Calgary Expo 2023 Booth Planning

Hello all! I'm super excited about this!

I'm definitely all in to get this project going. I just need a little bit of time. I have a 9 week Trial starting in just over a week so right now I'm working alllllll the time. Once the Trial starts on the 17th, my part of the work is all done, for the most part, and I can get back to having some sort of a life back.

Keep in mind that everything has to be fireproof or fire proofable. We'll have to paint everything at the end with fireproof paint. The fire department will come and they will have us remove anything that isn't. We'll have to have samples of all materials used for them to test light. The 501st a few years ago did everything right except the "fill" in the trash compactor. It was all chunks of foam. The fire department made us clear that all out. So keep that thought in mind when figuring out what you want to build.

We also need to early on figure out what we have for storage options and transportation options.

Also keep in mind that every spot in a booth that has stuff that can be grabbed needs to be manned for the whole con. So with each design we figure out we have to also figure out manpower for that design.

I also can't guarantee that we'll have a place to store our bins and change. I sure how we do as they give that to the 501st each year but the 501st have also earned that and we're a bit of the new kid on the block. I'm leaning towards that we will get something but we can't count on it. So we want to build storage in to our design. I've tossed around an idea of doing a "face" for a table to make it look like a crate. Three panels - front and two sides - to slide around an 8 x 2 foot table made from plywood covered in corrugated metal for that shipping container look. Throw two storage drawer units under the back side and we have a giant Mary Poppins box for all of our booth supplies, emergency repair tools and supplies etc.

The flats for the walls are going to need lots of weight. I think we used both cement blocks and sand bags and I know one was better than the other but it's slipping my brain right now.

We'll also want to consider stanchions to rope off areas we don't want people to get hear. If you were at Expo you may have noticed the red ones we built for the 501st. Mommabear will be able to give us all of the specs to build those.

That's all I've got for now!

Very excited about this!!

Was asked to fabricate walls, do we have a design and/or height?
Also rough concept art for the whole set for good reference? I'm not too bad with a pencil if needed.

I've sent an email to Expo to find out if they have an idea yet about what size we might be looking at - I have not yet heard back.

Hi I'm Denise -Momma Bear from Edmonton.I'm working on an Elite and will be coming to Calgary Expo with Fangs. I have made several theater flats for the 501st booths. I see that you guys have it all pretty well going I would just like to offer what supplies I have if you need them. I have quite a few 4 x 8 ft wall boards and many 1 x 2s for building structure. I also have the concrete post holders that were really good at stabilizing the set peices.

Fangs mentioned stantions which we used to keep people separated from the things we didn't want them to be touching. If you guys want some of those I can make them, Fangs and I got pretty good at it for the 501st.

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Hi I'm Denise -Momma Bear from Edmonton.I'm working on an Elite and will be coming to Calgary Expo with Fangs. I have made several theater flats for the 501st booths. I see that you guys have it all pretty well going I would just like to offer what supplies I have if you need them. I have quite a few 4 x 8 ft wall boards and many 1 x 2s for building structure. I also have the concrete post holders that were really good at stabilizing the set peices.

Fangs mentioned stantions which we used to keep people separated from the things we didn't want them to be touching. If you guys want some of those I can make them, Fangs and I got pretty good at it for the 501st.

If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.
That all sounds great! Viper 466 can confirm but I think we’ll likely want the stantions for sure but I for one really like the idea of theatre style flats in general.

When Fangs and I did the stantions for the 501st Fangs had bought a silicone ice cube mold of the death star and we made the toppers out of resin. It would be cool to use something Halo for the toppers but I'm not sure what we would use. Basically we just used built in vac piping filled 1/2 way with concrete for weight and screwed to a 1 inch MDF plate. Easy to make and way less cost than buying them.

Mommabear and I are happy to help out however you need for us to do. I've received a message back from Expo and they ask that I reach out again in December once they are finished with con season. They also asked what size of booth we wanted. I'll be handing over that contact to our fearless leader, @Viper466! He's going to need all of our help though in answering some basics to help determine how big of a booth we'd like to shoot for.

The biggest question aside form storage and transportation of the set is manpower. For example - if we have a photo op area and a table we need to have at least 3 people, one of those in costume, at a bare minimum for the entire time to con is open - one for the table, one to direct traffic and help take pictures with people's phones, and 1 in costume for photos. It doesn't sound like a lot but having that for the entire con is a commitment. And to prevent there being any gaps in staffing, we'll need 4 people minimum at all times so the one coming in for the next costumed shift, isn't one of those in the booth already for the shift previously. If we have some props and\costumes on display, we'll need one person at all times for that area or areas depending on the set up.

We're in great hands with @Viper466 and Mommabear and I are here ready and able to take on whatever tasks he would like us to do!

When Fangs and I did the stantions for the 501st Fangs had bought a silicone ice cube mold of the death star and we made the toppers out of resin. It would be cool to use something Halo for the toppers but I'm not sure what we would use. Basically we just used built in vac piping filled 1/2 way with concrete for weight and screwed to a 1 inch MDF plate. Easy to make and way less cost than buying them.
Ooo I like that idea....I'll see what I can figure out. Maybe I'll print some moulds, or even just resin print a bunch of Chief helmets or something. Maybe a mix of things...
Mommabear and I are happy to help out however you need for us to do. I've received a message back from Expo and they ask that I reach out again in December once they are finished with con season. They also asked what size of booth we wanted. I'll be handing over that contact to our fearless leader, @Viper466! He's going to need all of our help though in answering some basics to help determine how big of a booth we'd like to shoot for.

The biggest question aside form storage and transportation of the set is manpower. For example - if we have a photo op area and a table we need to have at least 3 people, one of those in costume, at a bare minimum for the entire time to con is open - one for the table, one to direct traffic and help take pictures with people's phones, and 1 in costume for photos. It doesn't sound like a lot but having that for the entire con is a commitment. And to prevent there being any gaps in staffing, we'll need 4 people minimum at all times so the one coming in for the next costumed shift, isn't one of those in the booth already for the shift previously. If we have some props and\costumes on display, we'll need one person at all times for that area or areas depending on the set up.

We're in great hands with @Viper466 and Mommabear and I are here ready and able to take on whatever tasks he would like us to do!
Awesome to hear!
As for manpower, I know Electraknite and I won't have any problem being there full-time if necessary. I can probably voluntell Thorcanine as well. I know a few others are planning on being there but I won't speak for them.....just yet. Muahahha*coughwheeze*hahaa.

Evil laugh needs work.

I think we can handle a 30 x 10 foot with options for props and set up. I gave James and Electraknite the green light to start blueprinting and working on props to populate the space. Armour dummy in a hard case, and weapons rack/field armoury. If we have that chief statue plus the Mg turret that should solidify and cover our space needs.

The other batt staff and I went over the documentation. We have approximately 9 confirmed members attending so we can work out a 5 on 4 off rotation if need be. with potentially up to 6 others potentially able to attend and help out plus yourself FANGS and Mommabear. Though I didn't include you as I know you run your own booth.

So minimum predicted 9, maybe 17 if we get a full turn out.

Do you have any access to trailers or transport equipment so we can move the wall segments Fangs?

ive got a dress form i can bring but I dont trust it to hold a 3d printed suit. foam or fibreglass armor should be fine. if we could find a full body mannequin that'd be sweet. This is best I can. Dress up mine..
View attachment 323973
I love to way you display your armor. im going to use pvc pipe to make a display rack that way i can take it with me if i need to

@Viper466 - we won't be running our own booth in Calgary. But thank you for considering that!

We'll have to speak to the printing company about Chief. They may have it there but I don't know that they'll want it in our booth necessarily. Who knows though!

As for trailers - we do not. Denise had access to one in the past but that it is no longer the case so we'll likely need to rent one. With that comes also the extra cost of exhibitor parking x 2 for a truck and trailer, plus gas, etc.

just popping in to say that they made plasma grenade ice cube molds a little while ago for lootcrate! Might be able to find those for a super simple topper

Thanks, Rock Lobbster! Everyone keep an eye out for one of those plasma grenade ice cube molds please and thanks! We'll need a couple to make the process go a little faster.

Holy cow I had to do some deep diving to find this. It was a 2018 release so it might be super hard to find at this point. I couldn't find any listings of it for sale anywhere!
"Plasma grenade ice mold"
1666885239899.png
1666885253873.png

Holy cow I had to do some deep diving to find this. It was a 2018 release so it might be super hard to find at this point. I couldn't find any listings of it for sale anywhere!
"Plasma grenade ice mold"
View attachment 324718View attachment 324719
I think I still have one of those lying around in a drawer somewhere. Willing to send to someone if you all need it.

Last edited:
@Viper466 - we won't be running our own booth in Calgary. But thank you for considering that!

We'll have to speak to the printing company about Chief. They may have it there but I don't know that they'll want it in our booth necessarily. Who knows though!

As for trailers - we do not. Denise had access to one in the past but that it is no longer the case so we'll likely need to rent one. With that comes also the extra cost of exhibitor parking x 2 for a truck and trailer, plus gas, etc.
Do we have a stipend or budget for travel/building or is it make due with what we can pool?

Denise and I can take on the stanchions so if you can get us the mold (you'll get it back when we're done) we'll get these done - of course we'll need to decide how many and what colours we want to do them in.

As for costs, that will come from Snow Burner members who are able to contribute. I think the first step will be doing the design and then figuring out what supplies are needed. Then we can price those all out and then whoever is able to either go get certain items or contribute towards the cost can do so. Of course we also have Mommabear's very kind offer of a bunch of supplies that are at her house but of course, that's another consideration as the stuff is in Edmonton.

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back