'll paint them later.

udRGCV7.jpg

53QQboc.jpg

I love the idea of a fold out display trailer. If you got some 12 volt automotive linear actuators you could make the entire trailer unfold with a push of a button.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back