Can you sit on your armour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
innerrayg said:
Then you can use your slightly softer MC armor to beg on the streets, saying "Will teabag for cash".
ha ha i think i might try that one once im broke lol.
but im gonna get a job, to support my armor making hobby....well more like life....so money wont be much of a problem if i get the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend that makes his mother molds out of plaster and he uses fiberglass mat to reinforce it..

Maybe try this out if you have to.. might be stronger than your average plaster. He dips pieces of the mat into thinly mixed plaster and applys it like your standard plaster gauze wrap..

I can't say that I believe that this will stand up to a sit down, but it maybe worth a try if your mom won't agree to let you use resin.

hmm interesting idea......ill try that, if my mom wont let me use the resin. you mean like mix plaster, and use it like papermache with the fiberglass?
cause the kind of plaster i have, is attached to cloth strips, and i dip it in water, to activate the plaster. that idea sounds cool tho. thanks!

rachciav said:
yea ive tried many times convincing them. i even said i'd wait to fiberglass in the summer, so i could go in our backyard. but they think its gonna kill me and ruin the environment. mean parents :mad: i dont expect them to buy it, i'd use my own money, but you have to be over 18 to buy the materials....sooo i kinda cant get it.....i was gonna do the hot glue metod, but i dont have a portable stove. and i dont know how strong that would be, seeing i want it rock hard. and they cant really threaten me with much, since they all ready wont let me get a 360.....ive never played halo 3 yet...... :mad:
thz for the adivse tho...
Go cardboard. It isnt the sturdiest alone, but it can make a good costume as long as you take care of it properly, and you dont need to be 18 to buy resin and fiberglass, I was able to purchase it myself when I was 17. ;p

I dont have armor (though I would REALLY like some)
so I dont have to worry about sitting in my armor :)

BTW, my parents HATE halo to the max

AoBfrost said:
Go cardboard. It isnt the sturdiest alone, but it can make a good costume as long as you take care of it properly, and you dont need to be 18 to buy resin and fiberglass, I was able to purchase it myself when I was 17. ;p

i made an H2 version of just carboard armor, but i wasnt really that satisfied. so i wanted to try the cardstock, and fiberglass idea. and from what ive read, you have to be 18. i dont think i could pretend to be 18 and get away with it either....im kinda short.

BTW, my parents HATE halo to the max[quote/]

i know how you feel.

Well, if you dont have the resources, the money, or the approval, then why make armor? Does your life depend on if you have a suit or not? Ours dont, but we make them because it's our hobby and because we have the materials, resources, and other things. If you cant do it now, maybe you can in a few years. I waited for storm trooper since I was 9 years old, I always wanted a suit, but was always too short and too skinny, now I am taller (still skinny) and I have $$$, I bought a suit. Things come with time.

AoBfrost said:
Well, if you dont have the resources, the money, or the approval, then why make armor? Does your life depend on if you have a suit or not? Ours dont, but we make them because it's our hobby and because we have the materials, resources, and other things. If you cant do it now, maybe you can in a few years. I waited for storm trooper since I was 9 years old, I always wanted a suit, but was always too short and too skinny, now I am taller (still skinny) and I have $$$, I bought a suit. Things come with time.

Indeed, Patience is a Virtue.

Indeed it is.

But when you are 15 years old and you
Mom and Dad have total control over your
life, then not really. (In my case that is.)

for me...my life depends upon it (not literaly) i have the cash. and i think my mom will be more ok with it, considering the resin is safe when its dry. she was mostly afraid it would kill animals, and stuff. now that i found out its harmless i think im alright. ill ask her after work.
frost, i have no idea how you could stand it, waiting 9 yrs! holy crap....but the thing is, starwars will never go out of style. but one day halo might....it is a day we all try not to think about. but i fear it may come.....

Resin Harmless? It has fumes which can make a person sick and die from it. You have to wear a respirator for fumes, not dust when working with it.

Sigma-LS said:
Even if I used plaster on the rest of my armor, I would not use it with the butt-plate. That type of material will just crack if you put any kind of pressure on it. I would use Frost's hot glue method if I had no fiberglass options.
Though have you considered epoxy and fiberglass tape(the orange kind they use to repair drywall)? No fibers or harsh fumes to breath in but very very strong.

Could someone please elaborate on the epoxy and fiberglass tape option? I go to college, and glassing/resining inside the dorm would certainly lead to my suitemates killing me .

Sean Bradley said:
Must add many extra layers of resin and fiberglass for strength.

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

that was taken a little while ago cause they took out the cave racing thing next to the motorcycle

AoBfrost said:
Resin Harmless? It has fumes which can make a person sick and die from it. You have to wear a respirator for fumes, not dust when working with it.
no i meant harmless once its dried. i know to wear a resperator while working with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back