Butternugs War Machine Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butternugs

I started building a war machine suit about a month ago, after i got 1 helm pepped, resined, and partially bondo'd i wasnt happy with my results so i threw it on the ground to insure that i wouldnt spend countless more hours trying to fix it lol. Im currently in the process of pepping another helm. Its actually an iron man helm that im going to paint war machine colors. I thought the IM helm would be a easier to put together also with it built in 3 seperate sections and resined as 1 it would set me up for moving faceplate. I have the advantage of a close friend with a garage and a giant mill and an assortment of wonderful tools. For all the new people there are a few absolute truths i have learned when building pepped armor.

1. Take your time cutting, scoring. 1mm off can turn into a 1/4 inch down the road

2. A roto zip is no substitute for a dremel. It spins at too high of an rpm and will eat throgh bondo instead of sanding it down.

3. Resin more than once.

Well i hope this was some help to someone, time to get back to work

JUICE said:
Sorry it didn't go butter for you. :D Hopefully the next one will be better.

Thanx juice thats your helm design but im sure your aware of it, sorry i had to butcher it lol. I've realized that for a beginner such as myself, you have to go with the mentality of making 1-5 helms before your satisfied, your work is amazing btw, but im sure you knew that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks but that helmet design was crap. I was going to take down the link, but just left it there in case someone did want it. I've been working on a new one. Sharkhead has released one and rundown may release one in the future. Good luck on your next one.

I thought War Machine's helm was an normal IronMan helm. it turns out it isn't? What are the differences?

what are some of the differences? I'll eventually be doing something as big as War Machine when I get better at this whole pepakura thing.

Here are pics of my new pepped helm. The chin features i kinda screwed up a bit, hoping that bondo will fix the problem. I know alot of people have made this helm design, if they can help me out with any pointers i would appreciate it. Im using scotch tape on the inside to secure the chin to the rest of the helmet, and thats what im planning to do for the face plate to the helm for resining. I still feel like im going to screw it up. It all starts with the pepping which i would say is above average at best. The biggest problem i think i'll have is the helm won't fit. The 2 pepped structual braces are serving there purpose but i think im going to have to add a couple more before the resin to ensure a good fit. Also I didnt scale it all, printed out as is, which i found is usually the case with helms, but my head is frickin huge lol. Anyways heres the pics tell me what you think.

here's a tip, PUT a bracer on that L curve where the helm and face plate meet (at the temple), if that puppy warps during resining, You'll NEVER get a good fit. I've been fighting that for the last month on mine from this file.

Also, try putting playing cards between the face plate and helm, will ensure your parts won't resin into one mass, else you might have to cut it apart.

UPDATE:

Finished pepping and resining left thing piece, im really starting to think im just horrible with this stuff, but i manned up and went out and bought a dremil. Fiberglass and bondo tomorrow. And i had to scrap the helmet above. Those of you that have made that model know that its actually like 4 pieces. The back neck part didnt line up with the rest and needless to say, im pretty sure i have to start over. $#!Ts weak, this will be my 4th helm :(

Derf Xephon said:
That looks pretty good, you don't think you can just try and re-pep the two back pieces and keep what you have there?

all options are being considered

Keep at it, just remember that you are not "failing"... you're just having multiple "learning experiences"!! haha that's how I look at it. I now know three ways how to NOT make an Ironman helmet due to my learning experience!

Butternugs said:
all options are being considered

Yeah, I know what you're going through man. I had to scrap my war machine helmet too and now my iron man helmet is just a tad too small, but I'd rather try and shave my head to get the precious extra half inch of space maybe as opposed to starting all over. Good luck to you and I hope you can salvage at least some of it.

The cards add a nice "artistic" touch ;)

And don't give up! I'm still stuck on the sizing steps- nothing I pep ever fits me! You will get it eventually :D

Yeah man don't give up on it. I think the same way as carlino. You now know what not to do. Shake it off and move on to the next one, or two,lol! You will get better with time. I just started on my iron man helmet,( provided by dung beetle) three days ago and have already learned a ton. Hang in there!

Don't give up mate your doing fine as it looks awesome! Your further than me i have only done the helm 8( and it might be warped so if anyone has any views on it or tips to correct it let me know.

Heres my helmet and what it looks like on me. If anyone knows where to find codes for the pepakura designer so i can alter it please let me know and i beg for help on the scaling as it's driving me nuts trying to work it out. Sorry for all the noobish questions guys! 8P Btw all praise to Dungbeetle and Juice whose pep files i'm using, you guys rule!

glad too see forums are back up and running, i have a buddy helping me with the tech. part of the suit. He ripped apart a dvd player or vcr, cant remember, but he found this nice part i hope to fabricate an arc reactor out of. Helm #4 should be done by the end of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back