Chazodudes Odst Progress - Mud Glassing Begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazodude

Hey Guys and Gals,

This story starts just before Halo 3: ODST was released. I was excitedly awaiting the game - I had pre-ordered s it would come on the day - playing some COD 4 to pass the time.

Then, BAM! My xbox got RROD and died =(

So, i sent it off to Microsoft and today i got an email saying it's being returned. I'm pleased with the service!

UPDATE: UPS returned the console (well, replaced it) on 6/10 (10/6 for you Americans =P) Really pleased with their service and promptness - 1 week to send it back!

I'm on the last documented level, the Banshee one. Apparently after that it does some more that you aren't told about on the VISR screen. Wish me luck!

Anyway, I had a copy of ODST on my bedside table and thought, why dont I use the spare time to make a helmetarmour?! I was always to lazy to build as i'd rather pwn some n00bs at COD.

So, I printed off Ral Patha's amazing unfold of the helmet and began work... 7 hours later I had a not to shoddy helmet!

Its not the best quality of build but i'm impatient! >_>

So, I decided to try and get some youtube hits and put it up. This is stage one and the result of my peping:

Hopefully thats embedded!

Tonight I got home from school and on account of having no homework decided to resin:

I have now started mud glassing and tested out the paint job on the legendary helmet you see in the second video.

Here are some pictures: (click to enlarge)

th_Photo055.jpgth_Photo056.jpgth_Photo058.jpgth_Photo059.jpgth_Photo061.jpgth_Photo062.jpg

----------------------------------------------

Right, I have now finished cutting out the back piece for the ODST. I finished mud glassing yesterday evening and began sanding. Oh my gawd its hard.

The sanding will take ages. I want that helmet to be smooth as a gruntsbabies backside.

With the shoulders I'm in two minds on wether to make one and mold it, or make two and mold the best one later. (For other people who are interested)

I think I may make one and contact my school. They said I can vacuum form there at lunch times if I pay for materials.

3981478332_0ca34ebd58_b.jpg

More at my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chazodude/

If by the end of this, anyone is interested in one, I will be ordering silicon and urethane rubber for some friends who want one. If you commit, I'll get more urethane then :)

4 visors are on their way, reflective blue. One for me, two for Dan and Joe, and one spare. (If I mess one up forming it then theres only 3 and I will need more)

Does anyone know if you can vacuum form visors?

----------------------------------------------

Constructive criticism is always welcome!

I will update Twitter more than I update this! If you want up to date info then follow me please!

http://twitter.com/Chazodude

Daily updates regarding that days progress will be posted here.

Oh, and BTW, I live in England. So my today is your tonight! Thats why it may seem odd if I say this morning and its posted at night =P

-Chazodude

Last edited by a moderator:
looks very good! however, i would not rush it to try and finish for halo-ween....then it will not come out as good as if you would have taken your time.

I don't know =P

I'm in two minds over trying to vacuum form a visor or just using sigmas method.

I suppose i need it as a template though.

And I wont rush it! I'm gonna take my time, if its ready for haloween its a bonus.

Chazodude

Looks cool, if only I had some files for my pepakura software that actually WORKS! I downloaded the ODST pepakura files from this website and when I opened them it said that this file could not be found, you gave me dead files! HOw could you???? :'(

@El1t3HUNT3R13 I dont think i gave you any files.... =P But if they're not working, check that you have the corresponding version of pepakura designer/viewer.

Pepakura 3 files wont work on version 2!

And yes, i like resin! I'm slightly paranoid about stuff breaking.

Anyone care to advise me on how much smooth-on I'd need? Rebound and smooth-cast 300 sound right. (do i need 305, 300q etc)

Thanks

Chazodude

I was ill last night so I couldnt work on it =(

I printed off the backpack and shoulders then ran out of cardstock. I will hopefully get some more today and glue them up shortly.

I may also mud glass the helmet today, we'll see how things go!

Chazodude

Chazodude said:
I was ill last night so I couldnt work on it =(

I printed off the backpack and shoulders then ran out of cardstock. I will hopefully get some more today and glue them up shortly.

I may also mud glass the helmet today, we'll see how things go!

Chazodude

Awesome, I can't wait to see it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished mud glassing for today. Its amazing stuff!

I just knocked on it to see how hard it was and hurt my knuckles =P

Hopefully that will be done tomorrow and i can start sanding.

I also tried a paint job on a small area of the legendary helmet from the second video.

3976986059_99aef67d11_b.jpg

3976991477_59dfbf2633_b.jpg

I think it looks good. It seems orange there but thats just the light. I used metallic dark grey/silver - I think its called metallic steel - and weathered with chrome.

It looks better in person then it does in the pics.

In the final helmet i'll use some war hammer paints i've got hanging around from years ago to do the stripe.

Some friends have shown an interest in buying one. Unfortunately they each want a different character!

So, it looks like i'll be ding Dutch and Mickey! I want a Rookie for myself and have considered doing Romeo and Buck to finish the whole team off!

Would I be right in believing I'd be the first to do all 5?

Opinions wanted!!!!

UPDATE: ODST Torso/Backpiece has been cut out. (Not the backpack, the back plate =P)

Looking to stick together and resin that tommorow after I finish mud glassing the helmet.

So, tomorow should conclude with:

One mud glassed and resined helmet.

One back piece stuck together, resined and mud glassed.

and two shoulders pepped.

Now I need to make a mannequin to hold it all! =D

Chazodude

Right, I finished mudglassing Sunday night and put a coat of primer on:

3980722709_85655a9c2b_m.jpg 3981478332_0ca34ebd58_m.jpg 3980703893_9a406b86f6_m.jpg

(Clicky for bigger shots)

Now I'm starting sanding. Its time consuming =P

I also realised that whilst I've been here for 2 years, this is the first project I've really stuck with. Hmm...

Visors finally acknowledged as being ordered. They should come in 4-5 days. I'm going to try Sigmas way.

And, when I finish the chest pads and shoulders, I will be vacuum forming them at school. This means I'll save on materials.

And another thing, I cant recommend Mud glassing enough!

Its amazing! It's almost exactly like the smooth on urethane I used to make the legendary. Rock solid and awesome!

Anyway, I'll post with the next update soon.

Charlie

I was on the fence about mud glassing and now it seems I've been tipped over. Mudglass it is. It seems so much easier to do, especially to fill all the little nooks and crannys on the insides.

Your helmet's looking great. You're well on your way.

I had tried doing just fibreglassing, but know I've tried this, I'm never going back!

It has the same properties of plastic when dry.

It's hard to explain but if you've ever had smooth on dry in your container and peeled it out, its exactly the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back