Calgary Expo 2023 Booth Planning

Viper 466

BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S026
I wanted to get this thing posted up so we can all rally here and begin the planning phase of the good stuff.

We had a good VC last night about everything and have a minor division of labor for things to assemble or work on for the coming year. We split it up into a bare minimum for the booth walls and floor, the more intermediate projects folks are working on or offered to spear head, and then something larger if we have time/resources. I asked Fangs about booth size and was informed Expo hasn't given us a floor plan so I think we can assume a minimum double wide booth to play it safe. 20 Feet wide by 10 Feet deep.

Estimated floor plan in feet
MIN 20' x 10'
MAX 40' x 10' (?)

Down below we can coordinate some build days and crafting times, as well as the who what and where.
We will also have to sort out build space, storage, and transport for everything so modularity is king of the ring.

Basics - NEEDED
Crows Nest recreation from Outpost - Wall Height(?)
Textured Floor Matts (something we can roll up?)
Table skirt or shroud for an 8 foot long table

Intermediate filler
Mobile Armoury Crate - Meg + Madison + Profugobarbatus
Armor Display Case - James + Bryan
Reach MG Turret - Phil

Current plan to recreate smaller scale of this set up a photo area.

1664474479376.png

If I forgot anything please feel free to post it here and I can amend this main post.
POST VC DISCUSSION: Potential filler items (props, partial armor parts etc. will need to make a list.)

VOLUNTEER SIGN UP SHEET

Last edited:
I got very basic t shape armour rack that can wear my marine armor and helmet when I'm not geared up and a in garrison uniform. I can also throw together a weapon rack.

I got very basic t shape armour rack that can wear my marine armor and helmet when I'm not geared up and a in garrison uniform. I can also throw together a weapon rack.
Electraknite offered to spearhead a Halo 3/Reach style mobile armoury crate. I asked if she would like some help from you, and James, she also mentioned that Profugobarbatus would be up to help. If we can focus on 1 for sure, we should do that. We should have other items to bring. if we end up with 2 I won't say no unless we get cut down to a smaller space and we end up having to juggle stuff.

Last edited:
I got a super fancy concept for a photo op area inspired by the one at HOD and some of the theater sets I helped build in highschool. The idea is making the sidewalls removable via door hinges so it can be adjusted to whatever size booth we get. Do the door as a 3d object along with door controls and other little detail bits and bobs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_164438647.jpg
    IMG_20220929_164438647.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 108

I was also thinking about armour displays. I’ve got a number of props that can displayed for sure but I have multiple helmets (and a good file for a printable helmet stand) old armour parts as well as some finished and unfinished parts. I thought it might be cool to show unfinished/in progress parts instead of just all finished stuff.

Also gonna tag Thorcanine and SpartanProps since they never check the boards!!!

I also have a bunch of rejected fibreglassed and printed parts that we could show people as fabrication examples if we wanna go that route. Molds, castings, stuff like that.

I also have a bunch of rejected fibreglassed and printed parts that we could show people as fabrication examples if we wanna go that route. Molds, castings, stuff like that.
I think it would be really cool for people to see where these things come from. Since one of most asked questions is usually “what’s that made out of?”
Do you want me to look into crafting some metal or similar Armor or Weapon racks?
That might be cool. At least for armour, I think Electraknite has a plan for weapon racks unless we want/need more

I think it would be really cool for people to see where these things come from. Since one of most asked questions is usually “what’s that made out of?”

That might be cool. At least for armour, I think Electraknite has a plan for weapon racks unless we want/need more
I also have access to an endless supply of Wooden Skids or 4x4s if needed for any other plans

I also have access to an endless supply of Wooden Skids or 4x4s if needed for any other plans
Oh that might be really helpful. There was talk of building flats, they would also be good for making crates or other random set pieces etc

Just let me know what we woupd want to do with it and when and I can fill my truck with what would possibly work.

I really want to focus on the main parts of the booth right now, The 2 weapons crates/Mobile Armouries as well as the walls.
The Reach MG is a roughly 5x5 or 6x6 spot of floor space and I do plan on it being done.

HOWEVER That said having a couple of non finished examples of armor is a great start, if we can, we should arrange them on the tables that are provided. We can show a progression of your suit, or even what raw parts look like. I spoke with TurboCharizard and we may also have access to some other goodies but I don't want to discuss them as of yet.

Having 1 stand for some armor is also a good play. That may be worth a couple folks investing in. Something we can put a torso on.

If we end up with a 20' x 10' we're going to have to take serious stock of what we want to actually put into play. That floor space seems like a lot until you start jamming 8-10 cosplayers in there plus the crowd looking at stuff. Especially if we have the backdrop for photos. The average person is a 2'x2' or 3'x3' square of floor space so having access to the booth is a big factor.

Much as I want to add more to the stack I think focusing on some our existing plans and maximizing those is the best bet. I am game to add an armor stand to the mix but don't want to lose focus.

ive got a dress form i can bring but I dont trust it to hold a 3d printed suit. foam or fibreglass armor should be fine. if we could find a full body mannequin that'd be sweet. This is best I can. Dress up mine..
567886EE-EBA3-4EF2-AB8F-0515464165CC.jpeg

I really want to focus on the main parts of the booth right now, The 2 weapons crates/Mobile Armouries as well as the walls.
The Reach MG is a roughly 5x5 or 6x6 spot of floor space and I do plan on it being done.

HOWEVER That said having a couple of non finished examples of armor is a great start, if we can, we should arrange them on the tables that are provided. We can show a progression of your suit, or even what raw parts look like. I spoke with TurboCharizard and we may also have access to some other goodies but I don't want to discuss them as of yet.

Having 1 stand for some armor is also a good play. That may be worth a couple folks investing in. Something we can put a torso on.

If we end up with a 20' x 10' we're going to have to take serious stock of what we want to actually put into play. That floor space seems like a lot until you start jamming 8-10 cosplayers in there plus the crowd looking at stuff. Especially if we have the backdrop for photos. The average person is a 2'x2' or 3'x3' square of floor space so having access to the booth is a big factor.

Much as I want to add more to the stack I think focusing on some our existing plans and maximizing those is the best bet. I am game to add an armor stand to the mix but don't want to lose focus.
I'll for sure have some unfinished pieces that can be shown and talked about. but I'll focus on getting the door wall put together. bless halo 3 theater mode for reference photos.

I'll for sure have some unfinished pieces that can be shown and talked about. but I'll focus on getting the door wall put together. bless halo 3 theater mode for reference photos.
Walls are being built up here and I need to talk with FANGS about specs, size, and detail. I also need to discuss storage and transport since they have to get moved. The Door is a maybe at this point. I don't want to diversify too much and end up scattered with non uniform components. I also want to ensure we have space in the booth for all the other stuff.

First Order of Duty as Batt Commander is going to go like this. I've messaged Fangs to try and arrange a time to discuss the EDM team building walls. We'll make them modular and able to transport. If this changes I will let people know. For the rest of it I think it makes more sense to keep the bulk of the booth in Calgary. This will be the stuff to actually fill the space. I've mulled over what's been said above.

Walls - FANGS Viper 466 Russett. If they're free to assist ForumFrog John Moffatt and FlyinPhil
Mobile Armory's x2 Electraknite and iac300. James offered to assist if needed.
Armor Stand capable of holding at least a Torso, Shoulders + Biceps, Thighs, Thorcanine and James If we can, maybe have 2 of these.
Reach Machine Gun Turret FlyinPhil

Below are 2 theoretical attached floor plans. This makes some big assumptions. First being the Mobile Armory's takes up a 4 x 1 foot print which is unlikely. I feel like they will be larger once finished but I need Electraknite to weigh in on her plans. This also assumes we get 2 tables. Each retailer gets 1 guaranteed table for a single 10x10 space.
The Reach MG is 163cm long which chews up a 5' x 5' foot print guaranteed.
The Photo Space will need a backdrop. The one we had at Outpost is somewhere between 6' - 8' wide and 8'-10' tall. This will dictate what our walls will look like. I believe having at most a space of 6'x8' off to either side plus a 6'8 back drop is more than sufficient.
Props can begin construction at your earliest.
Keep in mind we may get a corner booth, we may get a square of floor instead of a rectangle along a wall.

We also will need sand bags and such to stabilize the walls.

I love everyone's enthusiasm and want to maintain our current momentum. I do however want to drill into more specifics to keep things moving in the right direction. Modularity is key. If you find yourself with free time and want to keep working on things, making some simple foam props for the photo space or to fill the ammo racks may also be an option. I have a few things we can also set up on tables. Simple risers are also an option so we can have tiers of props and things on display instead of just a mess on a table.

Let me know your thoughts here.

Attachments

• Sample Floor Plans.png
    Sample Floor Plans.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 129
my design so far is 5' wide by 6' tall, 16" deep. im working on some kinda blueprint cut list. ill brainstorm with iac300 so we have a good plan.
do we want identical boxes or ones from different games?

my design so far is 5' wide by 6' tall, 16" deep. im working on some kinda blueprint cut list. ill brainstorm with iac300 so we have a good plan.
do we want identical boxes or ones from different games?
If we're wanting to keep a more uniform and consistent aesthetic to the booth I think two identical boxes would be best, but the different styles could also lean into the idea of it's your halo thing, build your favorite version the thing. I'm leaning towards identical boxes tho.

also I got a bunch of burlap leftover from another project that could maybe be used to make dummy sandbags with a Styrofoam core

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back