Clay Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make a cast from molding a clay sculpture.

Just helping you with the lingo.

Anywho...

Best clay is oil based clay. Won't dry out.

A few things you might want to consider when looking for clay: Size of the piece you'll be sculpting, is it mechanical or organic (or maybe something in between), do you want to be able to sand it after you're done sculpting?

You might want to change the clay depending on the size of the piece (because of the price).

If it's a mechanical type piece you'll want a harder clay to get sharp lineseasier and more organic objects are generally easier with softer clays.

Also if you're not wanting to recycle the clay and have a hard object that you can sand for a smoother finish you can get clays (like sculpey) that are bakeable.

Personally I would (and do) use Chavant NSP clays for everything, it can be expensive depending on where you are... in the States it's way cheap but out here, probably in other places too, it's way expensive. I basically use just the hard clay now, everything else is too soft and sometimes I'll use a custom Chavant mix.

Hope that helps (and makes sense ;) )

Most of all if your gonna be using liquid rubber to make a mold you need to make sure that it doesn't contain sulfer filler as this can cause curing problems in the rubber and cost you wasted time and money. NSP Plasteline Clay is very good I know alot of people who use it and never really had issues with it just mainly with the price. Lol!

I use Chavant NSP Plasticine clay (hard). As it stands right now, using a pepped helmet as my armature/skeleton, I've used up almost 4 pounds. By the time all is said and done, I'll likely have used 5-6 pounds worth.

As a note, when working with harder clays, its nice to have a heat gun around to heat it up prior to application which makes it much easier to get into the rough shape you want, rather than straining the heck out of your hands trying to force it into the shape you want (prior to scraping and whatnot). Any method you can use to heat the clay up to soften it will do just fine, I just like the heat gun because its cheap and it can stay immediately by my side as I work.

thanks to all who commented on this i have so many ideas in my head for props but i know that pep wont work with some of them so i decided to use a clay sculpture then cast it after so it could be lightweight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back