Carrying Weapon Props In Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

this is haji

Jr Member
Whats everyone take on this?

At the Modern Warfare 2 release, I dressed up like a Opfor from COD4. I made sure my mag pouches were empty and left all my airsoft guns at home.

Well, upon entrance after standing in line for 2 hours. Two officers, one with her gun drawed at me ended up detaining and searching me. They also told me i was not allowed to wear the arab scarf around my face (I wanted to smart off and tell them it was religous and call racial profiling but i would just made it worse)

I started wondering how screwed id be if decided to leave my replica glock in my serpa holster, even though it was a replica id imagine it would have been cofiscated

Have you guys ever had a problem with carrying a prop weapon? and do you fix a orange cap on the muzzle end?

Orange = safe... The sidearm often completes the look of the costume, but sometimes you just need to take into consideration that it may be taken out of context. If yer gonna carry... orange the tip

Basicly if you go out in public with ANY gun whatsoever and it doesn't have an orange cap, you are just asking to have a real gun drawn on you.

Wow... thats kind of a harsh reaction especialy when it was the release. They shouldve assumed there would be ppl dressed up. The profiling comment wouldve been funny.

it was probably because of how you were dressed. they may have been at the event but could have had no idea of the characters and how they look. to them you probably appeared a threat since most people are still worried about foreign attacks

I doubt that they have the legal right to do that. They may have thought you were attempting to 'impersonate a member of the military' or something along those lines, but it should be considered fancy dress, with nothing meant by it. Seriously, it sounds like a breach of your human rights, so I would have made a complaint to your local police dept after it happened.

ended up detaining and searching me

This is understandable. I mean, their first consideration is the public's safety. They'd do the same to any other person. But

one with her gun drawed at me

this is an outrage. Even if the safety was on (which I doubt, since personal experience has taught me that women and authority and women with guns are bad combinations).

Orange = safe

I've never heard about it. Could someone enlighten me?

ANY gun whatsoever

Even a clearly fictional one?

an orange barrel tip is placed on toy guns to show they will not fire lethal projectiles
1-1-155~s600x600.jpg

Michalanthropos said:
this is an outrage. Even if the safety was on (which I doubt, since personal experience has taught me that women and authority and women with guns are bad combinations).

I've never heard about it. Could someone enlighten me?

Even a clearly fictional one?

i would just like to point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with women in positions of power (yes you are going to get some women that shouldn't even be given power to brush their own teeth, but the same goes for men as well), and to paint all women with a single brush like that is an extremely chauvinistic and inappropriate way of thinking as i know of a lot of women who would do better jobs in power than the men that are there now.

now, that having been said, yeah, they put orange caps around prop guns to show that they are not real guns, you see this done at a lot of anime conventions and whatnot where people gather while in costume. its just generally a good idea to make your props with orange caps even if they look totally fake. that way even the stupid people out there can be sure its not real.

Last edited by a moderator:
with the orange tips the rule of thumb is: replica of a real weapon, definitly. prop weapon that COULD pass for a functioning weapon, yes. fictional weapon that is easyily seen as a prop, your choice at your own risk. obvious props (plasma rifle, gravity hammer, ect) anything without a barrel, more than likely no

hahaha i think it'd be funny to hold up two cops who pointed first with a group of Master Cheifs with Assault rifels n sniper rifels lol. sorry bout your bad luck man.

gakkengod said:
hahaha i think it'd be funny to hold up two cops who pointed first with a group of Master Cheifs with Assault rifels n sniper rifels lol. sorry bout your bad luck man.

Oh yeah, that would be great fun... as would the multiple "vent holes" the cops would put in the armors, free of charge. :unsure

gakkengod said:

that would probably be the last dumbest mistake the group would ever make. really poor idea

Hello All,

the last police that pointed a weapon at me,when I was in costume, found themselves with a lawsuit, both the individuals, and the commander, among the charges, assault with a weapon, and the kicker was the commander was removed from position because he knew what was going on but neglected to tell them about the opening. And the best kicker of all, the guy I was with, happen to be a state trooper. :D

stilgar

Outlaw-Tiger said:
i would just like to point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with women in positions of power (yes you are going to get some women that shouldn't even be given power to brush their own teeth, but the same goes for men as well), and to paint all women with a single brush like that is an extremely chauvinistic and inappropriate way of thinking as i know of a lot of women who would do better jobs in power than the men that are there now.

now, that having been said, yeah, they put orange caps around prop guns to show that they are not real guns, you see this done at a lot of anime conventions and whatnot where people gather while in costume. its just generally a good idea to make your props with orange caps even if they look totally fake. that way even the stupid people out there can be sure its not real.

Allow me to disagree. Not because I say so, not because that's how the world is in my mind, but because that's what experience has taught me so far. From "friends" to relatives. And by "friends" I don't mean "people I met on the internet, or people I met once". I mean people I was forced to work with, and the occasional friend's friend(relationships excluded). I agree, many if not most men with power are plagued by incompetence, by I've yet to meet a woman who has authority (be it official, social, or any major influence over some kind of decision) and isn't plagued by arrogance. I could whine about it for hours, but it wouldn't matter. Your experience says left, mine says right. All we can do is accept each other's opinion. But there's one thing in your post that made me go boom for a moment.

an extremely chauvinistic and inappropriate way of thinking

It's not that you almost call me a chauvinist, it's not that you disagree with my way of thinking. It's the fact that you imply there's a right way of thinking, and there are wrong ways of thinking. In other words, everyone with an opinion other than yours is wrong. I get this a lot, and it really gets me. Let me give you an example. There are thousands religions out there. This means there is one that is right and lots that are wrong. But what if there's no God? Are you still right? And if you change your opinion, then which opinion is wrong? The one you had, or the one you have? Either way, you are wrong at some point(but Jesus still loves you and Cthulhu will still swallow your soul, meaning that if there is a true religion, and it's not yours, you're still going to be affected by it). And there's no such thing as inappropriate. "Appropriate" is just a chain and ball. A fear about what will the others say. Imagine a homosexual in an old fashioned classic society. His preferences whould seem inappropriate to the other people. Does that mean he should shut up, live and die unhappy? And let's take it back to religion. It's inappropriate to claim another religion is false. But what if you are convinced your religion is the true one? Are you going to let another religion's false priesthood to keep lying to their own flock (You could be wrong, but you could also be right. That why I put the "you are convinced". You never know with gods.)? And another example. From ancient times, no matter how corrupt a king was, it would be rather inappropriate to revolt against him. We did it, the americans did it, the russians did it, the french did it. History proved us all right. Look at the english. I don't mean to insult them, but the royal family is just a lazy bunch of money eaters. Are you going to behave, be appropriate, shut up, follow the fish school and join the mass, or are you going to voice your opinion, no matter how inappropriate it is? Remember, if you are right then the joke's on the others, and if you are wrong then at least you have the pair to raise your voice.

Back on topic, it's good to know about the caps. Could be useful, but sadly only once in a year(since there are no conventions in my country and the only time you can dress "funny" is during the equivalent of haloween).

I know the rule of orange cap on a prop but in some cases the police still don't like that. There was a case of a 501st member in Australia (not sure if I spelled that right) but police at a mall cornered and arrested him for having an unlicenced weapon which was a DL-44 I belive. I have had my own case of staying at a cheap hotel for a convention 5 miles from the convention with a re-painted nerf gun which I had to ride the city bus to get to the con waiting for the bus with the tip painted orange and I got arrested for that, thankfully released 6 hours later, but I did'nt get the nerf back. This was in Dallas last year and while I did'nt file a suit I probably should have.

Michalanthropos said:
Allow me to disagree. Not because I say so, not because that's how the world is in my mind, but because that's what experience has taught me so far. From "friends" to relatives. And by "friends" I don't mean "people I met on the internet, or people I met once". I mean people I was forced to work with, and the occasional friend's friend(relationships excluded). I agree, many if not most men with power are plagued by incompetence, by I've yet to meet a woman who has authority (be it official, social, or any major influence over some kind of decision) and isn't plagued by arrogance. I could whine about it for hours, but it wouldn't matter. Your experience says left, mine says right. All we can do is accept each other's opinion. But there's one thing in your post that made me go boom for a moment.

It's not that you almost call me a chauvinist, it's not that you disagree with my way of thinking. It's the fact that you imply there's a right way of thinking, and there are wrong ways of thinking. In other words, everyone with an opinion other than yours is wrong. I get this a lot, and it really gets me. Let me give you an example. There are thousands religions out there. This means there is one that is right and lots that are wrong. But what if there's no God? Are you still right? And if you change your opinion, then which opinion is wrong? The one you had, or the one you have? Either way, you are wrong at some point(but Jesus still loves you and Cthulhu will still swallow your soul, meaning that if there is a true religion, and it's not yours, you're still going to be affected by it). And there's no such thing as inappropriate. "Appropriate" is just a chain and ball. A fear about what will the others say. Imagine a homosexual in an old fashioned classic society. His preferences whould seem inappropriate to the other people. Does that mean he should shut up, live and die unhappy? And let's take it back to religion. It's inappropriate to claim another religion is false. But what if you are convinced your religion is the true one? Are you going to let another religion's false priesthood to keep lying to their own flock (You could be wrong, but you could also be right. That why I put the "you are convinced". You never know with gods.)? And another example. From ancient times, no matter how corrupt a king was, it would be rather inappropriate to revolt against him. We did it, the americans did it, the russians did it, the french did it. History proved us all right. Look at the english. I don't mean to insult them, but the royal family is just a lazy bunch of money eaters. Are you going to behave, be appropriate, shut up, follow the fish school and join the mass, or are you going to voice your opinion, no matter how inappropriate it is? Remember, if you are right then the joke's on the others, and if you are wrong then at least you have the pair to raise your voice.

Back on topic, it's good to know about the caps. Could be useful, but sadly only once in a year(since there are no conventions in my country and the only time you can dress "funny" is during the equivalent of haloween).

you raise very valid points, and if you would like to discuss this matter further feel free to message me, as i feel it might be an interesting topic of conversation :)

and $#!Tty deal about not being able to dress up on days other than halloween =(. though, you oculd always do what a lot of people on here do, and randomly dress up and walk around in public just to see what kind of reactions you get ;). those are always interesting times... but also the times where it is most important to have that orange cap on any prop fire arms :)

Outlaw-Tiger said:
you raise very valid points, and if you would like to discuss this matter further feel free to message me, as i feel it might be an interesting topic of conversation :)

and $#!Tty deal about not being able to dress up on days other than halloween =(. though, you oculd always do what a lot of people on here do, and randomly dress up and walk around in public just to see what kind of reactions you get ;) . those are always interesting times... but also the times where it is most important to have that orange cap on any prop fire arms :)

haha! can anyone say "Wal-Mart Run"? :p Only person you gotta worry about there is the greeter :D

Thanks for thoughts guys. stilgar.. i dont know if im that ambitous to get them fired.

Well, heres what im not following. Its after hours, Theres a crowd of 100+ people. If an bystander idiot did call the police, Does he or she not realize im with a group of 100+ people and if there was a serious problem, that crowd would be in panic?

- I want to say the two officers were already there for security. I just have a feeling this was their motive "Man this is boring... lets mess with this f*** over here so we can get some action tonight"

CONCLCUSION

Well, guys.. im more leniant to leaving any weapon props at home and if i absolutley need to bring it.. its gonna be in a case till its safe to display

lol speaking of women with guns. When i was 10, a Female officer pulled me over on my bike because i was riding to fast. I got off with a moderate yell " HEY! YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN OR ILL TAKE YOU HOME"

^ /off topic

You have bad luck with cops....

I would call suit or something. That is profiling just for waring the scarf.

About the orange tip. There was a person that painted a orange tip onto a real gun and gave it to his young son and went into a bank, everyone thought it was fake and didnt pay attention to it, well the person robed the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back