ChefBZD's foam Master Chief WIP (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work on the foam building and great paint work too! This is one of the best foam Master Chief builds I've seen. Keep those updates coming! :D

Great work on the foam building and great paint work too! This is one of the best foam Master Chief builds I've seen. Keep those updates coming! :D

Hey, Thanks! I'm feeling really good about this build so far.

I'm curious about the foam armouring. is it still the same process as cardstock? bondo, fiberglass resin, etc. No, I have never even looked into working with foam. just curious for a short, simple answer. Thanks Chef. :)

I'm curious about the foam armouring. is it still the same process as cardstock? bondo, fiberglass resin, etc. No, I have never even looked into working with foam. just curious for a short, simple answer. Thanks Chef. :)

The reason I chose foam is because I do not have the capability to use harsh chemicals (resin, bondo, etc.) In my apartment with my two kids around. How far you take it is up to you, I happen to be pretty good at foam, I Dont feel its necessary for me to rondo over it. You can do so to refine details and what not, but its not necessary. My first build, check the link below, could have definitely used such refinement, but I've come a long way since then. I like foam...its way cheaper than chemicals too...

Wow, Chef! that is a VERY impressive first build man. Maybe I should look into this foam building! It looks much more forgiving than cardstock/bondo. Wicked shots of your armour!
What will you do with the finished armour? Think you'll ever wear it again?
I'm currently working on my first halo suit ever. I'm making Halo Wars MK IV suit. It looks so aggressive IMO. Almost all parts fully pepped, and a few items resined. so far, 3 months total to the day.

Wow, Chef! that is a VERY impressive first build man. Maybe I should look into this foam building! It looks much more forgiving than cardstock/bondo. Wicked shots of your armour!
What will you do with the finished armour? Think you'll ever wear it again?
I'm currently working on my first halo suit ever. I'm making Halo Wars MK IV suit. It looks so aggressive IMO. Almost all parts fully pepped, and a few items resined. so far, 3 months total to the day.

Thanks for the compliment. Dont get me wrong, foam is no walk in the park. With pep, its align the numbers and glue. With foam you have to account for the thickness of the foam and the angles to which you cut it...yes I find it to be more forgiving, for sure.
Its also very comfortable to wear, lightweight and snug. I guess the two arms have taken me about a week...one piece per day, from foam sheets to paint...lol

in regards to your duct tape dummy; http://www.handimania.com/diy/your-own-shape-sewing-mannequin.html
really, really easy to do!

Yeah the duct tape dummy is super easy to do and works great. I would suggest doing your legs at the same time so its all one piece. It needs a basic pvc skeleton so it stands on its own otherwise you have to hang it. the employer I was working for when I built mine did alot of shipping of packages so i got tons of packing peanuts for free to stuff it with. Now I dont have that available to me so I am keeping all the foam pieces that would normamly get thrown away, cutting them down into small chunks and using them to do as much filling as possible. Im still going to need other stuff but I figured it would be a good way to use the left over foam.

Great progress so far. the detail and paint look great. your lines are super clean as well. Do you sand your edges at all after the piece is assembled to help smooth the corners before you paint?

Just want to throw a quick thanks to Charlie117 for an awesome set of reference pics...will continue working today, more pics coming soon.

@ Kaufmanp92eb- I sand the edges a little, but for the most part if something looks rough, I try to use it as damage when I paint...after all, this suit should look like its been through (heck) over the last decade...

well this took a lot longer than I anticipated...but its pretty darn perfect...I will add some details to it tomorrow...
20140109_012606_zpse512c410.jpg
20140109_012631_zps7ac2768c.jpg
20140109_012700_zps25aa57fd.jpg

Attachments

• 20140109_012606_zpse512c410.jpg
    20140109_012606_zpse512c410.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20140109_012631_zps7ac2768c.jpg
    20140109_012631_zps7ac2768c.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 201
  • 20140109_012700_zps25aa57fd.jpg
    20140109_012700_zps25aa57fd.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 200
I just found some really great gloves at Harbor Freight... Maybe I'll knock out the handpieces today

Finished the gloves today...came out really nice. Got the gloves at Harbor Freight for $10, kevlar lined, leather grip, nice leather detail around the thumb. Got the hand file from Rainbow Dash's H4 MC Thread.

20140109_155456_zpsf85af727.jpg
20140109_155347_zps34bae788.jpg

Thats all for today...unfortunately I have to work all night.

Attachments

• 20140109_155347_zps34bae788.jpg
    20140109_155347_zps34bae788.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 182
  • 20140109_155456_zpsf85af727.jpg
    20140109_155456_zpsf85af727.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 202
First off your build's looking awesome! Second what thickness of foam are those fingerplates, they look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back