Can you recommend a decent MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTogusa

Hey guys,
My wife has just bought a new Laptop and we're concidering having a bash at an MMO we can both play together, her on the Laptop and me on the PC.
Have you got any recommendations?
I did used to play WoW a while back but it's not for me.
We need an MMO that isn't too much of a grind, that you don't have to play 24/7 to get anywhere decent.
I hear Tabula Rasa is pretty good.

0h MAI GUD Tur was a trehud in this. You neid to pleh RUNESCAPZORZ! LOlololo. Sorry. I just had to. I live bashin runescape. If i were you i'd check out guild wars. Never played it myself, but a few friends say its good.

Guild Wars is probably a prety good bet, theres no subscription fees so if after a bit you get bored they cant carry on leaching money out of you! Also when you go off outside the city areas the only players there are you and your party so you and the missus can adventure off together in peace. I played it for a while but ive got a raheeely short atention span so i didnt last too long.

I've played a lot of MMO's because me and my fiance' had both bought new computers and wanted to have a game to play together.

Here's my opinion on the ones we've tried:

Vanguard=didn't run properly even on a brand new computer, EQ clone by McQuaid
EQ=sony pretty well hates their customers, it's buggy, also invented by McQuaid...
City of Villains=character creation made it innovative but it gets very repetitive and you'll be bored of it after 1-2 weeks play
WOW=time stealer, 99% of community are unremitting jerks
FLYFF=korean time stealer, poorly translated
MapleStory= side scroller? i played it for a few hours and lost all interest
Rappelz= pretty graphics but pk is always on and 10 year old koreans will camp you for hours
D&D= a rotten egg even in beta, RIP

We put quite a bit of time giving each of these a try, but they were all merciless grinds. Wow was the least grind-y (by comparison only) and we still regret having played it. Grinding is the nature of the genre and we found it can be *really* frustrating (or impossible) trying to turn that into fun for two people.

Diablo's BattleNet is the only online multiplayer that I didn't throw in the garbage ><. It's main redeeming quality is that it's free and you can make private games. We still play that every now and again.

the mmo that i play is Final Fantasy 11. its a real good game. most of the people in the game are willing to help if u ever need it. after the first few lvls you'll find you self in parties to level up to the top. u can have more than 1 job per character. u can have 2 jobs at once once u hit level 18. i think there is a total of 15 jobs u can choose from. u have 8 u can choose from in the beggining and another 7 that u have to unlock once u get to level 30 i believe. its a really good game and only 15 bucks a month

Wait a few months there is a new MMO from Warhammer coming out in October, I work with a guy who is in the beta and he constantly sings its praises.

EDIT:
here is a link for information on warhammer online, i think this will be a good one.
http://www.warhammeronline.com/

Vexona said:
WOW=time stealer, 99% of community are unremitting jerks

Ain't that the truth.
For such a huge/popular MMO the community wasn't up to much.....on the european servers at least.
Yeah maybe an MMO isn't the way to go. We just want a game we can play together thats a little more immersive than say, rockband.
We tried Halo multiplayer but she can't get into FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...let me think. Oh, none. I hate MMOs anymore. I played Lineage 2 for about 2 1/2 months, even helped some French girl learn some better English. Other than that, the closest I've ever come to playing MMO were things like Final Fantasy X/X2 and the Elder Scrolls games where it takes hours upon hours to finish the game, but you do eventually finish the game.

I will say I heard that some people were excited about Tabula Rasa at first, but were disheartened after it's release. That's just what I heard so it could be a decent game. I remember reading about it saying this looks like an interesting game till they said it was an MMO.

I'll tell you probably the best place to get decent reviews on games is X-Play at G4TV.com. Usually any game given a 4 out of 5 or higher is a good investment.

theres

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (great game, PLAY WITH LOW DETAIL AND TEXTURE OPTIONS or the game wont run right)
Knightonline (www.Knightonlineworld.com, decent graphics & good gameplay)
Runescape (www.runescape.com, its okay, sorta... if your 13-16)
FFXI (its FF online, pretty much)
LOTR online (lord of the rings online, which i have never played)
GuildWars (good game, but gets boring after you beat it NO MONTHLY FEES)
Everquest (only problem with this game is all the bugs)
Everquest II (not as good as EQ1 or Vanguard, pretty much the same)
DMtGM

I was in on the Tabula Rasa beta and it was FRICKIN AWESOME! I love it because, unlike traditional MMO's you control your character attacking. instead of press number one, then two, then three and wait for one to reset, it's more set like a third person shooter. you shoot a gun until its overheated, empty, jammed, or destroyed, then you switch to a sidearm or other secondary weapon, clear the jam, or run like bloody heck outa there! Its especially fun because there are whole fricking planets to travel too! literally, every PLANET has its own unique set of a dozen or so zones. Plus, you can move back and forth between servers, depending on how laggy it is! I didn't continue with that after the beta because i'm still playing LOTRO, which is the other thing I would recommend. LOTRO has a more traditional combat style of attack and regen, but there is such an in-depth plot line that getting bored would require (a not following the plot quest and just grinding against NPC's, (b playing non-stop for a couple weeks (my problem), (c there are two points in the game where you are too high level to fight the enemies in your area, and too low level to move on to the next. So that leaves you with either a loooooong walk to the North Downs, or nickel and diming it with lower level NPC's and quests. I currently am in the second of those two level barriers, but just getting out of it. Most of the reason I am still playing LOTRO though, is because i'm a "founder". A founder is one of the players who was in on the beta, and continued on into paying to play, and founders are given a special offer of 200$ for a never-ending account. basically, i'm in it for life.

So yeah, LOTRO or Tabula Rasa.

-Chupa

I've only played it a little, the beta started just a day or two ago, but Conan is pretty fun. Now, this said, I am a WoW player so I like the kind of game wow is. The game is released next week I believe.

EDIT: Just got done talking to one of my friends, who works at GameStop, and they are selling the game today, it says they are supposed to in their system. The servers do not go live until Tuesday, when the game is officially released. I'm off to go pick up my collectors edition. :lol:

RedTogusa said:
Hey guys,
My wife has just bought a new Laptop and we're concidering having a bash at an MMO we can both play together, her on the Laptop and me on the PC.
Have you got any recommendations?
I did used to play WoW a while back but it's not for me.
We need an MMO that isn't too much of a grind, that you don't have to play 24/7 to get anywhere decent.
I hear Tabula Rasa is pretty good.

Do you like RTS?

I'm a longtime C&C fan. Tiberium Wars is pretty good IMO.

Also, if you have a GC, SSB:M and Mario Kart are excellent! (Well I haven't played Mario Kart on the GC but I always loved the Nintendo one so I'm sure I'd probably like it.)

teh best one i played was wow

Free server so no monthly fees and you level fast (took around 15 to 20 hours so not bad)

But i also heard from friends that lotr is solid

Robo_117 said:
u should play

Soldier Front

http://sfront.ijji.com

Free Online Shooting Game :D
hey maplestory!.. waste 1 year of my life....

Only a year im working on 2 years. its kinda fun cuz once you figure out how to cuss on it and can yell at the noobs it makes it more fun

Guild Wars is my choice. Amazing story, amazing graphics, tons of expansions, free online play forever, can essentially change classes and re-align points whenever you want so there is no persay "screwing up" and you can customize for every area, and doesn't take you forever to feel like you accomplished something. The only con to the game in my oppininon is racking up a team to go traveling with but they do provide plent of NPC's to travel with you and you'll have your wife so this is almost a must have game at $20 or so. Guild Wars: Prophecies is the first game incase you decide to buy :)

Cheers,
Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back